DAFC.net
Home 09 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Pars v United - Pre-match Thread
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 10:46

I know we`ll be long odds to win on Friday, but I don`t believe we`ll lose the game if we score the first goal. What do other fans think?

This is not the official match thread, so Buffy, Oz and Co. can relax - I`m not trying to muscle in on your patch. 😉

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Pars v United - Pre-match Thread
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 10:49

We`ve scored in one game in the past 4. Something needs to change in our attacking shape as it`s the same issue as we`ve had most of the season.

Really hope they turn up like they did at Firhill recently and take more than a few of our chances.

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 10:49

At this stage hoping Chris kane is going to be back first and foremost

BEAST!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 11:04

United to score, we won`t.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 11:10

You can never tell in this league.

I`m just hoping for a positive performance.

If we get a result happy days if we don`t then hopefully we still have some positives to take from the match.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 11:29

At this stage of the season and considering the fact that we are in a battle to avoid the relegation playoff, there will be no positives if we lose.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 12:13

I would have said law of averages suggests we’re due a good performance but think we got that performance agaisnt Ayr.

If we’re to get anything from the game on Friday we have to score first and as ever we’ll be relying on goals from midfield or Defence to get us over the line.

Fancy it will be 2-1 United, another half decent performance but ultimately falling short again. If we get anything from the game it will be an absolute bonus.

Back to being drenched in my own negativity….

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 12:28

The problem with this league is there really isn`t much between teams so it could go either way. Watching Partick and Raith last night was quite frustrating. It could have been a big win for Partick but it just didn`t happen for them. Raith looked bang average whilst Partick were making all the chances. It really does feel like it comes down to luck.

Our biggest issue will be that goal threat. We did well last season due to a very tight defence. I think the guys who have come in and the return of Bene will help us but we can`t win games if we don`t score goals. Having the likes of KRH and Todd back is a boost but really we need the strikers getting the service to score goals.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 12:29

this is one crazy league anything can happen partick havent won in 8 games pars have won 2 in same time arbroath couldnt buy a win then 2-0 down beat raith so anything is possible if we can score first havent lost any game since april 2022 v q o s when we score first

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 12:48

Pitch was the winner last night, will ours hold up any better?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 13:13

I``m not expecting anything from this game we aren`t aggressive enough to win games like this , We don`t get in teams` faces enough to put them under real pressure.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 13:22

Quote:

GG Riva, Wed 13 Mar 10:46
This is not the official match thread, so Buffy, Oz and Co. can relax - I`m not trying to muscle in on your patch. 😉

A likely story GG. I feel it needs an investigation and a huge cuddle fae yersel on the night. Just to clear things up.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PansPar  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 13:36

I think Utd will score so we need at least one to take something from the game.

We`ve managed 6 goals in the last 8 games. 3 of those were direct from set pieces, with another one coming from opportunism by Kane / a defensive lapse by Ayr.

So I`d really like to see us change something going forward - we can`t just keep hoping for the best from the most recent setup, particularly if Kane is out. If we didn`t need him at the back I`d be all in favour of sticking MFW up front and just getting the ball in to the box for him to attack. That won`t happen.

I do hope Paul Allan starts though. He`s been playing well and knows how to take a set piece, which is clearly where we`re having the most joy.

Post Edited (Wed 13 Mar 13:38)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 13:37

Agree legend, although I would say we have improved on being more aggressive moving otoo into midfield, if we could also get Hamilton in there it would be an improvement again.

Back to being drenched in my own negativity….

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 13:46

Wasn`t Hammy in midfield on Saturday?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 14:48

The Utd fans are probably rightly quite confident but they`ve also noted that the result at the weekend didn`t truly reflect how the game went so we`re not going to be a walk in the park.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 14:58

Most fans probably expect us to lose this, therefore it can be seen as a "free hit"?

Let`s set about them form the kick off, adopt a high press, force mistakes and see if we can get a goal or two?

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parster  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 15:09

Will Chris kane be back or is fatigue d the new word for injured

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SeasonedPar  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 15:52

8 games left of this sorry season including Friday night.

A draw would be a good result, but we can’t defend! Even with Bene back, we need to take the game to the Arabs and hope for a break in front of goal. A win, I’ll be delighted!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ronaldo  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 16:40

I thought we defended really well the last time we played them, And, if Todd and Kane are both playing - with Moffat and KRH involved too - then we have a lot more to offer going forward than we did at Tannadice. Grounds for optimism.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wulliepar57  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 17:25

I am in the same camp as raymie , most folk will be expecting us to lose to united
So any points we can pick up will be a bonus for us ! but I want all 3 points
We certainly cannot let them dictate the play , we should be on the front foot and force them into mistakes instead of the other way around , we need a big performance on the night which we are more than capable of doing and as we all know if we can get that first goal ! it will give the team a lot of confidence and will make United open up more , and then it`s them chasing the game not us !
Cmon Ye Pars

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 17:43

Moffat had a great game in the last game against them at home. Surely starts ahead of Summers?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 17:57

It sounds strange placing all hope on one player but if Kane is still injured I don’t think we stand a chance I’m afraid. I have no confidence in our other strikers to find the net, which makes him such a key player. I believe our record with Kane in the squad is won 2 and drew 1 (which really should have been a victory too!)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 18:05

I`m feeling a bit more confident than I was when I started this thread as I`ve heard that at least one other player who`s been out injured will start on Friday. The person who told me isn`t James McPake, so I won`t name the player in case he was talking through a hole in his balaclava. 🙄

Buffy, a big, bear hug cuddle, is coming your way before the game. 😃

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 18:58

Reading the manager`s preview it sounds like Fisher and Tod will be available but Kane may have to wait until next week when Breen might also be ready. He said Otoo was subbed last week as a precaution as he`d been feeling some groin pain but he should be OK.

Every time we play United the consensus on here is that we`ll get thumped but we`ve probably deserved more than the two points we`ve gained from the three previous meetings.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TommyR  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 19:47

Agree with wee eck.

Well get something out of this or it`ll be very close. United has been about the only team we`ve actually had something out of this season and they don`t like playing us.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 19:56

Quote:

wee eck, Wed 13 Mar 18:58

Reading the manager`s preview it sounds like Fisher and Tod will be available but Kane may have to wait until next week when Breen might also be ready. He said Otoo was subbed last week as a precaution as he`d been feeling some groin pain but he should be OK.

Every time we play United the consensus on here is that we`ll get thumped but we`ve probably deserved more than the two points we`ve gained from the three previous meetings.

So, in summary. McPake gets slated for our injury record and also gets absolute venom from the stands for subbing Otoo as a precaution. Cool.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 20:38

Quote:

Rusty Shackleford, Wed 13 Mar 19:56

Quote:

So, in summary. McPake gets slated for our injury record and also gets absolute venom from the stands for subbing Otoo as a precaution. Cool.

It wasn`t bloody obvious before or at the time, nor discussed post match. Hardly a surprise given how well he was playing.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 20:52

United have won more than twice as many games as us, scored nearly twice as many goals, conceded fewer than half our number of goals, and got nearly twice as many points.

I am reminded of Marshal Foch at the Battle of the Marne:
"My center is giving way, my right is retreating: Situation excellent, I attack"

It worked in 1914. Similar tactics might work in 2024 ...

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (DADSC) when you shop online with one of 7000 firms: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc[
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 23:27

Which formation did he play, Stanza? 😂😂😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Thu 14 Mar 02:48

Quote:

wee eck, Wed 13 Mar 23:27

Which formation did he play, Stanza? 😂😂😂

He got them to win their midfield battles and then bomb down the wings...

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (DADSC) when you shop online with one of 7000 firms: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc[

Post Edited (Thu 14 Mar 02:48)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Mar 05:45

Quote:

EastEndTales, Wed 13 Mar 20:38

Quote:

Rusty Shackleford, Wed 13 Mar 19:56

Quote:

It wasn`t bloody obvious before or at the time, nor discussed post match. Hardly a surprise given how well he was playing.

It may not have been obvious that Otoo had been injured, but for some fans to assume that McPake would have subbed one of the best players on the park for tactical reasons is crazy logic.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Thu 14 Mar 06:50

Then maybe he should have explained that then? Sadly as much as we appreciate the efforts, the interviews for Pars TV or the website (not sure which is which, which is something I`ve mentioned before) never ask questions like that so we don`t find out. Instead we got McPake shaking his head at the booing as if he was disagreeing with the fans, and fans of both sides and the radio commentary team perplexed at the decision.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Mar 07:00

Exactly Kelty.

GG it`s like you`re Mr Hindsight here. You never heard fans boo a sub they think is wrong? In the moment? We were getting beat again in a derby it`s hardly a shock.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Mar 09:01

Just to clarify re Otoo - the manager said he`d felt some pain since the Inverness game; it wasn`t an injury that happened in the Rovers game. He went on to say that a benefit of players returning from injury was he now had more options to protect players who maybe weren`t 100%.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Thu 14 Mar 09:27

Defensively we will be better this week I think. To take the pressure off we simply need to be clinical in front of goal and take the opportunities that arise. I hope they have been doing some target practice in training...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Mar 09:29

Quote:

EastEndTales, Thu 14 Mar 07:00

Exactly Kelty.

GG it`s like you`re Mr Hindsight here. You never heard fans boo a sub they think is wrong? In the moment? We were getting beat again in a derby it`s hardly a shock.

Sorry, mate. I didn`t mean to sound like that. 😒

KP, makes some good points, especially `re asking pertinent questions along the lines of "the fans were obviously unhappy about Otoo being subbed. Was it a tactical switch or was he carrying an injury?"

In fairness to the ParsTV team, they are volunteers doing their best, not highly paid pros like their colleagues on SKY etc.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Mar 09:44

Nah don`t worry about it, we`re all just annoyed at our position right now.

I also asked at the time that if that`s not an injury then WTF is he doing. I`m almost glad it was because he`d have been mad taking him off tactically.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 14 Mar 10:25

It`s almost as if the manager might know a bit more about fitba than us.....

I thought it bizarre at the time but I'm also glad it wasn't tactical

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"

Post Edited (Thu 14 Mar 10:25)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Mar 12:20

Quote:

EastEndTales, Thu 14 Mar 09:44

Nah don`t worry about it, we`re all just annoyed at our position right now.

I also asked at the time that if that`s not an injury then WTF is he doing. I`m almost glad it was because he`d have been mad taking him off tactically.

Am no worrying about it, mate. You die if you worry - you die if you don`t, so why worry? 😄
I wasn`t one of the ones who was booing, as I was convinced it couldn`t be a tactical change. If McPake was taking off one of our best performers, there had to be a good reason, although like many in the crowd, I wasn`t aware that he was carrying an injury.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Football_Par  
Date:   Thu 14 Mar 14:56

heard the pitch is flooded, anyone else heard that ?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Mar 15:13

My back garden turns into a swamp when there`s bad rain. I`m a mile or so as the crow flies. It`s wet but not worse than it`s been over the past few weeks. If the pitch is wet then it`ll be because of the under soil heating.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Mar 15:28

Quote:

kelty_par, Thu 14 Mar 06:50

Then maybe he should have explained that then? Sadly as much as we appreciate the efforts, the interviews for Pars TV or the website (not sure which is which, which is something I`ve mentioned before) never ask questions like that so we don`t find out. Instead we got McPake shaking his head at the booing as if he was disagreeing with the fans, and fans of both sides and the radio commentary team perplexed at the decision.

I get what you`re saying, KP and would go as far as to say I completely agree with you, but you have to remember ParsTV is an in-house company. The guys who run it are Pars fans from cradle to grave - they`re not going to say or do anything which may upset their relationship with the manager or his squad, especially straight after a game in which most neutrals would probably agree that our performance deserved better than a 2-0 defeat.

If anyone was going to offer an explanation for Otoo`s substitution, it would have to have been the manager himself, but he was obviously as gutted as we were to have been undone by conceding two avoidable goals and a wonder save by Dabrowski. I think if you care to trawl through some previous post-match interviews you`ll find that McPake often explains his changes, whether tactical or otherwise.

I think we can forgive him on this occasion, given the circumstances, don`t you?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Thu 14 Mar 18:52

I get that GG but plenty of other clubs manage to have volunteers who are fans of the club ask interesting questions. Yes, you lob in a few soft balls but a quick "Ewan Otoo showed his class again today, but unfortunately he had to be taken off - was that an injury or something tactical?" He could then praise Otoo and add something "it wasn`t tactical" without going into details. I`ve actually interviewed a manager and player for the club before (albeit after a win) and the manager didn`t like one particular question but 10 seconds later with a different question he was fine and he was very gracious in the end.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Mar 17:54

I hope the match isn`t as one-sided as the preview on the BBC Sport website. Apart from being mentioned as Dundee United`s opponents tonight we don`t get a mention!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Mar 17:54

Suits me. Underdog mentality could help.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Mar 18:00

Print it off and pin it to the changing-room wall!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  
Date:   Fri 15 Mar 18:18

This game will be a question of how many United win by
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: d3monstrate  
Date:   Fri 15 Mar 18:53

When I`ve seen United this season, they don`t seem to use any width in the final third, most attempts are worked into the box. And since cross balls have been our weakness this season, it probably suggests why weve faired better against them than most other teams...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fergie  
Date:   Fri 15 Mar 19:34

Just hope we get a decent crowd behind us tonight after the disappointment of last week
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Fri 15 Mar 21:51

Quote:

dafc-chris1, Fri 15 Mar 18:18

This game will be a question of how many United win by

Ye were saying Chris ??
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net