DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Deposit scheme
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 20 Jan 16:32

They are building the new Deposit Plant next to my local Aldi and it says on the poster 20p deposit .. Scotland has included glass bottles but not England ??

Post Edited (Fri 20 Jan 16:35)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Deposit scheme
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 20 Jan 18:40

Is this ran by Aldi itself? The Lidl I go to has had a deposit return machine running for quite a while now.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 20 Jan 19:16

I think it is a government scheme towk .. no idea how it works or what 20p gets you .. Aldi probably get a cut as its on their land maybe ?

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Fri 20 Jan 20:26

They run a similar scheme in Finland where all businesses over a certain size that sells the products whose packaging has deposits are required to provide space for the machines.

The scheme seems to work well there and is used mainly by folk who are struggling or young folk looking to make pocket money - people generally leave the deposit redeemable bottles next to bins in public and people who want to make a few euros gather them up and take them to the supermarket. I didn`t use the machine myself but it seemed to be a simple case of dropping the bottles in, their bar codes are read, and the machine prints out a receipt that you take to the checkout where you receive the cash.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 20 Jan 21:22

Cheers Wotsit .. can remember as a boy collecting all the ginger/lemonade bottles to get money back from the shops ..

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARanoid_Android  
Date:   Fri 20 Jan 21:57

20p deposit on every metal, plastic and glass single use drinks containers from August. You get the deposit returned via Reverse Vending Machines which will give you a receipt/voucher to use against your next shop and is what the major supermarkets will be establishing in their car parks etc. In smaller settings and retailers it will be manual return. Government scheme which is probably the biggest social behaviour change since the smoking ban, full details here

Post Edited (Fri 20 Jan 22:01)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 20 Jan 21:59

No idea why link never worked first time details here - https://depositreturnscheme.zerowastescotland.org.uk/
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 08:29

I did not realise that the 20p was added on to the product first and then if you can be bothered take it to the shop .. scan it and get your 20p back

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 08:34

Not keen on the "to use against your next shop" bit.

What if folk want to spend their money on, say, paying their phone bill, or anything else not generally sold in supermarkets?

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 09:10

Quote:

Wotsit, Sat 21 Jan 08:34

What if folk want to spend their money on, say, paying their phone bill, or anything else not generally sold in supermarkets?

Then spend the deposit money in the shop and use the money in your wallet/bank to pay the phone bill.

The likes of Lidl and Aldi aren`t doing this out the goodness of their hearts. They want to keep you coming back in.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 09:21

Where do you put the bottles ? .. will it be like the bottle bank .. after scanning do you smash them ? .. or is the idea to re-use them ?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 10:37

The bottles go into the machine for recycling, or are handed back to retailer. They are then collected and the retailer given the deposit for that material. The 20p `floats` around the system/supply chain from producer right through to consumer.

Post Edited (Sat 21 Jan 10:38)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 10:49

Lidl in Kirkcaldy has one. Looks like the bottles just get put in like a bottle bank and it goes down a conveyor belt.

Does it matter what bottles they are? Like could you take a Lidl fizzy water bottle to Aldi?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 10:56

Quote:

jake89, Sat 21 Jan 09:10

Quote:

Wotsit, Sat 21 Jan 08:34

Then spend the deposit money in the shop and use the money in your wallet/bank to pay the phone bill.

The likes of Lidl and Aldi aren`t doing this out the goodness of their hearts. They want to keep you coming back in.

That`s not the point. It is a deposit, people essentially paid them to "rent" the bottle. It`s not like Aldi is donating 20p per bottle out of kindness - they will be charging people 20p extra to buy the product: 20p of the customer`s cash.

Besides which, in case you hadn`t noticed, many people, maybe even most, often don`t have cash in their wallet these days.

Post Edited (Sat 21 Jan 10:57)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 11:29

Ah, I`ve read up on it now and it`s effectively circular. You pay 20p, it goes into a big fund, you get 20p back and they claim that 20p back from the big fund.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 14:24

Lorna Slater is running this. She was the one running oot of the chamber on Thursday when a point of order was raised about her misleading Parliament on Scottish renewable energy estimates.
It is a repeatedly delayed much amended shambles of a scheme which may never even survive at all

Post Edited (Sat 21 Jan 14:34)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 16:36

Sounds like this is an awful lot like the glass bottles you used to take back for 30p.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 17:14

I`ve done this in Denmark but at quiet times with not much to return. The machine was quite slow as I recall.
With a family of 5 I`d guess we`ll have a dozen cans, 6 plastic bottles and a couple of glass bottles a week to return. How will the machines at supermarkets handle the volume at peak times I wonder?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 18:41

Remember as a kid getting into the pictures with jam jars.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 19:11

Topic Originator: donj like
Date: Sat 21 Jan 18:41

Remember as a kid getting into the pictures with jam jars.

donji .. either you are 80+ or you threw them at the windaes to get in :-))

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: brian  
Date:   Mon 27 Feb 17:52

This scheme is a farce and not viable

The only people to profit are the companies making the returns equipment. How do they get paid ?

All it`s going to do is ramp up everyone`s cost of shopping.
If I`m in a cafe or pub and get a tin of iron brew, will I get charged 20p and have to take it home to be recycled ?

I recycle all my tins, bottles, plastic. That`s a nice simple solution

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Feb 19:55

I don`t know the ins and outs of it but do know that in Canada it`s common to see beggars collecting bottles and cans because they get money back for them.

It`s not really much different to how the old Barr`s bottles worked years ago, surely?

A simpler solution would be to encourage us all to stop being so manky! Every time I take the dog out I am astonished by all the cans (usually Monster Energy) and bottles dumped on the street. Go to mainland Europe or somewhere like Australia and it`s much cleaner. Our streets are a disgrace and you can`t blame it all on the council. People are just manky!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Feb 20:06

will it stop people dumping rubbish on the streets etc. ? I`m not so sure.

yes indeed there used to be a bottle return, was it 10p on a bottle.
there was a reason they stopped it, wasn`t viable?

think things will be dearer because somebody has to pay for it (if you pay 20p and get 20p back). maybe they are relying on people just binning their tins/bottles and so everything will just be 20p dearer :o)

Aldi 6 bottles water £1.19. 20p on top is now £2.39
or do I have that wrong,
yes, you perhaps manage to get your bottles returned, but you need some large bins/bags to store all this

just now it`s stored in an outside recycle bin for the council to pick up - and I guess that begs another question about the cost to the council for recyclying :o)

can see the debate going on for a while

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Mon 27 Feb 20:38

I`ve used the system in Denmark and it worked well enough.
Like you Brian, it won`t make me recycle more because I do it already. We go though quite a lot of drinks cans and apart from a £10 pack of diet coke becoming nearly £15, I can see the queue now at the supermarkets at peak times while people get rid of their stuff. It rips my knitting as it is having to waste time swiping the qr key fob in Tesco 6 times, as it was yesterday, for it to refuse to release the scan as you shop handset.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Tue 28 Feb 01:51

Charity bins will be popping up everywhere and some might not be charities ;(

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 28 Feb 08:52

I suspect those who live near the border will not be much bothered - anecdotal stories about punters who buy their alcohol in Berwick etc. to avoid the minimum unit price - now similar option to bodyswerve the desposit scheme.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Tue 28 Feb 09:25

...or buy in Berwick and return in Scotland.

Will they be able to tell if a deposit has been paid? Can we start hoarding them now?

I`d have thought there`d be new labelling but it would have to be Scotland specific and I can`t see that happening for much of what we currently have access to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Tue 28 Feb 10:56

How many 20ps would I need to make the journey worthwhile?
I get about 35 to the gallon
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Tue 28 Feb 13:14

Surprised some see this scheme as non viable when it works perfectly well in Europe.
When I was in Germany, I`d save all my bottles and cans till end of the month and get a receipt for around 30 euros to buy more drinks.
It is better for the environment and means you are less likely to overfill your bins at home.

People of my generation will, of course, remember the glass bottle return scheme in the 70`s and 80`s which was done differently but much the same in essence.

Are folks saying they are just too lazy to do this when it is proven to be beneficial to the planet?

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 28 Feb 13:31

I used to go hunting for discarded juice bottles in fields when I was a wee lad.
3p per bottle.

I could buy a fair whack of sweets at the corner shop on William Street/Pittencrieff Street with 9p

Happy days

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 28 Feb 13:54

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Tue 28 Feb 13:14

Are folks saying they are just too lazy to do this when it is proven to be beneficial to the planet?

Going by the number of water bottles discarded,

Aye!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 28 Feb 14:17

Everyone seems to pay lip service to `net zero` but when it comes to the crunch it always seems to be a case of kicking the can down the road (sorry!).

The latest suggestion is that we should delay our scheme until the UK scheme is introduced. Why can`t the UK bring their scheme forward?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 28 Feb 15:04

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 28 Feb 14:17

Everyone seems to pay lip service to `net zero` but when it comes to the crunch it always seems to be a case of kicking the can down the road (sorry!).

The latest suggestion is that we should delay our scheme until the UK scheme is introduced. Why can`t the UK bring their scheme forward?

Possibly because neither are anywhere near ready?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Feb 16:51

Why not?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Cleveland12  
Date:   Thu 2 Mar 10:58

Embarrassed by the number of grown adults online getting their knickers in a twist about this scheme. It`s clearly sensible, easy to do and works right across Europe and Canada. PARanoid_Android is right, it`s about changing behaviours.
Glad most on here have fond memories of collecting bottles when they were wee like me.

Also, buying multipack bottles of water is mental behaviour. One reusable metal or plastic bottle and delicious Fife water - available from any tap. Job done

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 Mar 12:34

Quote:

Cleveland12, Thu 2 Mar 10:58[/]

Also, buying multipack bottles of water is mental behaviour. One reusable metal or plastic bottle and delicious Fife water - available from any tap. Job done

Never was a problem till bottled water came about, as you say Scottish water is lovely, cannot say the same about South of the border with the crap that`s getting dumped in their rivers.

Feargal Sharkey leading the campaign!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 Mar 12:50

Apparently the `hard` water down south actually has health benefits that our water up here doesn`t have. Something about the minerals, which is what gives it a different taste, having positive effects on cardiovascular health.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 Mar 13:31

I remember "chewing " a glass of water in the 70`s down in London 🤯😱

Post Edited (Thu 02 Mar 13:32)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 2 Mar 14:18

Yeah I`d only bought bottles of water for going to play 5s prior to moving to London and used to think folk never really needed to pay for bottles but the stuff down there is rank rotten so it became one of the first things in the shopping basket.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 Mar 14:40

None if the three FM candidates are happy about it.
Kate Forbes in particular, says it will cause economic carnage.
Yet the mad Canadian bat pays no attention

Post Edited (Thu 02 Mar 14:42)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 Mar 16:28

I didn`t realise this also includes drinks cans as well.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Thu 2 Mar 16:41

At our Bowling club ,all the bottles and cans are taken to our local recycling center by wheelbarrow.
We will now have to store cans and bottles,untill we have to take them by car to the nearest deposit machine , it only takes ones with complete bar code s and not damaged cans , so we may only get money back on half the bottles and cans ,then have to take back the useless ones , or if you are not fussed chuck them in the nearest ditch .
Sledge hammer for a nut ,comes to mind ,most folk who litter aren`t going to hang on to a bottle/can to get 20p back ,so they will still end up as waste .

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 Mar 21:45

The kind of genius who thinks it`s acceptable to throw a tin of Monster out his white van window or empty plastic bottle of Fanta out his Corsa window is not going to care one jot that it will cost him 20p more and will continue to do things the way they`ve always done.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 Mar 22:01

Sadly that’s true da, and don’t think anything would immediately change their behaviour - but like any social change, if you change the behaviour of those around them, then after time who knows
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Mar 07:36

Our CirculaiityScatland ( that’s how it sounds when she screeches it) Minister has now sent a formal internal market exemption request to Westminster.

I’m sure she has said repeatedly in Holyrood that she or Sturgeon had already made a request, and has repeatedly bad mouthed Alistair Jack for saying otherwise.

Can we expect to see this windmill arm waving nut case done for misleading Parliament?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Mar 07:51

DRS has been discussed for almost 2 years now. It`s all in public record too.

Starting to think I could get a job at the Herald given how poor their journalism has become.

When will Holyrood get a response about the GRA?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Mar 08:49

It’s all over the news.
Blethering about the scheme but not seeking approval, blaming Jack for not responding to a request that was never made, 600 companies refusing to sigh up…just another Nat fiasco.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Mar 09:49

Formal request would only come late on when details are confirmed. Standard practice.

The proposed DRS is a result of a bill passed in Westminster over two years ago. It should be of no surprise to Westminster. TBH if any minister claims otherwise I`d be genuinely worried about what else they`re unaware of!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Mar 15:49

Looks like Scots businesses could have some good news soon!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Mar 16:00

What`s that? That they can continue to trash the planet?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Mar 22:36

£57 million in a year

that`s what the compamy implementing it expect to make from people who don`t want to return their bottles cans.

no wonder they are so keen on it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 13 Mar 23:47

If there`s genuinely £57 million quids worth of laziness in Scotland when it comes to recycling then that company deserves to be taking money off the jake balls.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sintv  
Date:   Tue 14 Mar 09:22

Years ago Grundig had a scheme where you bought a TV and got your money back after 5 years via your receipt. Less than 10% claimed back and we`re talking £3 - 500 at that time.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 Mar 10:40

There will be recycling scheme, a Uk wide one!
Cue fury and and…nothing really

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Tue 14 Mar 10:41

Where do we think the cans and bottles that can`t be scanned will end up ?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 Mar 10:53

Quote:

Parboiled, Tue 14 Mar 10:40

There will be recycling scheme, a Uk wide one!
Cue fury and and…nothing really

So the scheme that is "unworkable" in Scotland will magically work in the UK...genius.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 Mar 11:18

Why couldn`t the UK scheme be brought forward? It`s almost as if Westminster doesn`t want to be seen to be following Scotland`s lead.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Mar 12:43

Interesting criticism that it`ll hit those in rural areas and the elderly who won`t be easily able to get to return points. Call me stupid, but if the return points are typically at the shop you purchase the bottle/can from, surely you could simply return them the next time you visit that shop?

Aldi seem to be putting in return units at both their Halbeath road and Duloch outlets already.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Mar 14:19

Scotland’s lead ho ho..the only lead Sturgeon ever managed was leading the easily led dimwits up and doon the garden path!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Mar 15:26

I see Starmer is accusing the SNP of lurching to the right. Has he got no self-awareness as well as no charisma?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Mar 00:07

The chief executive of a company that is overseeing Scotland’s bottle deposit scheme will receive a salary of £300,000, it has been reported.

David Harris and other executives at Circularity Scotland will receive a combined £670,000 in annual salary and fees.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 20 Mar 07:41

I’m sure the Canadian Goosie will be honking her silly heid off when asked about this

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bletchley_Par  
Date:   Tue 18 Apr 17:49

Yeah, it`s been cancelled.

Next march apparently, but the windies might have to be painted on.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 18 Apr 18:01

Scotland`s controversial deposit return scheme will now not launch until March of next year, the country`s first minister has announced.

The scheme, which is aimed at increasing the number of single-use drinks bottle and cans that are recycled, was due to start in August.

But it has faced fierce opposition from many small breweries and distillers.

Humza Yousaf announced the delay as he set out his priorities for his government over the next three years.

Mr Yousaf also confirmed that proposals to restrict alcohol advertising will be sent "back to the drawing board" as part of his efforts to "reset" the government`s relationship with business.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 18 Apr 18:25

We`ll have to wait until England launch their scheme.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 18 Apr 18:39

Total joke, I`m often embarrassed that as a country were so wedded to the status quo and seemingly scared of change.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 18 Apr 20:11

From Aunty :-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64624421

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 18 Apr 21:50

It is quite an industry in Vancouver.
Homeless folk rake buckets for bottles and cans.
Plenty folk get on buses with large sacks of stuff. Some dont look skint.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 18 Apr 23:20

Quote:

PARrot, Tue 18 Apr 21:50

May be different now, but when I was in Vancouver many moons ago they had holders on the outside of the litter bins so people could put bottles and things there and save the homeless guys raking through. I quickly learned why the locals thought I was crazy for walking places when I went on a short walk and wound up going through a very sketchy area where all the homeless guys congregate with their trolleys of stuff. It`s a lovely city but one with extreme wealth and extreme poverty.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 19 Apr 07:41

Quote:

jake89, Tue 18 Apr 23:20

Quote:

PARrot, Tue 18 Apr 21:50

May be different now, but when I was in Vancouver many moons ago they had holders on the outside of the litter bins so people could put bottles and things there and save the homeless guys raking through. I quickly learned why the locals thought I was crazy for walking places when I went on a short walk and wound up going through a very sketchy area where all the homeless guys congregate with their trolleys of stuff. It`s a lovely city but one with extreme wealth and extreme poverty.

That would be Downtown. I couldnt believe what I was seeing. I videod the busdrive through it. Might try to post it sometime.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 19 Apr 09:12

Maybe our mad Canadian goose Slater should fly back home and make a bigger mess of it. After all, she’s made a fine mess of of ours!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Thu 20 Apr 17:39

Quote:

Parboiled, Wed 19 Apr 09:12

Maybe our mad Canadian goose Slater should fly back home and make a bigger mess of it. After all, she’s made a fine mess of of ours!

It`s telling that you`re consistently unable to put your political points across without resorting to pretty name calling.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Apr 02:02

Quote:

fcda, Thu 20 Apr 17:39

Quote:

Parboiled, Wed 19 Apr 09:12

It`s telling that you`re consistently unable to put your political points across without resorting to pretty name calling.

I have absolutely no idea what he was talking about

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Apr 10:42

There was a nice put-down by Greens MSP Ross Grier when asked about SNP MSP Fergus Ewing calling the Greens `wine bar revolutionaries`.

`With all due respect to Fergus he`s probably a lot more familiar with wine bars than I am.`

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Apr 07:54

Greer is a uni drop out squeaky wee squirt with zero life experience of note.

Mr Ewing is a highly educated man with many years of experience in law and politics. An impressive, robust, honest debater who is not afraid to speak his mind, even if it ruffles feathers of his own ministerial colleagues. Holyrood could do with more of his type and less the other.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Apr 08:26

...and he supports Scottish independence of course.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Apr 08:31

Fergus Ewing is surely your classic nepo baby? Also, people in glass houses and that - I`m sure an ex-Loretto boy knows his way around the local wine bars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Apr 09:33

Eck, my opinion of them is irrespective of their politics. Greer would be a geeky wee drip wherever he sat in Parliament,Ewing a voice worth listening to.
I agree Ewing had a head start in life, the only wine in the bars I went to post High School was a bottle of sweet sherry.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Apr 09:48

`Eck, my opinion of them is irrespective of their politics.`

That`s a first then.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Apr 09:56

I’m sure there must me a non Snipper you have a crush on..

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Apr 13:42

Quote:

Parboiled, Mon 24 Apr 07:54
Greer is a uni drop out squeaky wee squirt...

Quote:

Parboiled, Mon 24 Apr 09:33
Greer would be a geeky wee drip ...

And there you go again.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Apr 14:27

"geeky wee drip" = says things I disagree with but can`t explain why.

Greer seems quite.good at winding people up using facts. Sometimes, however, he could probably do with being quiet.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Apr 15:09

At least he didn`t refer to his hair colour. That must be some kind of progress.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Apr 19:18

Seems he`s going after Viceroy Jack for misleading the house @Westminster.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 May 14:54

Great news, Scotland has been honoured with an offer to pilot a UK wide scheme.

But, with Slavering Slater in charge will the pilot be ejected or parachuted?

Post Edited (Fri 26 May 14:55)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 May 15:07

Is that correct? Makes sense if true.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 May 17:01

Slater is enraged.. she already wakes up every morning deranged so she’s not a happy lassie!
As for Scooter he is also outraged. Spittle alert!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 27 May 10:15

So Westminster has agreed it provided that glass isn`t accepted. Strange given glass is included in the Westminster proposals for England. This lot couldn`t run a bath!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 27 May 11:47

And in Wales glass is being accepted, I believe it was Tory MSP`s that asked for glass to be included, way back at the start of the journey in 2009!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 27 May 11:52

😃

Post Edited (Sat 27 May 11:53)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 27 May 11:53

No glass in England Jake..they pulled the bath plug on that!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 May 09:03

According to Scooter the exclusion of glass in Scotland will lead to 600 million bottles needing to be removed from our streets, beaches and parks.

Another estimate I’ve seen of annual turnover is 550 million, but whatever, is this utter clown implying every bottle ends up as litter?

That’s 110 bottles each!

Not to worry, Lorna Slaver will sort it oot!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 May 09:28

What am I missing ?? I`ve just read a zero waste article that says glass bottles ARE included in the new deposit scheme .. Has this changed ?

Last Paragraph from the article :-

Many countries include glass in their deposit return schemes – including Denmark, Finland, Iceland and Germany.

Different countries created their own deposit return schemes at different times, and in different circumstances. While it’s true that some successful European schemes do not include glass, cultural context of recycling must be considered.

The fact that an estimated 560 million glass containers will be in scope demonstrates the enormous potential that the scheme has when it comes to boosting glass recycling in Scotland. ​

Considering the evidence and this range of substantial benefits, it is clear why glass will form an integral part of Scotland`s Deposit Return Scheme​.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 May 09:34

I`m late to the party here.

I currently fill my green bin up with cans and plastics.

I also keep a large plastic container out the back which I fill with glass bottles and jars, which I take to the local recycling centre every couple of weeks.

When the scheme starts every single one of these items will be 20p dearer.

I`ll then have to take everything in my bins/box back to claim the 20p back on each item.

Am I correct?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sun 28 May 10:12

I think it’s only certain types of cans etc Da. I think I read somewhere that they’ll be marked as being part of the new scheme.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 May 10:32

Quote:

buffy, Sun 28 May 10:12

I think it’s only certain types of cans etc Da. I think I read somewhere that they’ll be marked as being part of the new scheme.

Drinks maybe?

As it would take a special kind of genius to lob a heinz beans tin oot his white van window.....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 May 10:36

It`s drinks cans and bottles (plastic only based on what Parboiled has shared). So basically affecting drinks companies.

Shame they couldn`t put a £10 return on buckfast bottles.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 May 11:01

I`ve just listened to a very feisty and articulate defence of the Scottish government scheme by Lorna Slater in the face of very aggressive questioning from Martin Geissler. According to her it was agreed years ago by all governments in the UK that glass would be included in any scheme and Westminster`s insistence now that glass should be excluded from the SG scheme was purely political and an attack on devolution.

At the end of the interview Geissler said the UK government had been invited to provide someone to explain their decision but the BBC was told no one was available.

Post Edited (Sun 28 May 12:50)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 May 11:12

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 28 May 11:01

I`ve just listened to a very feisty and articulate defence of the Scottish government scheme in the face of very aggressive questioning from Martin Geissler. According to her it was agreed years ago by all governments in the UK that glass would be included in any scheme and Westminster`s insistence now that glass should be excluded from the SG scheme was purely political and an attack on devolution.

At the end of the interview Geissler said the UK government had been invited to provide someone to explain their decision but the BBC was told no one was available.

And that is correct. It`s listed as included on the English scheme.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sun 28 May 13:49

I heard her this morning as well, and was impressed by how well she spoke about it and with how well she responded to the questions. When I`ve heard her in the past I`ve often found her to be unconvincing so this was quite an improvement. Today, it seemed like an interview wth someone who knew what they were talking about and who didn`t try to avoid answering questions because she had enough conviction in her stance to be able to answer directly. That isn`t very common in a political interview.

I didn`t find the questioning to be any more aggressive than what he fires at politicians of all parties on a weekly basis, and generally I find him to be quite a fair interviewer. His frustration at Alister Jack almost always being `unavailable` does sometimes show, but I think it`s a good thing that he acknowledges when one side of the argument declines to even make their case. As I`ve mentioned before, a job of the Scottish Secretary is to advocate for the UK government`s policies in Scotland, so his repeated failure to appear on that programme is poor indeed.

I have to say that the Internal Markets Act was one that I completely missed when it was passed, but slowly becoming more familiar with it now.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 May 14:17

SO are we recycling glass ? in the new scheme ?? aye or naw

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 May 15:04

The SG want to, Bpp, but Westminster says no.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 May 18:57

Thanks wee eck ..

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Jun 09:52

Tennents say Scotgov “regrettably misrepresented” their position on the scheme.
Another big fat lie in other words.
it’s sunk, deid in the water. DRS - Do not Resuscitate!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Jun 11:04

Well doesn`t it start everywhere in the UK next year at some point?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Jun 11:11

I don`t think England`s scheme is due to start until 2025. That`s what I don`t understand. If the ideal is a UK-wide scheme why not synchronise the start dates? Why are England so far behind the others?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Jun 12:37

It`s not England, it`s Westminster. There seems to be a very ill-informed view that DRS is bad. It`s been successful elsewhere despite the initial outcry about it. Presumably Westminster agrees given it has its own plans?

Aldi and Asda both seem to have return places half built. My only concern is for those who rely on home deliveries. Will there be an option for them to return remotely?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Jun 12:59

Sorry I meant the Scotgov go it alone scheme is deid in the water. It will be a Uk wide no glass scheme or nowt.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Jun 13:14

I suppose it`s just coincidence that the Tories decided to ditch glass after they received a £20,000 donation from the Wine and Spirit Trade Association.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Jun 13:20

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 5 Jun 13:14

I suppose it`s just coincidence that the Tories decided to ditch glass after they received a £20,000 donation from the Wine and Spirit Trade Association.

Surely Viceroy Jack wouldn`t accept that!

Meanwhile the concentrated spotlight is on Schofield and his dabbling, wonder if it had been a female there would be as much carry on?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Jun 06:47

Quote:

jake89, Mon 5 Jun 12:37

It`s not England, it`s Westminster. There seems to be a very ill-informed view that DRS is bad. It`s been successful elsewhere despite the initial outcry about it. Presumably Westminster agrees given it has its own plans?

Aldi and Asda both seem to have return places half built. My only concern is for those who rely on home deliveries. Will there be an option for them to return remotely?

Plenty questionable banter but no answer to this question.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 08:48

Now delayed.

Purely coincidentally, it turns out a lot of politicians have shares in whisky businesses and have had donations from brewers.

This country truly is a disgrace.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 13:57

I`ve yet to see an explanation as to why the other schemes to be implemented throughout the UK will exclude glass. It`s as if it`s just so they`ll be different from the scheme proposed by the Scottish government.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 14:01

Quote:

jake89, Thu 8 Jun 08:48

Now delayed.

Purely coincidentally, it turns out a lot of politicians have shares in whisky businesses and have had donations from brewers.

This country truly is a disgrace.

They really need to look at donations to MPs and political parties, far too much vested interests and corruption in parliament
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Aylesbury_Par  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 14:06

In a small Spanish town where they have a mobile deposit return facility which turns up every Wednesday, seemed to be well attended.

Maybe they got permission from Madrid!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 14:17

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 8 Jun 13:57

I`ve yet to see an explanation as to why the other schemes to be implemented throughout the UK will exclude glass. It`s as if it`s just so they`ll be different from the scheme proposed by the Scottish government.

Look at party donations and registers of interest and I`m sure it`ll become apparent. Those in power are rotten to the core and those who don`t dance to the tune will find their character destroyed by a corrupt media run by a small number of billionaires.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Jun 09:30

Lovely moment in Holyrood yesterday as Goosie Slater indignantly responds to heckling from “those on my right” meanwhile looking daggers and waving to the
left. Much hilarity on those seats.
Does she suffer from a lack of tongue eye and arm coordination?

Post Edited (Wed 14 Jun 09:33)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Jun 12:46

Quote:

Parboiled, Wed 14 Jun 09:30
Goosie Slater

Petty name calling again. Are you 6 years old?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Aug 16:38

Aha! So sturgeon provided a letter to Circularity Scotland which they used to support their request for a loan from Scot Gov owned Investment Bank.
They were handed £Millions then went bust..this is honkier than a Canadian Goose!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Aug 11:30

Is that the Canadaphobia there, Parboiled?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Aug 21:28

Going off at a tangent - when I worked in Maclays we used to get the regular 1/2 pint “dump” bottles back from the pubs and clubs.

Didn’t matter if it was other brewers’ products, the bottles were industry standard and could be heat sterilised and reused.

Except Skol lager bottles, they were a bit taller and had a different profile, so were not compatible on standard bottling lines

Nowadays craft brewers use new bottles each time - and customers recycle through local collection points.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Aug 21:38

vee .. Maclays was the best beer i have ever had the pleasure to drink
The County Hotel in Clacks only sold Maclays .. no lager ..

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Aug 21:52

Indeed, sadly missed.

However Williams Brothers have kept the flag flying - some really great stuff and a wide range of products.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net