DAFC.net
Home 22 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Usyk
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 19 May 12:14

The Ukrainian deservedly established himself as the greatest heavyweight of his generation after outboxing Tyson Fury to become the undisputed champion. Incredibly it was a split decision when most objective observers would say that Usyk should have won on all scorecards by at least a couple of rounds.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Usyk
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sun 19 May 13:04

I had it close, the first few rounds could’ve really gone to any of them. Then Fury had an edge going through rounds 4, 5 and 6 but Usyk turned it on from 7 onwards and the knockdown made it all the more difficult.

Will be an intriguing rematch.

Agree Usyk was the deserved victor.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: arpar  
Date:   Sun 19 May 13:47

Usyk deserved it for sure. There were a lot of close rounds though and not unreasonable that one judge had it slightly for Fury.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Neil_Philp  
Date:   Mon 20 May 15:57

Generational talent

Never seen Fury smacked about like that in the latter part of the fight.

COYP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bletchley_Par  
Date:   Tue 21 May 01:30

I thought Fury won the fight, but as others have said there were a lot of close rounds and I have no issue with anyone who had it for Usyk.

The IBF are about to make themselves an international laughing stock by stripping Usyk of their belt, making their strap utterly worthless. If Usyk is not "undisputed" then he certainly is undisputable by anyone who knows anything about boxing.

I`m not a fan of the rematch clause culture that has crept into boxing where you have to beat a man twice to win the match, but I certainly am looking forward to these two having a go at each other again.

Fury needs less fannying about if he is to improve on his performance from Saturday, he had it within his grasp and his need to showboat cost him dear.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Tue 21 May 15:57

The rematch clause is a win/win really for both fighters as it gives the champ a safety net if there was a freak result like Lewis V Hasim Rahman, likewise if it was a close fight like Saturday it makes sense for TV and the money it would bring in for a rematch as it`s what the punters want.

On the flip side i`m sure there have been other times where there was a rematch clause and it was never followed through on given how one sided the initial contest was - Naseem v Barerra springs ton mind.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Thu 23 May 02:29

Quote:

TAFKA_Super_Petrie, Tue 21 May 15:57

The rematch clause is a win/win really for both fighters as it gives the champ a safety net if there was a freak result like Lewis V Hasim Rahman, likewise if it was a close fight like Saturday it makes sense for TV and the money it would bring in for a rematch as it`s what the punters want.

On the flip side i`m sure there have been other times where there was a rematch clause and it was never followed through on given how one sided the initial contest was - Naseem v Barerra springs ton mind.

Your arguement about a safety net for a freak result doesn`t hold water. The freak result can happen in the second fight not the first, so no safety net.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 11:08

Sorry SIF I`m not following you there. Why can the freak result not happen in the first fight? In my mind it can`t happen in the second fight as it wouldn`t then be a freak result if it had already happened once.
The example given was Lewis v Rahman. The result in the first fight was certainly an upset but if it happened again in the rematch I`m not sure it would have been.

Post Edited (Thu 23 May 11:10)
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Thu 23 May 20:14

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Thu 23 May 11:08

Sorry SIF I`m not following you there. Why can the freak result not happen in the first fight? In my mind it can`t happen in the second fight as it wouldn`t then be a freak result if it had already happened once.
The example given was Lewis v Rahman. The result in the first fight was certainly an upset but if it happened again in the rematch I`m not sure it would have been.

The first fight goes as expected, better fighter wins.
They are tied into a second fight due to these dumb contracts and freak result happens in the rematch. No safety net.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 May 00:02

Aye but then the crowd is invested and a trilogy is assured

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net