DAFC.net
Home 30 September 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Parking Charge Notice
Topic Originator: Ghoulz  
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 12:47

I was under the impression we Scots were able to ignore PCNs (Parking Charge Notice) because the keeper was not liable under Scots Law and had no obligation to identify the driver (who would be liable).

However the Transport (Scotland) Act 2019 seems to have changed that.

Am I correct in thinking that the liability can now be transferred to the keeper and so PCNs are best paid early in avoidance of the full charge or ultimately inflated court charges.

Do these scum take you to the cleaners now?

Anyone here have specific knowledge/experience?

Ta.

Your friendly neighbourhood Ghoulz.

The Whole Story of The Famous Kinema Ballroom
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Parking Charge Notice
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 12:55

I think it`s a case of roll the dice and take your chances.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 13:19

Also … further research indicates any appeal for illegitimate application of the parking limitations could take 28 days and so you lose the ‘discount’ period of 14 days and so you’re left with pay the unfair lesser sum of £60 or gamble the possibility of a fair hearing against having to pay the full £100!

Scum.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 13:26

Or you could just park within the terms of the car park in question - which is after all someone’s land

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 13:32

My son just got a ticket for passing through Moxi Hotel car park at Edinburgh Airport.
He was there for 15 minutes before moving, I`ve told him to say he was picking someone up.

Post Edited (Fri 12 Aug 13:32)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 16:19

I`m sure that any appeal pauses the claim. However, unless you have a legitimate reason, I`d just avoid any correspondence or pay the fine.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 16:26

Quote:

Ghoulz, Fri 12 Aug 13:19

Also … further research indicates any appeal for illegitimate application of the parking limitations could take 28 days and so you lose the ‘discount’ period of 14 days and so you’re left with pay the unfair lesser sum of £60 or gamble the possibility of a fair hearing against having to pay the full £100!

Scum.

Any appeal not only pauses the 14 days but resets it. So if your appeal is unsuccessful you get 14 days from then to pay at lower rate.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 17:20

I ignored one I got in Dundee last November, After a few threatening letters they went away.

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 19:23

Wife got one at tesco.Ignored it, nothing more heard.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 22:30

Of course you could end up like the Dundee woman who was ordered by the courts to pay fines of £24,500 after ignoring parking tickets.
Basically, you have parked on someone`s land and not upheld your part of the contract and have been caught out. In my opinion you should own up to your dishonesty, and pay the fine
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 23:06

Red star what exact,parking ticket are you taking about.A council one is totally different.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 23:17

The one in Dundee was a woman who did it every single day for ages. Fairly sure it was a space in a housing development and she felt it was "her" space so just ignored the tickets.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 23:30

Red Star makes a valid point. When you park on someone else`s land you are agreeing to a binding contract. Being able to park your vehicle isn`t some basic human right.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Sat 13 Aug 03:54

These scumbag firms like parking eye will NOT chase you through court for a 60 or 100 pound fine. Its not worth their effort.

Red stars example is one that racked up thousands of pounds of fines, not small like the topic originator. It was also years ago.

I personally have experienced this twice now (both times within a year) and the best advice I can give is to ignore, have zero correspondence and get on with things. Dont even appeal as this can be seen as an admission of guilt.
Nothing will happen after a few threat-o-grams letters (each one gets more intimidating and colourful to pressure you into paying)

Unless it`s a council or police fine IGNORE it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sat 13 Aug 07:49

That’s twice I’ve seen reference to “scum” in this thread. Genuine question why are they scum when they aren’t the offending party?

If someone parked in my drive I would think they were scum - why is it totally fine to park on someone else’s land. Also why do the same people happily grasp that it’s not ok to do the same in Council car parks?

Is it a sense of entitlement or a belief that rules don’t apply if there is no easily available legal protections for the parties abused?

It’s not a problem I have ever faced myself because I simply don’t park where I’m not meant to or for longer than allowed - seems like common decency to me 🤷🏻

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 13 Aug 09:07

I`m also surprised at the number of people who seem to get caught out. There were stories about people getting confused by the change of ownership of the car park opposite the Alhambra. This was despite an enormous sign outside it and numerous signs around the car park.

Most of these Parking Eye cameras are in retail parks where you get 2-3 hours free parking. I`m not being funny, but who`s spending more than a couple of hours in B&Q?!

Tesco is the exception as it has a cafe so it feasible that someone might do their shopping then spend some time in the cafe meaning 2 hours could be tight, but the time was reduced as so many people were abusing it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sat 13 Aug 09:38

I think it`s when they take the p***. Charging you when driving through and not able to park, sending fines when people are one minute over, putting up notices that are difficult to see in car parks that uses to be free, sending letters when the machine is broken, etc. Generally speaking I`ll happily pay to use a private car park but I`ve had a few letters from them when there`s been a problem thats beyond my control and I`ve ignored them as the "fine" wasn`t proportional to any "offence" I`ve caused.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Sat 13 Aug 12:35

I just got one of these through the door today from Camden Council. Apparently I went down a street that no vehicles were allowed. The pics they sent, show cars parked on the road that I was driving into and saying no vehicles allowed.

In my defence I was only following waze, so I`d be assuming that waze would have altered me.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sat 13 Aug 15:59

Change your identity and join the foreign legion... Sorted.
You`re welcome.
I`m a problem solver I am

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sun 14 Aug 01:39

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/scotland/law-and-courts/parking-tickets/appealing-parking-tickets/parking-tickets-on-private-land-s/

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club when you shop online with one of 7000 retailers, insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
Or donate £5 - text "DADSC" to 70970

Post Edited (Sun 14 Aug 01:39)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 15 Aug 09:50

It`s also a nice little earner for DVLC, who sell your details to the Private Parking Companies when they ask for them, using your number plate.

I`ve often wondered if that is strictly legal.

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Mon 15 Aug 09:51)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Mon 15 Aug 20:51

GG Riva wrote:

> It`s also a nice little earner for DVLC, who sell your details
> to the Private Parking Companies when they ask for them, using
> your number plate.
>
> I`ve often wondered if that is strictly legal.
>
>
>
> Post Edited (Mon 15 Aug 09:51)

The DVLA claim they don’t make a profit charging £2.50 a pop for your details. Of course that begs the question - why would they do it if they don’t profit? They’re not obligated to pass on info AFAIK. I suspect they’ve automated the process and the marginal cost to them would be close to zero.

Of course this charge is passed on to those who pay the fine, which means you’re not just paying for your own details but for the costs of the frivolous tickets that they couldn’t make stick.

I think the original idea behind their selling of data was it it was preferable to the cowboy clamping companies in England who would charge an old granny £1000 a day till she paid to remove the clamp that was put in place when her exhaust was overhanging the parking bay by 2mm or some other technicality.

Now that we have the technology, I don’t see why car parks can’t be pay on exit and have a fixed per hour rate - none of this £2 for the 1st hour and £100 per second thereafter.

Pay and display car parks’ business model reminds me of Blockbuster Video - all their profits came from late fees.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Aug 21:19

It probably DOES cost that but they`d be maintaining it all anyway and the requests would just go into an online service to give a result. It`s the same with the address database. This is maintained by local authorities, owned by someone central (government?) and sold off to anyone who needs it. A lot of effort goes into ensuring those databases are maintained. No-one wants to move into their new house and find out Amazon won`t deliver to it as it doesn`t exist.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 Aug 03:09

In this case, I use the word `Scum` advisedly, for a firm who charges £100 (most generously `discounted` to a mere £60! for early settlement) for returning to a location 2 mins and 47 seconds less than the prescribed 30 mins (of which the driver was wholly unaware). The two occasions totaled 48 mins (whereas one occasion of 2 hrs is permitted) and both were legitimate visits to a retailer where purchases were made.

Yes as the punctilious above have stated (and congratulations BTW) a parameter was breached but the penalty is hugely disproportionate and their anticipated persecution tactics in the coming weeks/months would be frightening to many.

I expect the 30 min parameter is designed to dissuade non-customers leaving and immediately returning for repeated periods of 2 hrs throughout the day ... and not to punish legitimate paying customers visiting for much shorter periods than the maximum permitted. The park was less than half full and no-one was disadvantaged.

Attempts to discuss by phone have failed ... of course the lines are always busy ... probably with furious victims.

Post Edited (Tue 16 Aug 03:09)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 16 Aug 08:13

I`m sure the driver would have been aware, if he or she had taken the time to read the signs which detail the terms and conditions of use.
In this case, I think it best that you accept you are in the wrong, pay up, apologise to them and treat it as a lesson learned. And, stop calling them scum, when it`s you that`s in the wrong.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 Aug 08:50

TBF, I`m sure most people don`t stop on a budy road to read the small print on the sign.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 Aug 09:22

RSP ... I`m as likely to take your advice as you might imagine but thank you for taking the time to express your considered opinion which is of course valuable to me.

Please store it carefully.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 17 Aug 10:57

Quote:

P, Fri 12 Aug 13:26

Or you could just park within the terms of the car park in question - which is after all someone’s land

I cant disagree with that but the charges are excessive.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net