DAFC.net
Home 27 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Academy
Topic Originator: Parfect69  
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 17:45

Bin it. Not interested in maybe 1 player every 5 years. Let’s invest in the first team. Maybe someone who knows what the white netted thing is in between those two white thins are.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Academy
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 19:03

Get a decent team on the pitch first , then an Academy , the point of an academy in league 1 is what ???

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 19:37

The purpose of the academy is for the Germans to make money off any future players, that is their priority not the first team.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alter Ego  
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 19:45

Again and I stated this when they took over but yet again .nets finest dish out the cards etc. These investors have money but their long term investment is players going through the academy and selling on for ££.

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 19:50

Quote:

Alter Ego, Sat 09 Mar 19:45

Again and I stated this when they took over but yet again .nets finest dish out the cards etc. These investors have money but their long term investment is players going through the academy and selling on for ££.

Yes in league 1.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 19:54

It must be a very long-term plan then because the club has about £10m of accumulated losses which would have to be wiped out before any dividends could be paid.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 20:04

I think us fans if being honest couldn’t give a fook about 10 years time. We want to win on a Saturday or a Friday this week.

Post Edited (Sat 09 Mar 20:04)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 20:07

which is why the plan/idea will never work, that goes back to when Johnston got the sack when this started in a way.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 20:08

Quote:

Parfect69, Sat 9 Mar 20:04

I think us fans if being honest couldn’t give a fook about 10 years time. We want to win on a Saturday or a Friday this week.

I just want someone who can score a goal or 2

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 20:11

We should never start anything ever. Just don`t bother.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 20:11

I did say this Parfect and yet again got a mouthful from .nets finest saying the academy etc was the way to go and blah blah!
Who is running the academy now? Is it still the old Fife Elite admin and coaches?

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 20:12

We`re not struggling because we`re developing an academy. It`s two separate issues.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 20:14

STOP CALLING IT AN ACADEMY, ITS A TRAINING FACILITY!!!!!

We’ve developed plenty of young players over the last couple of years without a designated training facilities, so can only be seen as a good thing in the long run.

But immediate success should always come first…

Post Edited (Sat 09 Mar 20:14)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 20:16

Quote:

Dave_1885, Sat 9 Mar 20:14

STOP CALLING IT AN ACADEMY, ITS A TRAINING FACILITY!!!!!

We’ve developed plenty of young players over the last couple of years without a designated training facilities, so can only be seen as a good thing in the long run.

But immediate success should always come first…

How much of these above were sold for a considerable profit?

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 20:18

Good training facilities can attract players to join
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 20:19

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 20:22

Quote:

Rigger Al, Sat 9 Mar 20:19

I’m not sure about that, Rigger. It’s mainly about money ?

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 20:25

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 09 Mar 20:12

We`re not struggling because we`re developing an academy. It`s two separate issues.

One is impacting the other though. It’s as plain as the nose on your face
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 20:28

How? The Germans always said they didn`t come to the club to throw money at the current playing squad. It was more about investing in the future. So if the club weren`t interested in that they wouldn`t have invested at all.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 20:34

Not asking them to throw money at the first team though. A wee bit investment on a player who knows where the net is would be a start. For what it’s worth we are more than sufficient up to and including the midfield. Up front is woefully inadequate.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 20:37

We tried to sign Brophy and Rudden apparently. Who else were you thinking of? Contrary to what some fans think there aren`t many prolific scorers clubs are prepared to release in the January window.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 21:02

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 09 Mar 20:37

We tried to sign Brophy and Rudden apparently. Who else were you thinking of? Contrary to what some fans think there aren`t many prolific scorers clubs are prepared to release in the January window.

Agreed. Maybe we could have went that wee bit more in terms of of money. However if they don’t want to play for us then fair enough.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 21:10

Well supposedly Mr Cook is the man that anything goes through and decides what happens…. That says it all imo and you all can look into what he’s done in past dealings💁💁

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 21:11

Gid pals aye?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 21:36

3/4 years ago I told every singe pars fan on here these directors are not looking for the club to be in the top flight.. but make us a middle club that can sell young players to top teams. Imo we are ok in a championship division. Tbh Mr Cook and the owners can do one…. But who have we got now?

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 21:47

Quote:

Alter Ego, Sat 9 Mar 21:36

3/4 years ago I told every singe pars fan on here these directors are not looking for the club to be in the top flight.. but make us a middle club that can sell young players to top teams. Imo we are ok in a championship division. Tbh Mr Cook and the owners can do one…. But who have we got now?

Bore off, you’ve told people good for you. Move along
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 22:01

Offfft that’s not a nice reaction but we are going to be a championship club for a good few years.

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 22:04

That`s reassuring. Some on here think we`re going to be a League 1 club!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 22:10

Where will the budget to run the training complex come from?

Given our excellent record in attracting local players who then go on to good things how will this facility help them come to us? Hope you got the sarcasm.

Not sure realistically how much money we’ll make from selling players on, we’ll likely make more room sell on clauses inserted rather than initial fees, this just reduces the probability of it covering its costs even les.

Back to being drenched in my own negativity….

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 23:45

A complete waste of money, on attracting youngsters we are behind, at least 6 clubs , add on English clubs picking up scottish youngsters ,we are left with what?
What is our track record of producing youngsters to sell on in the last 30 years ?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 00:08

Isn`t one of the purposes of the Academy to improve on that record?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AveragePar  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 00:52

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 10 Mar 00:08

Isn`t one of the purposes of the Academy to improve on that record?

Exactly, feels as though the academy is just another thing the .net has decided needs a bashing because the teams not playing well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 07:58

Do rovers have an academy? They have a much better record at bringing players through in the last 20 years.

We talk about local lads like for example Scott brown, how is this complex going to mean he chooses us over the Edinburgh or Glasgow teams who will have a wider network to identify good youngsters at all age groups.

Football has changed, as we saw with nisbet we can’t command decent upfront fees as we’re so skint. So we need these youngsters to sign for teams with cash who also then sell them on for big money which is much rarer. I just hope it’s self sufficient.

Back to being drenched in my own negativity….

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 19:37

The academy will be more than just the facilities. It will be about introducing good coaching methods and standards. The facilities are one part of the equation
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 19:39

Will it be worth it if we are in league 1 with a run down stadium?

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 19:55

From what I have read, football academies are common in Germany. They see academies as a sustainable way to run the club. The top clubs attract not only local talent but international talent. They also run programmes for international players to spend 3 -12 months at the academy. The various age groups play against other academy teams in competitive leagues but also against local men`s teams. If successfully operated, I see it as a big opportunity for the club. It is seen as a very positive thing for young players to get a professional level of coaching at a young age and develop through a structured educational system
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 20:13

Quote:

Indiapar, Sun 10 Mar 19:55

From what I have read, football academies are common in Germany. They see academies as a sustainable way to run the club. The top clubs attract not only local talent but international talent. They also run programmes for international players to spend 3 -12 months at the academy. The various age groups play against other academy teams in competitive leagues but also against local men`s teams. If successfully operated, I see it as a big opportunity for the club. It is seen as a very positive thing for young players to get a professional level of coaching at a young age and develop through a structured educational system

Tbf, German clubs are not having to run said academies with League 1/Championship funds
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 21:14

Quote:

Andrew283, Sun 10 Mar 20:13

Quote:

Tbf, German clubs are not having to run said academies with League 1/Championship funds

I believe there are quite a few Bundesliga 2 clubs with well thought of academies.

If nothing else, it creates a decent training facility for the club that we have first dibs on and can rent out to the community.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 21:45

Quote:

jake89, Sun 10 Mar 21:14

Quote:

Andrew283, Sun 10 Mar 20:13

Quote:

I believe there are quite a few Bundesliga 2 clubs with well thought of academies.

If nothing else, it creates a decent training facility for the club that we have first dibs on and can rent out to the community.

Tbf, I`d imagine Bendesliga 2 teams to be taking in far greater funds than most in Scotland.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 22:26

I`ve said elsewhere that Falkirk had one but had to bin it because of the cost. Will we be any better / different.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 08:06

I would assume that the aim would for it to be self funding or benefit from grants such as UEFA solidarity payments longer term. I would also assume they will be aiming for some form of accreditation.

In term of investment, in Germany they have the 50+1 rule where outside investors do not have the final say, the majority shareholders being the supporters. The idea is that the supporters are seen as fans, not customers. I think this is the underlying principal behind the club.

Yesterday`s solutions are today`s problems. I see the change in ethos of the club with fans having more say and control, and investment in sustainable processes such as the academy will only be a good thing. I don`t see the German investors as dictating the future direction, more bringing the fans along in the journey. Perhaps in this day and age, being a supporter is more than paying on a Saturday to watch the game. Perhaps there are opportunities to see how supporters can become much more involved in the club and its activities so that the club is much more integrated into the community. I prefer not to prejudge the academy and the ultimate benefits. Examples of the outcomes of other academies may not be valid as circumstances may be different. I am happy to be patient and see how things develop. We never had an academy before, we have one now. That`s a positive step.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Turps  
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 10:25

Quote:

eastendalloapar, Sun 10 Mar 22:26

I`ve said elsewhere that Falkirk had one but had to bin it because of the cost. Will we be any better / different.

A decision they clearly regret as they have in recent years re-established a development squad.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 10:44

Falkirk had no option but to abandon their Academy, it was a huge drain on their funds which could no longer be sustained.

They still have ongoing financial concerns, so whatever they have replaced it with will be well removed from that earlier setup.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 16:01

There are several groups within DAFC including the DASC DONATION SHOP situated at the East End of the main stand, who donate monies for the Academy. The DASC DONATION SHOP donates all the monies we make within our shop on behalf of the fans who donate there pre-loved Pars and Scotland shirts plus memorabilia for the cause. Our shop is manned by a superb team of Volunteers , and we are also open pre-match hot/cold food which is also sponsored along with our home baking section on the buffet, also sponsored.
We sell items online (FACEBOOK) + part of our team is a young Pars fan who sells item on Ebay for us.
We have started to boost our Scotland tops for the Euros 2024 and would ask, if anybody has pre-loved Pars and Scotland shirts available, we would be glad to take them from you .
We will be open on Friday before the game at 5.45pm till 7.30pm. Thank You Pars Fans.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 19 Mar 15:18

https://griffinftbl.medium.com/why-intelligent-football-clubs-dont-have-youth-academies-450bdae15dbc

I recently read the above article.The author subsequently went to Hibs and is now at Blackburn Rovers, I believe.

I do worry about the ongoing operating costs and where the money will come from but on the plus side it will be good to have a training facility.
I still don`t know what the plan for the academy is.Is it going to rented out to break even?, are the clubs going to absorb the costs or is the plan to try and run it at a profit?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 19 Mar 17:28

It`ll be for us and rented out for community use. Hard to see how money won`t be made on it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 19 Mar 18:07

Quote:

jake89, Tue 19 Mar 17:28

It`ll be for us and rented out for community use. Hard to see how money won`t be made on it.

I hope you are right but the operating costs will be significant.I think it may have been on this thread that I mentioned Peterborough run theirs at a million pound loss every year.

Will there be grass pitches there too? Not sure I`d want to be training on AstroTurf permanently.I don`t care what anyone says it isn`t good for the joints compared to grass.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: NW 1966  
Date:   Tue 19 Mar 18:15

"the Germans", maybe call them collectively the board, or Fussball Gmbh contingent of the board. Ffs try a little harder.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: NW 1966  
Date:   Tue 19 Mar 18:23

I think it`s an admirable aspiration and if managed effectively to fruition (whilst maintaining a competitive team at a decent level) it will be a massive benefit to us longer term.
But it`s all about how we get there. It`s cost over £800k so far and that was made up of grants and £300k from Fussball Gmbh. That`s fine as none of it came from the clubs cash reserves, but how do the club finance the next stage, indeed what is the plan for the next stage. I`d like to see that.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 19:49

First team held first training session at new training facilities today. Great news that this is up and running before the end of the season!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 21:22

Quote:

Dave_1885, Tue 9 Apr 19:49

First team held first training session at new training facilities today. Great news that this is up and running before the end of the season!

Exactly - many people seem to miss that one of the main aims is to have decent training facilities for the first team. Also have people forgotten about some of the home grown players now in the first team squad? Reading an authorized biography of German coach Ernst Middendorp and he clearly values developing youth at all the clubs he has managed.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 21:25

Post Edited (Tue 09 Apr 21:26)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 22:09

Yesterday we trained on a 3g pitch with little other facilities, today we did the same.

I might get a little exited if/when genuine high class facilities are put in place, but right now they aren`t yet some seem to act like they are.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 22:15

Quote:

pars4life1, Tue 9 Apr 22:09

Yesterday we trained on a 3g pitch with little other facilities, today we did the same.

I might get a little exited if/when genuine high class facilities are put in place, but right now they aren`t yet some seem to act like they are.

Well, it`s a 4G pitch so it`s not the same 😉
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 22:26

Quote:

No-ones acting like anything. Stop making sh1t up. This is good news for the club you claim to support.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 22:37

Quote:

Jesus wept 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ anything for a moan eh?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 23:02

1. It’s a 3G pitch, despite clubs and manufacturers like to claim 4g does not exist.

2. A huge amount of the narrative on the training ground is around it being a top facility, it sounds incredible to deny that but guess I’m making stuff up and don’t even support the club 😂.

3. If stating facts is moaning then I’m moaning and will continue to do so, live with your head in the clouds if you want but the real world is where I live

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 23:07

Do you not think you`ve overreacted a wee bit?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Boomer  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 23:13

Thankfully most of us don’t live in your real world of negativity. The club are making the effort to improve training facilities and this surely is a good start so ffs stop moaning.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 23:32

“ Do you not think you`ve overreacted a wee bit?”

Don’t you when your immediate reaction to a simple factual post is to have a go at me and claim I don’t support the club?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 23:39

Honestly. Yeah.

Do you think this is good news or not?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 23:40

Quote:

pars4life1, Tue 9 Apr 23:02

1. It’s a 3G pitch, despite clubs and manufacturers like to claim 4g does not exist.

2. A huge amount of the narrative on the training ground is around it being a top facility, it sounds incredible to deny that but guess I’m making stuff up and don’t even support the club 😂.

3. If stating facts is moaning then I’m moaning and will continue to do so, live with your head in the clouds if you want but the real world is where I live

4 and 5g exist
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 23:53

Of course it’s good news, I never said it wasn’t, just that I wasn’t going to get excited over it until the project is backed up with the facilities that may give us a competitive advantage.

4 and 5g don’t exist beyond marketing nonsense. The G’s in artificial are no infill, sand infill, rubber infill. There has been significant technological improvements to the original rubber infill designs, but they are all still based off it, until that changes we are on versions and not a generational jump.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 23:57

Got to start somewhere. Would you rather they didn`t bother?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 06:48

I was talking with a colleague in Germany last night about the direction of football and Germany strongly believing in developing talent and it is highly valued in Germany. I think in Scotland we have more aligned thoughts and perceptions based upon the English model, but Germans just don’t want football to be run by people with no “skin in the game” (reference to the people who have buckets of cash to come in and leave when they want). This is a very big discussion in Germany as they already see the issues in the Champions league or this Super League.
I also am interested in the long terms plans of DAFC, but I get the feeling that my perceptions have been on the English model and we need to start to think more about how German’s run their football clubs. I certainly didn’t understand that bond that exists to last night between the clubs and their fans as a unified entity.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 09:13

Quote:

pars4life1, Tue 9 Apr 23:53

Of course it’s good news, I never said it wasn’t, just that I wasn’t going to get excited over it until the project is backed up with the facilities that may give us a competitive advantage.

4 and 5g don’t exist beyond marketing nonsense. The G’s in artificial are no infill, sand infill, rubber infill. There has been significant technological improvements to the original rubber infill designs, but they are all still based off it, until that changes we are on versions and not a generational jump.

If you cant tell the difference between a 3G pitch and a 4G pitch you clearly haven’t played on them very often……..

Another positive about this now being up and running is that we now will no longer need to rent out other facilities, meaning saving money and not needing to rely on that facility being able to accommodate us.

Remember just 2/3 years ago we were training on the cricket field at McKane Park, and now have our own, unique facility.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 11:13

Quote:

pars4life1, Tue 9 Apr 23:53

Wrong.
You`re getting confused with 4G+ pitches not being accredited yet. Sand is 2G, rubber is 3G. 4G is no infill required. The only thing they have in common is being artificial.

It technically won`t affect Scotland but the plan is to ban rubber infilled 3G pitches by 2031.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 11:34

I know it`s going back a long time, but was our plastic pitch at EEP 1G or maybe pre-G? Whatever it was, it wasn`t too popular. Things have progressed since then.

Incidentally, last week, I was chatting to the manager of our local sports centre, and he mentioned 3G and 4G. At first, I thought he was talking about mobile phones, but I got the impression that he felt 4G would be better suited to indoor rather than outdoor facilities.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 11:49

The original pitch was from XL Turf but I don`t recall it being graded.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 11:55

Quote:

jake89, Wed 10 Apr 11:49

Thr 2nd surface was much better. I`m no pro, but did try them both and it was night and day

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 12:04

I think for the update regarding the training facilities was definitely a positive and I think most Pars fans would appreciate it`s not the finished article.

Two things in a week from the club the fanzone and the train facilities both positive in my opinion.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 12:46

Topic Originator: EastEndTales like
Date: Wed 10 Apr 11:55

Quote:

Thr 2nd surface was much better. I`m no pro, but did try them both and it was night and day

The first pitch was awful. It was plastic tiles glued around the edges meaning if you came down on the edge of a tile, you knew about it

The second pitch was far better - more like the ones you see today, but by then the jury had us convicted and sent down!

I can confirm that EET, is no pro :-)

Post Edited (Wed 10 Apr 12:47)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 10 Apr 13:05

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Wed 10 Apr 12:46

Topic Originator: EastEndTales like
Date: Wed 10 Apr 11:55

Quote:

The first pitch was awful. It was plastic tiles glued around the edges meaning if you came down on the edge of a tile, you knew about it

The second pitch was far better - more like the ones you see today, but by then the jury had us convicted and sent down!

I can confirm that EET, is no pro :-)

Ironically both pitches were worse than the one laid at Dalgety Bay at the time 😂 I mind we had rugby training at EEP during the winter with the first pitch I think - wasnt too keen on hitting the deck on it.

To put it into perspective of how advanced astros have become, when it was laid Im sure the surface at DHS was graded high enough to “host” a Champions League final - pretty high standard if you ask me!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 08:45

There is a compelling case that youth systems work and that`s great. The issue I think the club finds itself is we sit 1 hour away from both Glasgow teams, both Edinburgh teams, amongst others. We don`t exactly have a history of players coming through our system and making a career in a higher level than we have been?

Of course if we improve our facilities then we should hopefully be more attractive to younger players although I guess proof will be 5 or so years away until we can say if it was worth the investment or not.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 10:17

There are bonuses to being in the central belt though in terms.of academies. Under 18s will typically be living with their parents so somewhere like Dunfermline/Rosyth is pretty accessible to people travelling from town and cities around the area.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 11:08

A lot of clubs are picking up players now at 8/9 years of age, how they spot them at that age I don`t know.

I`ve seen a seasoned pro(now retired)at that age and thought he would never make it as a player!

Has Foden not been at Manchester City since a very young age?

Bringing them in when young may build up some loyalty to the club, Pars Foundation seems to be going down that route!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 11:36

As far as I know there is Celtic,Rangers,Hearts,Hibs and Dundee Utd scouts down at Pitreavie at the weekends looking at players. I haven`t seen a Dunfermline scout down there.
Having our own training hub is going to be excellent to attract the young players in but we need to be seen looking at players etc.

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 11:39

"We don`t exactly have a history of players coming through our system and making a career in a higher level than we have been?"

probably scewed by us being part of (and heavily funding) a centralised "Fife Academy" which produced a few players who when it came to moving Pro chose Raith but then had pretty decent careers. Guys Like David Bates going onto Rangers/Hamburg.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 12:58

Apologies if I’m not understanding this correctly but why would our own scout be at our academy? Surely they would be at other clubs’ training facilities scouting? Like the clubs listed in AE’s post?

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 14:50

I think he is meaning watching teams like crossgates etc etc who play in the leagues at pitreavie Buffy .

I was talking to my boss, her laddie had trials at st Johnstone , livi and rangers she didn`t even know Dunfermline had an academy as she`s never seen a scout at their games. She asked the coach and he was the same. He has Just signed with st Johnstone.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 16:45

Buffy,
Sorry I meant watching the teams that play down Pitreavie on a sat/sunday.
There is also similar set ups throughout Fife and Central like the Soccer 7`s that a vast amount of age groups/different teams play each other.
I have been at Pitreavie for the past 7 years and cannot remember seeing a pars scout watching games.

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 17:34

Ah I see, no worries.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 19:11

Quote:

Alter Ego, Thu 11 Apr 16:45

Buffy,
Sorry I meant watching the teams that play down Pitreavie on a sat/sunday.
There is also similar set ups throughout Fife and Central like the Soccer 7`s that a vast amount of age groups/different teams play each other.
I have been at Pitreavie for the past 7 years and cannot remember seeing a pars scout watching games.

Thats cause he’s too busy working on his touch for the warm up at East End 🙄
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 19:16

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Thu 11 Apr 11:08

A lot of clubs are picking up players now at 8/9 years of age, how they spot them at that age I don`t know.

I`ve seen a seasoned pro(now retired)at that age and thought he would never make it as a player!

Has Foden not been at Manchester City since a very young age?

Bringing them in when young may build up some loyalty to the club, Pars Foundation seems to be going down that route!

I think KRH told me was at Man City for 10 years before moving to Rangers. How old is he now? 21/22. He must have been just out of nappies when he joined City...... 😃

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 21:05

He probably would have been 8/9 years old GG.
Don’t get me wrong you can see certain skills/running at that age which if you took those players into an academy but they need coaching at the highest level…. Now some of those players will be let go as normal players for their teams have improved…
I would say pro youth teams aren’t allowed to pick up players till under 14 level and if they do these players work as an apprentice helping all aspects at the academy during their training etc.

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 21:27

There are three players in my sons team….aged 9…..that look really good and I will be very surprised if they are not picked up by someone soon … a Hibs/Hearts for example….Pars ? Hope so but it seems we are still lacking in that department.

Truth is, only about 1% of kids who sign up for professional teams academies actually go on to have a successful career in football.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 22:23

We seem to have a good crop of young players just now. If our recruitment and scouting are so poor how have we managed to achieve that?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 22:38

Topic Originator: wee eck like
Date: Thu 11 Apr 22:23

We seem to have a good crop of young players just now. If our recruitment and scouting are so poor how have we managed to achieve that?

We certainly seem to be improving without doubt but in all my years following the Pars I think we have been pretty poor in our youth development.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 22:57

Maybe that`s why the board decided it would be a good idea to have our own training ground and Academy!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 23:07

Quote:

desparado, Thu 11 Apr 22:38

Topic Originator: wee eck like
Date: Thu 11 Apr 22:23

We certainly seem to be improving without doubt but in all my years following the Pars I think we have been pretty poor in our youth development.

I was chatting to a pal recently and wondering whether pound for pound if we have the worst youth development record in Scotland for a club our size?
[IP address logged]

I concur. It’s about time we had a conveyor belt of talent coming through the ranks. We have a few just now playing in the first team and a few more on the fringes, more than I can ever remember.

Look forward to the day when we have 5/6 first team regulars who have come up through the ranks. And another 3/4 on the bench every week.

[IP address logged]

I mean in the last few decades... This crop is the best in my lifetime supporting the pars since the 80s.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 23:08

Quote:

desparado, Thu 11 Apr 23:07

I concur. It’s about time we had a conveyor belt of talent coming through the ranks. We have a few just now playing in the first team and a few more on the fringes, more than I can ever remember.

Look forward to the day when we have 5/6 first team regulars who have come up through the ranks. And another 3/4 on the bench every week.

Totally agree
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 12 Apr 01:11

We have produced some half decent players over the last decade, Jordan White, Shaun Byrne, Callum Smith, Ross Millen, Lewis Martin, Lewis Milne, Kevin McHattie, PJ Crossan, Scott Mercer, Ryan Williamson, Lewis Spence. The first 4 there would have been positive additions to this year`s team, and some of the other are solid enough players. You can see how with a bit of investment into the Academy we could have a conveyor belt of kids coming through to the first team. Looks like there may be some gems coming through.

It will be interesting to see who replaces Greg Shields, in my opinion they should have begged Stevie Crawford to come home
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Apr 09:06

"We seem to have a good crop of young players just now. If our recruitment and scouting are so poor how have we managed to achieve that?"

but only seeing that now as we start to move things back "in house" having significantly funded the centralised Fife Academy over the past decade

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: doctordandruff  
Date:   Fri 12 Apr 09:32

Fife Elite Academy was hobbled by the political decision to build it in Glenrothes instead of the planned Pitreavie. Rosyth opens up the entire Central belt. Hopefully parents can look at KRH, Otoo etc and see what the club is about and base decisions on that rather than send their kids to the `Rangers East of Scotland` squad.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Apr 10:11

agreed, we still managed to see kids from Kelty etc go over to Hearts academy rather than the 10mins along to glenrothes for Fife Academy.

Picking up players from SPFL/EPL/Championship academies and givnig them a chance is very much a framework to build on. Does need a core of experience in the squad as well though. Worked well with guys like Josh coming from Nike and supported with Geggan who had a bit more experience

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Apr 10:40

It`s the problem with most things "Fife" that they assume putting it in Kirkcaldy/Glenrothes makes sense.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WarringtonPar  
Date:   Fri 12 Apr 16:41

Willie Callaghan (Cowdenbeath), Tom Callaghan (Cowdenbeath)John Lunn (Townhill), Jim Fraser (Burntisland) Alex Edwards (Rosyth) Bert Paton (Valleyfield) Jim Thomson (Dunfermline)
The core of our greatest team ever were discovered locally.
Dunfermline United produced Jim Leishman, Kenny Thomson, Jim Scott, Ian Campbell, Richard Campbell.
If you have the facilities and the organisation there is no lack of talent in the area. Once we took our eye off the ball the likes of Gordon Durie, Steven Presley, Stevie Crawford, Maurice Malpas, Derek Stark all slipped the net. Establishing an effectively organised Youth Academy or training facility whatever you want to call it with a proper coaching structure will reap rewards for years even decades if the right commitment is there. Dunfermline/Rosyth had never had better transport connections. I think it’s the most exciting development for the Pars in a very long time.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 06:24

On COWS James McPake is very enthusiastic about us now having our own training ground and reckons it provides a benefit in attracting players to the club.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 08:36

having been at pitreavie last night im sure there is just relief from the players that they no longer have to drive there and risk loosing a wheel in the 100 potholes on that road. An absolute disgrace how run down it is

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 11:10

Who owns Pitreavie? Is it still the pension fund set up by Masterton?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 12:52

Council own the road way to Pitreavie building so I would assume the potholes will be there for a while yet!

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars-Al  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 13:39

Not a council adopted road if you look at the map of adopted roads on the Fife Council website

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 13:52

Thought Bayside were the big users at Pitreavie, lots of their branding around the complex?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 14:10

Article on COWS now.

https://dafc.co.uk/training-ground-adds-professionalism

Includes this quote :-

Training ground adds professionalism
April 16, 2024
9:00 pm

This week James McPake’s has been delighted to see the club’s own training ground starting to come to fruition. The astro surface has been commissioned at their Rosyth centre and no longer will he be plagued with questions about when it is coming at supporters’ meetings. He told the website:-

“It’s been in the background for so long, and spoken about for so long. Every fans meeting there’s been questions, and rightly so, because it was a big thing. It’ll just be the astro at the start, but it at least gives us a base.”

Have we reemployed the statement writer from our relegation season? No need for the snidey wee “plagued with questions” from supporters. Nice way to see what someone at the club thinks about fans daring to ask about the training ground. 😂😂😂

In seriousness I doubt the club or manager are that bothered about that really, and it’s a huge positive. Be interesting to see when the changing facilities will be placed at the training ground as reading the rest of the article, still expected to change at EEP before and after going to Rosyth?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 17:17

Quote:

desparado, Thu 11 Apr 21:27

There are three players in my sons team….aged 9…..that look really good and I will be very surprised if they are not picked up by someone soon … a Hibs/Hearts for example….Pars ? Hope so but it seems we are still lacking in that department.

Truth is, only about 1% of kids who sign up for professional teams academies actually go on to have a successful career in football.

My son turned 7yo in March and is already training with Rangers and Celtic, he started with Pars Community and it was great but even though he was a stand out they never even told us they had a 2017’s team then by the time I identified it and asked they just said they were full without even seeing him so he went to Kelty Hearts.

It’s waaay too young for senior teams at that age but he gets free top quality coaching - he still played with his existing team too so he experiences totally different styles of coaching. Will get to play at Ibrox or Murray Park and will periodically play at Toryglen with Celtic. These are all life experiences and they will without a doubt make him a better footballer than he otherwise would be for whatever level he ultimately settles at whether pub team or above (if he stays enjoying it).

Celtic is a pathway scheme whereas Rangers (I think as it’s vague) is a catch and release thing where they renew with new kids regularly but that’s under review
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 17:26

Quote:

Playup_Pompey, Fri 12 Apr 10:11

agreed, we still managed to see kids from Kelty etc go over to Hearts academy rather than the 10mins along to glenrothes for Fife Academy.

Picking up players from SPFL/EPL/Championship academies and givnig them a chance is very much a framework to build on. Does need a core of experience in the squad as well though. Worked well with guys like Josh coming from Nike and supported with Geggan who had a bit more experience

Didn’t Falkingham sign from Arbroath, having joined them from St Johnstone? Or are you talking about another Josh? I’m actually a fan of signing guys like Otoo and KRH, who won’t make the cut at bigger clubs, but can play regularly and progress here.

I’d also like to see us take some younger players from clubs in league 1/2 as well. The guy Reilly who was at Albion Rovers last season would have been a good option - I believe we did offer him a deal. We had a spell where that kind of strategy was fairly successful - signing guys like Kyle Turner, Josh Edwards, Euan Murray, Kevin Nisbet from clubs in lower leagues - but they were all capable of making that step up.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ladswell_Thistle  
Date:   Fri 19 Apr 14:38

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Wed 17 Apr 13:52

Thought Bayside were the big users at Pitreavie, lots of their branding around the complex?

All their teams seem to train there. However the older ones play games in Dalgety Bay (on the grass pitches)

The astro at Dalgety Bay though appears to be home of the Swifts Fc and all their youth teams.

🤷‍♂️

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 12:13

Crawford leaving Cowden now their seasons over to go on to a “new venture” as stated in their confirmation statement - could this be as our head of academy?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 12:23

Quote:

Dave_1885, Sun 21 Apr 12:13

Crawford leaving Cowden now their seasons over to go on to a “new venture” as stated in their confirmation statement - could this be as our head of academy?

I hope so, for identification and development of talent, he would be a great choice
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 14:00

Mare clubs this season than Tiger Woods that boy

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 09:08

It would make sense. A local boy that fits with the ethos of the academy.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 09:24

Crawford would be the best person for the head of academy job.

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 11:50

He’s not coming back. Looking at doing his own thing, was at Pitreavie over the weekend.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 12:52

I don`t know if he has an eye for a good prospect, but Cardle does great work with the JC Academy. Obviously doesn`t need to be an ex-Par who leads up the academy!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 21:56

Imo there has to be a problem that the club can’t get someone in as head of academy?

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 22:04

Quote:

Alter Ego, Mon 22 Apr 21:56

Imo there has to be a problem that the club can’t get someone in as head of academy?

Can`t or haven`t as yet?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 22:06

Nothing in the official article actually stated when he would step down - did he step down right away, when a replacement is found or when his contract ends?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 22:36

I think the problem is there are still the old school Fife Elite coaches still there in the academy…

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ladswell_Thistle  
Date:   Tue 23 Apr 15:28

Was there not an article somewhere that said they had 4 or 5 really good candidates?

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net