DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Parking Charge Notice
Topic Originator: Ghoulz  
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 12:47

I was under the impression we Scots were able to ignore PCNs (Parking Charge Notice) because the keeper was not liable under Scots Law and had no obligation to identify the driver (who would be liable).

However the Transport (Scotland) Act 2019 seems to have changed that.

Am I correct in thinking that the liability can now be transferred to the keeper and so PCNs are best paid early in avoidance of the full charge or ultimately inflated court charges.

Do these scum take you to the cleaners now?

Anyone here have specific knowledge/experience?

Ta.

Your friendly neighbourhood Ghoulz.

The Whole Story of The Famous Kinema Ballroom
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Parking Charge Notice
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 12:55

I think it`s a case of roll the dice and take your chances.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 13:19

Also … further research indicates any appeal for illegitimate application of the parking limitations could take 28 days and so you lose the ‘discount’ period of 14 days and so you’re left with pay the unfair lesser sum of £60 or gamble the possibility of a fair hearing against having to pay the full £100!

Scum.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 13:26

Or you could just park within the terms of the car park in question - which is after all someone’s land

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 13:32

My son just got a ticket for passing through Moxi Hotel car park at Edinburgh Airport.
He was there for 15 minutes before moving, I`ve told him to say he was picking someone up.

Post Edited (Fri 12 Aug 13:32)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 16:19

I`m sure that any appeal pauses the claim. However, unless you have a legitimate reason, I`d just avoid any correspondence or pay the fine.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 16:26

Quote:

Ghoulz, Fri 12 Aug 13:19

Also … further research indicates any appeal for illegitimate application of the parking limitations could take 28 days and so you lose the ‘discount’ period of 14 days and so you’re left with pay the unfair lesser sum of £60 or gamble the possibility of a fair hearing against having to pay the full £100!

Scum.

Any appeal not only pauses the 14 days but resets it. So if your appeal is unsuccessful you get 14 days from then to pay at lower rate.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 17:20

I ignored one I got in Dundee last November, After a few threatening letters they went away.

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 19:23

Wife got one at tesco.Ignored it, nothing more heard.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 22:30

Of course you could end up like the Dundee woman who was ordered by the courts to pay fines of £24,500 after ignoring parking tickets.
Basically, you have parked on someone`s land and not upheld your part of the contract and have been caught out. In my opinion you should own up to your dishonesty, and pay the fine
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 23:06

Red star what exact,parking ticket are you taking about.A council one is totally different.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 23:17

The one in Dundee was a woman who did it every single day for ages. Fairly sure it was a space in a housing development and she felt it was "her" space so just ignored the tickets.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Aug 23:30

Red Star makes a valid point. When you park on someone else`s land you are agreeing to a binding contract. Being able to park your vehicle isn`t some basic human right.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Sat 13 Aug 03:54

These scumbag firms like parking eye will NOT chase you through court for a 60 or 100 pound fine. Its not worth their effort.

Red stars example is one that racked up thousands of pounds of fines, not small like the topic originator. It was also years ago.

I personally have experienced this twice now (both times within a year) and the best advice I can give is to ignore, have zero correspondence and get on with things. Dont even appeal as this can be seen as an admission of guilt.
Nothing will happen after a few threat-o-grams letters (each one gets more intimidating and colourful to pressure you into paying)

Unless it`s a council or police fine IGNORE it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sat 13 Aug 07:49

That’s twice I’ve seen reference to “scum” in this thread. Genuine question why are they scum when they aren’t the offending party?

If someone parked in my drive I would think they were scum - why is it totally fine to park on someone else’s land. Also why do the same people happily grasp that it’s not ok to do the same in Council car parks?

Is it a sense of entitlement or a belief that rules don’t apply if there is no easily available legal protections for the parties abused?

It’s not a problem I have ever faced myself because I simply don’t park where I’m not meant to or for longer than allowed - seems like common decency to me 🤷🏻

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 13 Aug 09:07

I`m also surprised at the number of people who seem to get caught out. There were stories about people getting confused by the change of ownership of the car park opposite the Alhambra. This was despite an enormous sign outside it and numerous signs around the car park.

Most of these Parking Eye cameras are in retail parks where you get 2-3 hours free parking. I`m not being funny, but who`s spending more than a couple of hours in B&Q?!

Tesco is the exception as it has a cafe so it feasible that someone might do their shopping then spend some time in the cafe meaning 2 hours could be tight, but the time was reduced as so many people were abusing it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sat 13 Aug 09:38

I think it`s when they take the p***. Charging you when driving through and not able to park, sending fines when people are one minute over, putting up notices that are difficult to see in car parks that uses to be free, sending letters when the machine is broken, etc. Generally speaking I`ll happily pay to use a private car park but I`ve had a few letters from them when there`s been a problem thats beyond my control and I`ve ignored them as the "fine" wasn`t proportional to any "offence" I`ve caused.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Sat 13 Aug 12:35

I just got one of these through the door today from Camden Council. Apparently I went down a street that no vehicles were allowed. The pics they sent, show cars parked on the road that I was driving into and saying no vehicles allowed.

In my defence I was only following waze, so I`d be assuming that waze would have altered me.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sat 13 Aug 15:59

Change your identity and join the foreign legion... Sorted.
You`re welcome.
I`m a problem solver I am

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sun 14 Aug 01:39

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/scotland/law-and-courts/parking-tickets/appealing-parking-tickets/parking-tickets-on-private-land-s/

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (DADSC) when you shop online with one of 7000 firms: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc[

Post Edited (Sun 14 Aug 01:39)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 15 Aug 09:50

It`s also a nice little earner for DVLC, who sell your details to the Private Parking Companies when they ask for them, using your number plate.

I`ve often wondered if that is strictly legal.

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Mon 15 Aug 09:51)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Mon 15 Aug 20:51

GG Riva wrote:

> It`s also a nice little earner for DVLC, who sell your details
> to the Private Parking Companies when they ask for them, using
> your number plate.
>
> I`ve often wondered if that is strictly legal.
>
>
>
> Post Edited (Mon 15 Aug 09:51)

The DVLA claim they don’t make a profit charging £2.50 a pop for your details. Of course that begs the question - why would they do it if they don’t profit? They’re not obligated to pass on info AFAIK. I suspect they’ve automated the process and the marginal cost to them would be close to zero.

Of course this charge is passed on to those who pay the fine, which means you’re not just paying for your own details but for the costs of the frivolous tickets that they couldn’t make stick.

I think the original idea behind their selling of data was it it was preferable to the cowboy clamping companies in England who would charge an old granny £1000 a day till she paid to remove the clamp that was put in place when her exhaust was overhanging the parking bay by 2mm or some other technicality.

Now that we have the technology, I don’t see why car parks can’t be pay on exit and have a fixed per hour rate - none of this £2 for the 1st hour and £100 per second thereafter.

Pay and display car parks’ business model reminds me of Blockbuster Video - all their profits came from late fees.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Aug 21:19

It probably DOES cost that but they`d be maintaining it all anyway and the requests would just go into an online service to give a result. It`s the same with the address database. This is maintained by local authorities, owned by someone central (government?) and sold off to anyone who needs it. A lot of effort goes into ensuring those databases are maintained. No-one wants to move into their new house and find out Amazon won`t deliver to it as it doesn`t exist.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 Aug 03:09

In this case, I use the word `Scum` advisedly, for a firm who charges £100 (most generously `discounted` to a mere £60! for early settlement) for returning to a location 2 mins and 47 seconds less than the prescribed 30 mins (of which the driver was wholly unaware). The two occasions totaled 48 mins (whereas one occasion of 2 hrs is permitted) and both were legitimate visits to a retailer where purchases were made.

Yes as the punctilious above have stated (and congratulations BTW) a parameter was breached but the penalty is hugely disproportionate and their anticipated persecution tactics in the coming weeks/months would be frightening to many.

I expect the 30 min parameter is designed to dissuade non-customers leaving and immediately returning for repeated periods of 2 hrs throughout the day ... and not to punish legitimate paying customers visiting for much shorter periods than the maximum permitted. The park was less than half full and no-one was disadvantaged.

Attempts to discuss by phone have failed ... of course the lines are always busy ... probably with furious victims.

Post Edited (Tue 16 Aug 03:09)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 Aug 08:13

I`m sure the driver would have been aware, if he or she had taken the time to read the signs which detail the terms and conditions of use.
In this case, I think it best that you accept you are in the wrong, pay up, apologise to them and treat it as a lesson learned. And, stop calling them scum, when it`s you that`s in the wrong.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 Aug 08:50

TBF, I`m sure most people don`t stop on a budy road to read the small print on the sign.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 Aug 09:22

RSP ... I`m as likely to take your advice as you might imagine but thank you for taking the time to express your considered opinion which is of course valuable to me.

Please store it carefully.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 17 Aug 10:57

Quote:

P, Fri 12 Aug 13:26

Or you could just park within the terms of the car park in question - which is after all someone’s land

I cant disagree with that but the charges are excessive.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dumpster  
Date:   Wed 28 Dec 17:36

Hi,

My wife has just been issued with written parking charge notice via post in relation to Carnegie retail park. She couldn’t find parking space (weekend before Christmas) so drove round and out again within a couple of mins without stopping. She went elsewhere to do something and came back 29 mins later when she was able to find a space and park up. Her charge relates to breaching the non return within 30 mins rule even though she was unable to park first time around. Should we ignore the letter altogether or appeal the charge? Advice appreciated. Thanks.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Dec 20:39

Ignore
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Dec 22:36

Get it paid and follow the rules in future
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 08:15

Surely it depends on how the "rules" are defined.
What is the clause relating to returning within 30 mins, ie what does returning mean if you didn’t actually stop in the previous occasion, do they say something along the lines of parking or using the car park and if so what does that constitute?
I’d check out the terms and conditions as a start

Post Edited (Thu 29 Dec 08:17)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 14:45

Ignore.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 15:38

Ignore it and RSP, DBP.
It’s not enforceable.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 22:04

Ignore. Don`t make contact under any circumstances. Will send three or four but will then go away.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sun 1 Jan 02:09

I am on a fourth with court action being threatened.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 1 Jan 10:49

Should be your last one desperado.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alf  
Date:   Mon 2 Jan 19:20

My daughter got a parking charge for being in Halbeath retail park for over 24hrs when her car was parked at the house, luckily my dash cam footage I provided proved where her car was, received a letter saying no further action, the ANPR cameras do miss things,
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Mon 2 Jan 20:27

Did they provide a picture? Has someone cloned it?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Mon 2 Jan 20:28

Quote:

GG4, Sun 1 Jan 10:49

With this, is it not the case that they`re unlikely to follow up on you because they might just deem it not worth there while, but it`s not guaranteed?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alf  
Date:   Mon 2 Jan 20:42

Quote:

ipswichpar, Mon 2 Jan 20:27

Did they provide a picture? Has someone cloned it?

They did, she was at Asda two days in a row, they had a photo of her going in one day and coming out the following day,
No photo of her leaving on the first day, or going back in the next day
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Jan 21:00

That`s not the worst outcome then....was worried it was someone up to no good!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 3 Jan 18:45

Regardless of whatever action is taken, I am pretty sure the charges they can impose are capped at £40

Post Edited (Tue 03 Jan 18:46)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 3 Jan 19:02

Topic Originator: Grant
Date: Mon 2 Jan 20:28

Quote:

With this, is it not the case that they`re unlikely to follow up on you because they might just deem it not worth there while, but it`s not guaranteed?

Yes, it`s not worth their while chasing it Grant. The final and 4th letter will be from a back street solicitor demanding payment at an enhanced rate. Ignore that too.
In my case, I`ve been through this twice. I can`t stress enough that ZERO contact must happen. Appealing is a sign of guilt. These companies have NO authority in Scotland (at the moment) just a cash cow with empty threats banking on you paying up because you get intimidated into paying it with the way the letters are worded.

Post Edited (Tue 03 Jan 19:03)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 3 Jan 19:41

As people say- just ignore all correspondence and they will eventually stop. Done this quite a few times over the years without any issues.
It’s ridiculous that shoppers get punished for shopping, I would get it if parking was a premium like the Carnegie retail pk but I don’t get the Halbeath one or places like Aldi. Cash cow indeed

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 3 Jan 20:53

Quote:

GG4, Tue 3 Jan 19:02

Topic Originator: Grant
Date: Mon 2 Jan 20:28

Quote:

Yes, it`s not worth their while chasing it Grant. The final and 4th letter will be from a back street solicitor demanding payment at an enhanced rate. Ignore that too.
In my case, I`ve been through this twice. I can`t stress enough that ZERO contact must happen. Appealing is a sign of guilt. These companies have NO authority in Scotland (at the moment) just a cash cow with empty threats banking on you paying up because you get intimidated into paying it with the way the letters are worded.

Just so folk know - at least half of this post is factually incorrect. Parking Charge Notifications are issued as parking in a private car park is considered a civil contract and when the terms are breached they are legally enforceable in Scotland and have been for a while where the parking terms are clearly stated and the parking company has acted legally.

Appealing the ticket is not under any circumstances an admission of guilt as there are plenty of times where parking charge notices are erroneously issued. You could appeal one, disagree with the issuer when they don`t revoke it and still go to court and win as long as you are in the right.

You might well be able to ignore the letters and only a few companies are taking people to court to put down a marker. For the most part it won`t be worth their while taking you to court so that much is right but if you were in the wrong and they do take you to court then you`ll have the additional fees to pay.

You pays (or not) your money and you take your chances but whatever you decide don`t make the mistake of thinking the charges can`t be enforced as they can.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 3 Jan 21:37

The fact that they continue to send the letters but don`t appear to be taking many to court suggests that they have way too much time on their hands or that, at each stage, they are seeing a significant enough percentage pay the fine doesn`t it?!? I don`t think I`ve ever heard of someone admitting to pay.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 3 Jan 21:51

I think that`s why they were keen for a few high profile wins. It probably did bump up the number that paid.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 3 Jan 23:23

Edit Cant be arsed. Take my advice or not, thats your choice.

I`m speaking from experience, twice. It`s clearly worked for me.

Post Edited (Tue 03 Jan 23:25)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 3 Jan 23:29

The end result might be that folk can get away with ignoring them in the vast majority of cases but you`re wrong in what you`ve posted so it`s better that folk are making decisions based on accurate info. Just because you`ve not been taken to court doesn`t mean it can`t and hasn`t been done.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Jan 00:34

I`ve said all that need to be said on this subject.

If folk want to pay an trumped up invoice then doad on. Its unenforceable up here.

Post Edited (Wed 04 Jan 00:55)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Jan 00:50

https://www.accidentlawscotland.co.uk/blog/when-to-challenge-private-parking-charges.cfm

Like LPF says roll the dice and take your chances if you wish. As those in that link discovered though sometimes they won`t roll in your favour.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Wed 4 Jan 01:42

Quote:

GG4, Wed 4 Jan 00:34

If folk want to pay an trumped up invoice then doad on. Its unenforceable up here.

It is enforceable though, for the most part it`s not worth there hassle.

There`s a difference, as has been said roll the dice, 99/100 you`ll be fine.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Jan 01:52

Absolutely 100% are enforceable and claims can be made as far back as 6 years.

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/members/journal/issues/vol-63-issue-07/the-perils-of-parking/

This is a good link as it covers quite a few of the key test cases and also confirms that recovery costs on top of the original amount are liable. Interest at 8% is also potentially applicable and operators can also apply for CCJs which shaft your credit rating and wages arestement a month after the judgement. The student nurse in the case had 8 outstanding £40 tickets which is obviously £320 and ended up paying £1085.

If anyone really wants to get hardcore you can read the full judgement here:

https://www.studocu.com/en-gb/document/middlesex-university-london/contract-law/indigo-park-services-uk-ltd-v-watson/39486593

It`s probably unlikely you`ll get chased for one ticket but seeing as how companies have chased and won cases that started off at £320 it`s clear that the threshold where folk will come gunning for you varies by company and is actually pretty low. Folk need to stop perpetuating that it`s not enforceable as that`s how the big cases like this happened:

https://www.scotsman.com/regions/dundee-and-tayside/dundee-parking-fine-woman-declared-bankrupt-ps37000-debts-2466346

That was a collection of individual £100 charges that would have been £60 a day if paid early or £40 a month if she`d paid for a parking permit.

On a side note my old man has had three charge notifications overturned for different reasons as they were all issued incorrectly and he`s a cantankerous old git and at no point considered it an appeal or an admission of guilt and made that pretty clear in his correspondence with them.

If folk on here don`t want to pay the charges that`s fair enough but make the decisions on accurate info not myths about parking charges not being enforceable. They really are.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Jan 01:57

Quote:

Grant, Wed 4 Jan 01:42

Quote:

GG4, Wed 4 Jan 00:34

It is enforceable though, for the most part it`s not worth there hassle.

There`s a difference, as has been said roll the dice, 99/100 you`ll be fine.

Is probably the more succinct way to put it!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Jan 04:01

Your arguing with the UK experts in particular Martin Lewis and legal representatives.

I did get legal advice and was advised by a lawyer to ignore it. Guess what? Absolutely nothing after 4th letter. TWICE.

Its Unenforceable unless its a POLICE or COUNCIL Fine.

Post Edited (Wed 04 Jan 04:10)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Jan 04:23

You do realise the links above are to actual court documents in Scotland and the UK?

Is that the Martin Lewis that runs this website where it specifically says:

"There are some militant private parking campaigners out there who argue you simply shouldn`t pay the ticket or have any contact with the company that issued it.

To be clear, we don`t suggest you take this approach, particularly because if you`ve been ticketed by a company which is a member of an accredited trade body, it can apply to the DVLA for your details. But we`re including this approach here anyway because you may hear some advocate it."

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets/

That actually tells you ways you can challenge the charges but down at the bottom there is a section on the court processes mainly because you can be taken to court.

I`m not really sure how no action being taken against you equates to the charges not being enforceable.

If you really did get someone from a law firm to tell you to ignore the letters it was very likely a mate that told you in practice very little was likely to happen but you definitely haven`t had legal advice saying they aren`t enforceable 🙈 .net is a strange place at times.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Wed 4 Jan 05:28

They aren`t coming after you for a one off. The cost and hassle to them outweighs the money they would recoup from the `fine`.

They have went after at least one person in Scotland previously though and won. Bloke was apparently returning the same place daily for a couple of months getting a new ticket after day thinking he was safe from it not being enforcable.

Was a while ago now but i think it was the old PC World carpark near the SECC / Hydro for those familiar with Glasgow.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Jan 09:19

The case I`m aware of in Scotland was a person who repeatedly parked in "their space" within a housing development that wasn`t "their space". Rather than sort out the confusion, she just ignored all the tickets and parked there for months. Slightly different to someone overstaying by 5 minutes.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Jan 12:17

LondonParsFan has it nailed. He obviously knows what he is talking about so I would ignore all else and follow his advice.

I would also like to ask him. What he knows of the £40 cap which I definitely read somewhere.
It might be variable in different authorities or maybe just in England.

I think I read it is blanket in England and up to the local authourity in Scotland.

Post Edited (Wed 04 Jan 12:18)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Jan 14:37

Well, my wife has just managed to get me delivered a £40 charge today which rises to £70 if not paid promptly. If this isn`t legal it`ll be interesting to see why they are confident enough to put this on the letter.

Bit mental places are happy for loyal customers to be charged like this for staying 3.5 minutes over (appreciate that someone else does the car parking fines but we were their, I assume, for shopping not to use the car park). Might have been a return visit on the same day....I`ll find out later after she`s heard the news and stopped throwing things at me. I suspect we won`t be shopping there again which is a bit short sighted on their behalf.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sammy_Must_Die  
Date:   Wed 4 Jan 15:00

Quote:

TAFKA_Super_Petrie, Wed 4 Jan 05:28

They aren`t coming after you for a one off. The cost and hassle to them outweighs the money they would recoup from the `fine`.

They have went after at least one person in Scotland previously though and won. Bloke was apparently returning the same place daily for a couple of months getting a new ticket after day thinking he was safe from it not being enforcable.

Was a while ago now but i think it was the old PC World carpark near the SECC / Hydro for those familiar with Glasgow.

Right across the road from my office and we used to see the same people get tickets every single day!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Jan 15:49

I`ve heard of folk in Edinburgh paying the fines cos it`s cheaper than getting a ticket for the day (this is in pay and display areas obviously).
I don`t blame them .... I paid £4.70 about a month ago to park for one hour in Fountainbridge.
Crazy prices

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Jan 16:10

I feel the same way, IpswichPar.

The problem that supermarkets and retail parks have is that people would take the p*** and park cars there all day to go to work, gym or football. Doesn`t seem a big deal until a genuine shopper can`t get parked and traders miss out.

Probably not an issue at the likes of ASDA or Duloch Tesco though.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Jan 18:56

Quote:

PARrot, Wed 4 Jan 12:17

LondonParsFan has it nailed. He obviously knows what he is talking about so I would ignore all else and follow his advice.

I would also like to ask him. What he knows of the £40 cap which I definitely read somewhere.
It might be variable in different authorities or maybe just in England.

I think I read it is blanket in England and up to the local authourity in Scotland.

Thanks PARrot. The only advice I`m really giving is don`t think the tickets aren`t enforceable and it might be worth doing a bit of research on which ticket companies do go after low value tickets after that folk can take their chances.

I think the proposed caps were part of the new parking code of practice that was announced but the code faced legal challenges and two judicial reviews were launched.

The proposed limits were published in this now revoked guidance note:

[URL=https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/private-parking-code-of-practice/private-parking-code-of-practice#annex-c-permissible-maximum-parking-charges-and-mandatory-discounts]link to info[/URL]

I think the main focus of the challenges were the parking charge price caps and the proposal to prohibit allowing the addition of recovery fees to the parking charge if cases did go to court.

I think it`s a bit too early to tell where we will land on the parking charge cap front (although even under the cap the fines could still have been £100 in some cases) but I suspect they might win the argument on being able to add some form of recovery fee to parking charges as I don`t know how you can differentiate that from the fees that a bank would charge for pursuing a deliquint loan etc although that is definitely speculation on my part.

In the responses to these submissions the Gov state they will complete the review within two years on both fronts so may be a while yet before we know where we stand.

link
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Jan 19:25

Such a waste of time once you get stuck into this!

Apparently any fines need to be sent within 15 days.....is that sent or arrive within 15 days?!? Ours was on 16 December or something and only arrived today so it`s well over 15 days` arriv, and I`d argue it should be the arrival date rather than the sent date. It was dated 28th so they appear to have delayed issuing it and then sent it by pigeon 😀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Wed 4 Jan 21:33

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-35772704

Found the one i was referring to last night. Not PC World but just over the road :-p

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Jan 21:45

"The company claimed that on each occasion Mr Wales was issued with a ticket he did not appeal, and that he later said he had been told and read online that charges for private parking were not enforceable in Scotland."

But what about the legal experts 🙈
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Jan 11:21

Called up the owner of the site and they have waived the charge.

Same with insurance quotes at the moment.....come in with a big increase, one call and they`ll take a wedge off. Daft really.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Jan 13:31

Quote:

ipswichpar, Thu 5 Jan 11:21

Called up the owner of the site and they have waived the charge.

Same with insurance quotes at the moment.....come in with a big increase, one call and they`ll take a wedge off. Daft really.

It`s always been that way with insurers hasn`t it ?
I`ve certainly never accepted the renewal and have always got a better price after asking .

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Jan 18:11

Yes. But it seems more extreme. The price went up by 40 quid (about 20 per cent or something) but they reduced it by 50 quid. Just seems very strange...some sort of random price generator.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dumpster  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 20:28

I very much appreciated LPF’s advice. I appealed our parking charge notice issued via APNR at Carnegie retail park on the basis that we had not contravened the rules and it has been rescinded quickly, so good result.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 21:01

Me and the family have had a few parking invoices over the years in both Scotland and England. I never intentionally invite these charges as I always pay local machines etc. when parking. However mistakes are made and when these drop through the letter box I ignore them and after a few threatening letters…they stop.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 11:42

Quote:

Dumpster, Tue 10 Jan 20:28

I very much appreciated LPF’s advice. I appealed our parking charge notice issued via APNR at Carnegie retail park on the basis that we had not contravened the rules and it has been rescinded quickly, so good result.

Glad to hear you had a positive outcome mate. In the majority of those kind of cases it`s normally quite an easy fix. Your situation sounded similar to two of the ones my dad got and he was able to have them removed quite easily too. A bit of a hassle having to actually explain what happened but normally draws a line under it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Thu 20 Jul 15:11

Got one a couple of weeks ago, alleging that I overstayed the permitted 2 hours at a service station MOTO Lancaster, and I should pay 168 Euro immediately.
Apparently I was there from 5.30am for 2.5 hours.
Sure, it was me, driving back to my daughter’s graduation.

However, it was 03 July 2022…

Sent by priority post, from Sweden, with a German bank account number.

They got my Lux details from somewhere, and a reminder arrived yesterday.

Before deciding to ignore, or taking the front foot and telling them to hoop it - i read up a bit.

‘Protection of Freedoms act 2012’ is mentioned in the header, so I head there.
Schedule 4 states that they should send a notice within 14 days - hmm

I tell them that they are approx 300 days too late, and to hoop it.
No response yet

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Jul 10:36

Don`t engage with then just ignore it. If like fishing for them,They send you these letters and hope that you respond.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Neil_Philp  
Date:   Fri 21 Jul 18:17

I don`t pay them from those private companies.
There are a scam.

***edited previous post. Way too ranty***

Post Edited (Sat 22 Jul 13:59)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net