DAFC.net
Home 18 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Orange Marches Falkirk
Topic Originator: Murphy  
Date:   Mon 8 May 16:19

22 marches scheduled for this year in Falkirk making it the 4th highest Authority in Scotland for the marches. This might explain a few things about the typical Falkirk supporter, but also I would like to know who foots the policing bill for this divisional crap.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Orange Marches Falkirk
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 8 May 16:28

AFAIK Orange parades rotate to various locations, no particular link to Falkirk.

Just the misfortune of Bairnsville to get drawn in the unlucky dip this year.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Murphy  
Date:   Mon 8 May 16:45

Not the case in this instance Vet, apparently this is just returning to the same level for Falkirk as pre-pandemic levels.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 8 May 19:56

Used to follow them round early fifties and enjoy the music/spectacle .. never knew what it was all about back then

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Mon 8 May 21:11

Likely same policing costs for the replubican marches in Scotland, and marches like we had to endure over weekend in our cities by so called political parties spouting hatred and lies. We the taxpayer unfortunately for the bill.
These all all in the same boat and simply promote hatred, bigotry and worse on occasions like over the weekend, which was utter bile.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 9 May 02:15

What is it about central Scotland`s fixation with historical Irish affairs? What the hell is going on there?

It could be argued that those who fought on the side of the Duke of Cumberland at Culloden achieved a similarly resounding victory over the (Jacobite) Catholics to that achieved by William of Orange at the Boyne.

But you don`t see hordes of Highlanders filling football grounds singing the Skye Boat Song and wailing about the injustices of the Clearances or, for that matter, royalists dancing in the big field next to Inverness airport.

I am sick to death of this Irish nonsense. It is one of the reasons I live in Australia. I hate all that crap. I despise religious prejudice and the inevitable tension it brings. These Neanderthals have no place in modern society.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 14 May 11:11

Isn`t it high time Scotland banned ALL marches of a sectarian nature, on the grounds that they provoke civil unrest?

Even better if the Northern Ireland government then followed suit.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 14 May 12:52

I agree,

I’ve said before but I really just don’t get the eagerness to celebrate historic events (and recent events) in Ireland… everything that has happened over there is nothing short of tragic

…and what’s worse is that all that feeling and motivation is still kinda sitting there under the surface, a visible example (from what was said above) could be how polarised the Parliament is to the point where that can’t even function- so having a bunch of pricks visibly supporting and reinforcing old attitudes clearly isn’t going to help!

Post Edited (Sun 14 May 14:39)
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Sun 14 May 15:16

is there not some big March on the 3rd June in dunfermline they`ve had to cancel the outdoor festival at the public park because of it
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sun 14 May 15:20

Quote:

GG Riva, Sun 14 May 11:11

Isn`t it high time Scotland banned ALL marches of a sectarian nature, on the grounds that they provoke civil unrest?

I would agree, but that`s the same slippery slope as the Westminster ban on any protests seen as causing `disturbance`. We do need to start clamping down on this crap though
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 May 16:41

Quote:

Andrew283, Sun 14 May 15:20

Quote:

GG Riva, Sun 14 May 11:11

I would agree, but that`s the same slippery slope as the Westminster ban on any protests seen as causing `disturbance`. We do need to start clamping down on this crap though

Why would it need to be the start of a "slippery slope", Andrew? A law banning only marches of a sectarian nature, on both sides of the divide, could not automatically include marches which of a non religious nature. A separate law would have to be passed for that to happen, surely?

Sadly, no chance it`ll ever happen, for two reasons:-

1. Politicians will regard it ( quite rightly) as a vote loser and
2. Some of those in power subscribe to this sectarian nonsense.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Neil_Philp  
Date:   Tue 16 May 16:10

Still remember the night out in Edinburgh that was on the same day as an Orange march.
The already annoying and on edge Edinburgh bouncers were even more annoying and on edge that night. We couldn`t get in anywhere as there were "too many lads"
Either that or we were just too ugly....

Post Edited (Tue 16 May 16:14)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 16 May 22:22

These things bring shame on Scotland. Sweet FA to do with Scotland and a blatant sectarian undertone. Why they`re still tolerated is beyond me.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 May 07:05

A few years back, my wife and I drove through to Glasgow on a Sunday morning. We were stuck at the Charing Cross exit for around 45 mins. I was convinced there must have been a serious accident.

Turned out the police had blocked all traffic so that the march could proceed down Sauchiehall St, unhindered by inconsiderate motorists.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 May 13:37

If you had mown down a few flautists GG - your no claims would have been invalidated !!!

Seriously, banning these marches would likely cause more problems than it removes.

It took the USA 13 years to realise Prohibition didn`t work.

They should be obliged to carry the costs of policing etc. - that might work ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Wed 17 May 14:27

Banning these marches would probably have weird knock ons.

I remember being held up by a Hare Krishna parade. Do we really want to be the country that banned those?

What about people standing around a bonfire to celebrate the execution of a Catholic who attempted a sectarian uprising? It`s not a march though, so maybe the Orange Order could change and build huge bonfires in fields and let off 1619 fireworks to celebrate their victory?

Would religious organisations be allowed to join in with other groups` marches or organise political marches (anti war ones for example)?

If not, then that`s a pretty big hit on civil liberties and if you allow that then you risk certain groups disrupting the activities of others to spread their own message.

The marches are also just the most visible symptom of a much deeper problem. Scotland is still a deeply sectarian country, and you won`t change that by banning marches.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 May 15:44

I agree with everything you said wotsit, but when you allow and accommodate groups such as the OO to March through towns and cities, then for me it had a few knock on effects, it normalises at best and advertises / influences others at worst the organisation and their beliefs.

And while (again) I agree with you, I`m pretty sure we do currently block certain hate filled groups from marching, eg of I wanted to organise a white power march, I`d gamble is be told that it wasn`t permitted?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 May 16:21

That sectarianism must presumably be passed down by parents. Got to wonder how anyone has the energy for it. How does one become involved in the Orange Order? And why?!

Is there a reason we still insist on segregation in schools? I appreciate that a lot of kids in the RC schools aren`t even Catholic so it feels a bit odd. The creation of the combined campus at Duloch makes it feel even more questionable. I`ve no knowledge at all on the matter so apologies if this is a cheeky thing to ask.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 May 16:27

Quote:

Wotsit, Wed 17 May 14:27

What about people standing around a bonfire to celebrate the execution of a Catholic who attempted a sectarian uprising? It`s not a march though, so maybe the Orange Order could change and build huge bonfires in fields and let off 1619 fireworks to celebrate their victory?

I suspect most people don`t see it as anything to do with its origins anymore. Probably similar to Christmas!

I`ve got a friend down south who is Catholic and goes to bonfire night fireworks and even celebrated the Coronation! I don`t think people associate these things.

I feel there are different connotations in Scotland and N.Ireland. It feels like in recent years bonfire night in N.I has become a lot more political. It`s just my view, but I feel these things are actually more tribal than religious. If all these idiots were at church/chapel then the churches would be rolling in it. I`m not saying there aren`t deeply religious people, but I doubt they`re the ones burning flags, vandalising road signs and singing daft songs about fights they know nothing about. That`s probably why my friend down south has little to no knowledge about things like bonfire night.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 May 19:27

We won`t have to go to Falkirk to enjoy an Orange march. The Dunfermline Press says the Apprentice Boys of Derry will be holding their jamboree in the city centre on June 3. Hoorah! Motorists are advised that they might not be able to move parked cars during the march.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 May 19:40

Quote:

jake89, Wed 17 May 16:21

That sectarianism must presumably be passed down by parents. Got to wonder how anyone has the energy for it. How does one become involved in the Orange Order? And why?!

At the risk of being controversial, the OO is vehemently anti-Catholic and the Pope. Most Catholics are not anti-Protestant, but most definitely despise the OO in retaliation.

Is there a reason we still insist on segregation in schools? I appreciate that a lot of kids in the RC schools aren`t even Catholic so it feels a bit odd. The creation of the combined campus at Duloch makes it feel even more questionable. I`ve no knowledge at all on the matter so apologies if this is a cheeky thing to ask.

Pertinent question, Jake. Any "insistence" on segregation comes from Catholic clergy rather than laymen and women. RC schools were established in Scotland by the church in response to widespread bullying of the children of Irish Catholics who came over during and after the potato famine. In 1918 these schools came under state control. 100 years on, could be the time to make a start on reintegration, but politicians won`t touch it for fear it would be a vote loser. Ironically, some RC schools would not be viable if they didn`t number a significant proportion of kids who aren`t from Catholic backgrounds. e.g. Last I heard, St Columba`s had around 400 pupils from a roll of just over 900 who came into that category,

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 May 20:19

Quote:

GG Riva, Wed 17 May 19:27

We won`t have to go to Falkirk to enjoy an Orange march. The Dunfermline Press says the Apprentice Boys of Derry will be holding their jamboree in the city centre on June 3. Hoorah! Motorists are advised that they might not be able to move parked cars during the march.

They might even celebrate a Celtic cup win that early evening - then again, maybe not ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 17 May 23:00

Quote:

GG Riva, Wed 17 May 19:27

I was pretty disappointed to see that the family festival planned for the public park that day had to moved for this devisive nonsense.

Something like this has absolutely nothing to do with Dunfermline in 2023.

I had this misfortune to see the Apprentice Boys of Derry in the toon once before, I was enjoying a afternoon drink in The Creepy Wee Pub when I heard them and popped out to see what the noise was. I imagined they would just be a normal band, but was dismayed to see a sneering, snarling bunch of aggressive knuckle draggers who looked like they were looking for some violence.

They have been on the go for a long time so you would think that they would no longer be apprentices, but they did have the look of men that liked to educate young boys, so I guess that`s where the name comes from
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 May 06:36

Why the f*@k would the apprentice boys of Derry be given permission to have a jamboree in Dunfermline?

Is it the Glen or public park?

Post Edited (Thu 18 May 06:37)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Thu 18 May 09:22

Quote:

DBP, Thu 18 May 06:36

Why the f*@k would the apprentice boys of Derry be given permission to have a jamboree in Dunfermline?

Is it the Glen or public park?

It`s everywhere the dunfermline press has done a route map and it`s everywhere.

My only advice would be get out of dunfermline that day it will be brutal
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 May 12:48

FFS that`s outrageous- live close to public park and don`t want those scum any where near me with all their hate filled pash
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Neil_Philp  
Date:   Thu 18 May 14:19

Guess who`s playing a gig that night in Dunfermline???

FML.....

COYP
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 May 19:52

Quote:

Neil_Philp, Thu 18 May 14:19

FML.....

Perhaps make clear at the start that you don`t take requests!

Tbh I imagine most of these guys will head home afterwards or to a pub showing their beloved Rangers.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 18 May 21:10

Luckily I will be in Edinburgh on the 3rd so will avoid this shameful pash
I would have come along to see young Neil play. He’s good

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 May 21:47

Quote:

jake89, Thu 18 May 19:52

Quote:

Neil_Philp, Thu 18 May 14:19

FML.....

Perhaps make clear at the start that you don`t take requests!

Tbh I imagine most of these guys will head home afterwards or to a pub showing their beloved Rangers.

They’ll need to convert to ICT followers on 3rd June.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 May 08:49

What will happen if/when N.Ireland unifies with the rest of Ireland? Will we still have orange marches?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 May 13:18

The chances of the six counties joining the RoI are next to nothing - there is a very significant element who simply will not accept unification.

Incidentally an acquiatance of mine who moved to Scotland from there, now sadly passed on, told me that there was an Orange march in Donegal, part of the Republic.

Membership still evident in certain border counties.

https://thedustbinofhistory.wordpress.com/2013/05/04/the-sash-by-the-seaside-a-brief-history-of-the-republic-of-irelands-only-orange-parade/

Post Edited (Sun 21 May 13:19)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 May 14:18

Think your missing one point which is that the demographic is changing in Northern Ireland.

What started life as a "A Protestant parliament for a Protestant people" now has a nationalist majority and for the first time ever, Catholics outnumber Protestants in Northern Ireland. This is huge for the future of the state that was designed a century ago to have a permanent Protestant majority.

In over in Donegal / Fermanagh next weekend (visiting family), so will be keen to get the vibe in a border poll given sinn fhèins recent electoral success.

However I`ve said for ages we need to secure independence before unification because I would hate to think of lots of loyalists coming over here to remain British (even though they`re not just now)

Anyway, there is an OO match in donegal, goes past rossnowlagh just over the border... Although if you go down a bit to bundoran you will see queues of cars as people try to escape the worst of marches taking place
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 May 22:32

Quote:

DBP, Sun 21 May 14:18

Think your missing one point which is that the demographic is changing in Northern Ireland.

What started life as a "A Protestant parliament for a Protestant people" now has a nationalist majority and for the first time ever, Catholics outnumber Protestants in Northern Ireland. This is huge for the future of the state that was designed a century ago to have a permanent Protestant majority.

In over in Donegal / Fermanagh next weekend (visiting family), so will be keen to get the vibe in a border poll given sinn fhèins recent electoral success.

However I`ve said for ages we need to secure independence before unification because I would hate to think of lots of loyalists coming over here to remain British (even though they`re not just now)

Anyway, there is an OO match in donegal, goes past rossnowlagh just over the border... Although if you go down a bit to bundoran you will see queues of cars as people try to escape the worst of marches taking place

Any vote for reunification probably wouldn`t follow sectarian lines these days. Yes currently stands at around 20-30% with No at around 60-65% in polls.

There has been a lot of money spent on NI over the last few decades and lots of people, including those of Catholic heritage, are aware that this probably wouldn`t continue out with the UK. The Republic doesn`t have anything like the NHS for example.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 May 23:25

The NHS is an interesting one. Ireland have basically copied the NHS model for their HSE but you still pay for GPs, prescriptions and visits to A&E without a referral. On the plus side, you`ll actually get to see a GP!

I`m not convinced the NHS will be much of a carrot given it`s chronic under-funding. Talk to anyone in Fife who is in need of social care and their stories are horrifying.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bletchley_Par  
Date:   Mon 22 May 00:41

I`ve never been to one of these things, I`ve just spent the last half hour watching one on youtube and it was a fascinating experience.

Bizarre attire, questionable musicianship, the weird banners, people with crowns on trays akin to the old ice cream sellers in cinemas, the tunes, impressive and not so impressive baton twirling, phallic feathers, zig zag dancing...

I`ll never get that half hour back, but I don`t think I want it as it was a worthy social experience. I`m not sure I`m any the wiser of what it is really all about.

Just looks like a bunch of weirdos having a good time to me.

Post Edited (Mon 22 May 00:42)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 May 07:23

I agree a border poll isn`t imminent, but given the correlation between religious heritage and identity, it feels that a change to the existing settlement is inevitable
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 May 23:59

Someone`s done a mash up of an Orange march to the theme of YMCA. It`s on TikTok so not sure how to link it but you can Google it to see. The faces on some of them is something else.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 23 May 08:47

I didn`t realise these marches are not confined to Scotland and N. Ireland.

https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/orange-order-march-bristol/

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 23 May 09:21

I believe that there`s one in Benidorm every year, strange place to have one.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 23 May 12:27

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Tue 23 May 09:21

I believe that there`s one in Benidorm every year, strange place to have one.

😃🙄 I wonder what the ( mainly Catholic) local population make of it. 🤔

Eta. Do they not have one in St Peter's square in Rome? They could try to burst the big drum if the Pope looks out of his upstairs window. 🤣😃

Post Edited (Tue 23 May 14:27)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 23 May 21:25

The locals in Benidorm don’t appear to be much bothered - a bit of a circus procession that ends up in a bluenose bar. They are happy to accept Euros in the resort regardless of the tourists “religious” leanings.

Catholicism in Spain has been waning since Franco died 1975 - church attendance is mainly middle aged women and children.

The Church also has a few skeletons in the closet that has caused significant controversy in Spanish society - the enforced fostering of children away from the parents for example.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 24 May 06:18

Quote:

veteraneastender, Tue 23 May 21:25

The locals in Benidorm don’t appear to be much bothered - a bit of a circus procession that ends up in a bluenose bar. They are happy to accept Euros in the resort regardless of the tourists “religious” leanings.

Catholicism in Spain has been waning since Franco died 1975 - church attendance is mainly middle aged women and children.

The Church also has a few skeletons in the closet that has caused significant controversy in Spanish society - the enforced fostering of children away from the parents for example.

For Spain read Ireland then? The film "Philomena", starring Judi Dench, a true story on this very same subject, is a bit of an eye opener.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 24 May 18:54

The Catholic Church in Ireland has similar historic issues to answer, adided and abetted by the State since independence.

I became aware of the Spanish situation when watching a PBS America documentary on Freeview.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/spain-babies-mothers-stolen-law-franco-b1817860.html

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sun 28 May 21:42

They should not ban them but just limit their numbers ( people and marches ) and confine them to a park and let them walk round in circles playing to themselves all day long. This would avoid disruption and stop them subjecting normal people to their bile. If they cause any damage or leave litter, which they will they should incur a hefty fine.

After a few years they will be bored stiff and will just wither away.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alf  
Date:   Mon 29 May 16:43

The Apprentice boys of Derry are holding one in Dunfermline, disgusting decision by Fife Council to allow it
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 May 17:19

I actually think they don`t need to ask for permission?

I think they just need to inform?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alf  
Date:   Mon 29 May 17:46

You have to apply, police resources etc need to be allocated, roads closed etc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Aylesbury_Par  
Date:   Sat 3 Jun 09:21

Do the Derry Apprentices have to pay for these police resources?

Is just traffic control for community clubs like DAFC they have pulled their services from?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Jun 09:27

Quote:

Alf, Mon 29 May 17:46

You have to apply, police resources etc need to be allocated, roads closed etc

I don`t think that`s true, I think you only need to notify a month before - that`s not the same as asking
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: doctordandruff  
Date:   Sat 3 Jun 13:36

Fife Council commented in the Press and it was really just them highlighting there is nothing they can do about it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Jun 18:22

Seemed to go off alright, I`m struggling to see what I`m supposed to be offended by here tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzAr3PCHOZs

Post Edited (Sat 03 Jun 18:23)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Jun 18:59

Not offensive but pretty depressing that a bunch of grown men feel the need to Tw*t about playing flutes and banging drums to celebrate events in another country hundreds of years ago. Even worse that a family day in the public park was cancelled to accommodate this nonsense.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 4 Jun 08:31

What`s there to dislike about an organisation that only exists to hate people who happen to be Catholic?

I`m not a fan of "The Church" but it`s pretty messed up, in this day and age, for adults to march around in public banging drums and going on about how much they hate Catholics.

Their cosplay is boring too.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 4 Jun 12:14

"Seemed to go off alright, I`m struggling to see what I`m supposed to be offended by here tbh."

I think most people who object are offended by their very existence within modern society in the first place.

Same objections apply to the other side of the sectarian divide whose organistations perpetuate their agenda.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 4 Jun 14:16

Perhaps one day it`ll become so commercial that people forget the origins (like bonfire night) and everyone will enjoy seeing a bunch of men dressed like panto rejects marching around with their flutes. Until then it`s more like a travelling circus. It`s not especially offensive, just more tired and embarrassing.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sun 4 Jun 19:23

In order to progress in the Orange Order or the Masons you have to be able to keep a secret. I`m sure everyone by now must know what that secret is, the higher you go in the organisation.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Athletico  
Date:   Sun 4 Jun 19:58

It`s just embarrassing, mincing about in faux military uniforms to jaunty flute music celebrating the deaths of folk who worship the same God.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 5 Jun 01:07

An embarrassing procession of backward, small-minded, prejudiced little people. Scotland`s shame.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Mon 5 Jun 12:10

"Seemed to go off alright, I`m struggling to see what I`m supposed to be offended by here tbh."

Hope you enjoyed your wander.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Jun 20:06

Quote:

Bletchley_Par, Sat 3 Jun 18:22

Seemed to go off alright, I`m struggling to see what I`m supposed to be offended by here tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzAr3PCHOZs

You reeled in a few experienced whoppers there, Bletchley. 🙂

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Jun 20:10

You`ve clearly missed his previous rantings GG.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Jun 01:49

Quote:

Topic Originator: GG Riva
Date: Mon 5 Jun 20:06

Quote:

Bletchley_Par, Sat 3 Jun 18:2

You reeled in a few experienced whoppers there, Bletchley. 🙂

Not really sure what you mean tbh, some decent drumming (except the bass drum) some shrill flutes and people dressed in rather bizarre looking attire of variations on a theme singing about some ancient battle or other.

I had never even seen an orange walk before looking into them after reading this thread.

What am I meant to be offended by? I`m not being obtuse, I don`t know why a load of bands marching up the high street has so many people angry?

Post Edited (Tue 06 Jun 01:50)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Jun 06:02

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Mon 5 Jun 20:10

You`ve clearly missed his previous rantings GG.

No, Bletchley comes across as a bit of an oddball, but nobody could be that obtuse. I think it was you who posted that the very exstence of the OO is offensive to many people, not just Catholics. An organisation founded on unilateral hatred of anyone identifying as a Catholic, often of the same nationality, is more than reason enough to be offended.

The deliberate choice of route, allowing their marches to file past Catholic churches, so the guy with the big drum can bang it as hard as he can, is a vivid illustration of how spiteful they are.

Eta. I see Bletchley claims he'd never seen an Orange walk before. Unless he was living on the Moon, he'd be well aware of the order's raison d'ètre, which is what led me to conclude that he was on a wee angling trip

Post Edited (Tue 06 Jun 06:08)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Jun 07:50

Having seen his/her (I assume the former) description of the dystopian nightmare they`d lived through during Nicola Sturgeon`s years as first minister, I think I`ll stand my ground on this one...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Jun 07:56

Isn`t Bletchley just that guy who got banned a while back? I can`t remember his name. At first I thought it was Rasta but it`s not, it`s the other one.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Jun 09:28

Quote:

jake89, Tue 6 Jun 07:56

Isn`t Bletchley just that guy who got banned a while back? I can`t remember his name. At first I thought it was Rasta but it`s not, it`s the other one.

Bletchley`s a town in deepest Englandshire. That may provide a clue, or maybe not? He night be a banned poster using a different user name as you suggest, or he might not even be a Pars fan....

I`d be willing to cut him a bit of slack if he`s always lived in Bletchley and has no Scottish connection. Perhaps the OO don`t March in that neck of the woods. Now they know they have a fan there though..... 😃

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Highway_Star  
Date:   Tue 6 Jun 10:45

We inadvertantly cycled past where the busses were parked, behind EEP, maybe an hour before.

A charming bunch of people, urinating, leaving beer cans all over. Loudly proclaiming how they would follow my wife home to sniff the saddle of her bike, is she as good a ride as the bike, etc?

Post Edited (Tue 06 Jun 11:06)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Jun 11:33

Quote:

Highway_Star, Tue 6 Jun 10:45

We inadvertantly cycled past where the busses were parked, behind EEP, maybe an hour before.

A charming bunch of people, urinating, leaving beer cans all over. Loudly proclaiming how they would follow my wife home to sniff the saddle of her bike, is she as good a ride as the bike, etc?

Charming right enough. So they arrived in buses, suggesting they`re not from Dunfermline. You have to wonder why they feel the need to export their bigotry around the country and don`t just stick to marching around their home patches.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Jun 11:35

Quote:

Topic Originator: GG Riva
Date: Tue 6 Jun 06:02

No, Bletchley comes across as a bit of an oddball, but nobody could be that obtuse.

Eta. I see Bletchley claims he`d never seen an Orange walk before. Unless he was living on the Moon, he`d be well aware of the order`s raison d`ètre, which is what led me to conclude that he was on a wee angling trip

I`m not of the Christian faith, you`ll just have to excuse my ignorance to the disagreements arising from your schism. I`m fine with the odd-ball description.

I find it bizarre that people want to march and play songs about ancient battles and I find it also bizarre that people would get offended by it, but both have been quite interesting to observe from an outsider.

I grew up in a mining town with some very unique dancing and costume rituals that make this stuff rather tame that no doubt you would find "offensive" or "embarrassing" so I try not to be judgemental of other people`s customs and traditions.

Post Edited (Tue 06 Jun 12:13)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Jun 12:26

Holier than thou, it would seem.

I`m perfectly comfortable being judgemental of the orange order marching through towns, proudly displaying their particular flavour of bigotry and intolerance.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 06:20

There were quite a number checked into the City Hotel last Friday.
Dropped bags off and quick change into Rangers tops and off for a bevvy.
I believe the group I saw were from Larkhall ?

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 06:40

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Sat 10 Jun 06:20

There were quite a number checked into the City Hotel last Friday.
Dropped bags off and quick change into Rangers tops and off for a bevvy.
I believe the group I saw were from Larkhall ?

Larkhall? Is that Scotland`s Orange capital?

I`m reminded of the mid - 80s, when Rangers signed the 14 year old John Spencer on an S form. It made the national newspapers because the lad was a pupil at a Catholic high school. The good citizens of Larkhall were so incensed that they cancelled a total of 13 (THIRTEEN) buses for the following Saturday`s Rangers game at Cappielow.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 19:43

There’s that old joke about the guy driving through Larkhall who stops to ask how to get to Stonehouse hospital.
Guy says, go into that pub and start singing the fields of athenry

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Jun 23:29

Being reported they`re having to sell their HQ in Motherwell due to lack of funds. I think I can hear the world`s smallest violin playing.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 16 Jun 12:50

Self inflicted it would appear.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/10816577/orange-order-selling-scottish-hq-vat-claims/

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 17 Jun 09:06

Completely unrelated, but the Bristol Bar has also gone into liquidation...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Jun 16:20

Quote:

jake89, Sat 17 Jun 09:06

Completely unrelated, but the Bristol Bar has also gone into liquidation...

Completely unrelated, aye? 🤔 I`d never heard of it but isn`t Google wonderful? A popular haunt for Rangers fans. There`s no chance of any members of the OO having ever darkened its doors then... 😃

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 07:04

Never mind Falkirk, Glasgow`s the place to be today, if Orange is your favourite colour.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/23624833.amp/

And a must to avoid for everyone else......

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 09:27

Unbelievable! Not just sad for Scotland in 2023, but my daughter will be in Glasgow city centre heading to bus station as she`s planning on coming back to Dunfermline today
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net