DAFC.net
Home 28 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 McPake in The Courier
Topic Originator: Ahoy!Ahoy!  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 18:57

Says we are struggling to compete with other Championship clubs and can’t compete with the wages players are being offered.

We were interested in Chalmers, McMann, Easton and Oakley but couldn’t compete.

This is exactly what we want to hear in the buildup to a new season.

Post Edited (Thu 20 Jun 18:58)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: McPake in The Courier
Topic Originator: The Boss  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 19:14

Old news 😂. We just have to suck it whilst paying more. Whereas other clubs have frozen their prises and seem to be signing like there is no tomorrow.

I like black and white (dreaming of black and white)
You like black and white
Run run away
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 19:15

That`s not depressing in the slightest. Another awful season incoming then probably
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 19:34

Certainly doesn’t seem to be a lot of ambition surrounding EEP at the moment and this statement seems to compound that a couple of injuries and we will be struggling at the wrong end again COYP

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alter Ego  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 19:38

I wonder if McPake has done this on the sly without the club knowing? Just before an open day etc…He’s probably had enough and I don’t blame him. Supposedly Cook is really hard to deal with over player transfers etc.

Post Edited (Thu 20 Jun 19:42)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 19:48

Really? He`s stolen the login for the COWS site, typed up an interview and released it without anyone knowing? Nah come on.

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 20:02

EH naw… he was interviewed by the Courier and the club will have to put it on the cows website? Do you think the top boys in the club will be happy about this given there is a strip launch on Saturday? Or has McPake just done the dirty work by saying this as the Germans/Cook etc are nowhere to be heard of or seen?

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Toddyrov  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 20:19

Well that’s bloody depressing.

Effe
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 20:20

Quote:

Alter Ego, Thu 20 Jun 20:02

EH naw… he was interviewed by the Courier and the club will have to put it on the cows website? Do you think the top boys in the club will be happy about this given there is a strip launch on Saturday? Or has McPake just done the dirty work by saying this as the Germans/Cook etc are nowhere to be heard of or seen?

Imagine the Germans being in Germany for the European Championships being held in Germany …..

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsdaft  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 20:25

Not to forget the monthly fans contribution of ~ £20k that no other team has. Pretty strange thing for a manager to come out with.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 21:08

Anyone able to paste the article on here, having to subscribe to read it otherwise
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 21:09

Oh well let our German owners have a great break in Germany for the Euros and not worry about their investment?

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parak obama  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 21:18

Quote:

Berry, Thu 20 Jun 21:08

Anyone able to paste the article on here, having to subscribe to read it otherwise

It`s In the close season deals thread top of page 2

James McPake: Dunfermline ‘can’t compete’ with transfer rivals

The Pars boss has already missed out on targets this summer.

James McPake has confessed he fears Dunfermline ‘just can’t compete’ with big-spending Championship rivals this summer.

The Pars have so far recruited only Chris Kane on a permanent deal following his successful loan from St Johnstone last season.

However, with four first-team players departing at the end of their contracts and six further loanees returning to their parent clubs, the Fifers clearly need to strengthen.

It is thought the East End Park side had identified the likes of Logan Chalmers, George Oakley, Scott McMann and Dylan Easton as possible targets this summer.

Dunfermline boss James McPake appears to have been frustrated in the transfer market so far this summer.

But McPake appears to have been frustrated so far in his attempts to add to his squad, with rivals Raith Rovers, Ayr United and Partick Thistle all recruiting impressively.

Without a big ‘Premiership’ club boasting a bumper budget, the Dunfermline boss believes some clubs are sensing an opportunity to land promotion to the Premiership next term.

McPake told Courier Sport: “At the minute, we can’t compete when it comes to the wages you’re hearing players are getting or that the agents are telling you other clubs are offering.

“There have been a couple of players we were interested in but we just can’t match certain teams in this league.

“Every manager would say they want to go out and sign as many good players as they can.

“In terms of the squad we have just now, when they’re all fit, I believe it’s decent enough; it’s pretty strong.

“But we know we need to add to it.

“This is a tough league, and you can see with some of the signings that have been made that there are clubs who are desperate to go and try and get out of it.

“There isn’t a Hearts or a Hibs or a Dundee United next season, and that’s the first time for a while there’s not been a team with a big gulf in their budget.

“I think that’s why a lot of teams are doing that for next season.”

Raith Rovers have recruited Lewis Stevenson, Callum Fordyce and Shaun Byrne, Ayr United have snapped up Oakley, McMann and Marco Rus, and Partick Thistle have signed Robbie Crawford, Kyle Turner and Chalmers.

With relegated Livingston undergoing a significant overhaul with eight new recruits and Falkirk agreeing deals with Ethan Ross and Dylan Tait, Dunfermline look in danger of being left behind.

With a replacement for Josh Edwards one of the pressing priorities following the defender’s move to Charlton Athletic on Wednesday, McPake and assistant Dave Mackay have identified the need to add experience to the side.

He added: “We’re not going to bring six or seven players in, just with the way it is, the dynamics of the budget and the wages other clubs are offering.

“So, we need to make sure the ones we’re bringing in are right and that they fit into the wage structure given to us by the board.

“If we don’t get the bodies in that we’re after then we’ll work with the younger players. It’s something myself and Dave have had success with before.

“The likes of Kane Ritchie-Hosler, Ewan Otoo, Matty Todd, Lewis McCann, Chris Hamilton and Sam Fisher have got another year under their belt.

“But, in my opinion, we certainly need a wee bit of experience and quality as well to help these younger ones out at certain points in the season.

“And for the depth of the squad we need to add options. We know as a club at the minute the depth of the squad isn’t enough.”

[IMG]https://share2.co.uk/f/1152_471_P300411_16.49_[02].jpg[/IMG]

Post Edited (Thu 20 Jun 21:21)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 21:19

Can they only be worried or focused on their investment when they are sitting in East End Park?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 21:20

Even a technophobe like me knows how easy it is to communicate with people without being in the same place as them. Some of the stuff that gets posted on here is unbelievable.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 21:21

Quote:

Parsdaft, Thu 20 Jun 20:25

Not to forget the monthly fans contribution of ~ £20k that no other team has.

Falkirk Supporters Society (FFS) contributed £350,000 to the club in 2023, and I believe most of its monthly membership fees also go to the club. It wouldn`t surprise me if other clubs also have some similar form of supporter contributions.

To be fair, FFS received shares for its contribution, and as the largest single shareholder it has two directors on the Falkirk FC Board - much like the PST at DAFC.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (DADSC) when you shop online with one of 8000 firms: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc[
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 21:28

That`s what I love about this site ,...
All the positivity.
That`s the spirit chaps.🤪

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 21:35

Reading between the lines and seeing what we`ve seen even just today, it`s fairly obvious some clubs are firing silly money around and offering long deals. As much as we all want to see signings, I think we`d all moan if we found out we were paying a lot for average players and offering long contracts for "experienced" players. You can`t have it both ways.

However, if it`s a case that the usual Scottish player merry-go-round is too expensive, I hope we`re looking elsewhere in the UK and Ireland as a minimum.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 22:13

^^^ spot on.

"Not to forget the monthly fans contribution of ~ £20k that no other team has"

that goes to the academy after it was changed over 18 months ago.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bannerpar  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 22:58

It`s worth going back to the article and separating out the bits that are direct quotes from McCabe. The Courier has form for adding their own narrative to managers` quotes to get fans` attention and and it knows well what pushes the buttons. How much of what was added was approved by JMcC we`ll never know but he can argue that there`s not much wrong with what he has actually said. Ian Murray has also told the Courier that Ayr and Partick have cash to splash so that is just a fact that we have to deal with. There`s always some team or teams that have more money than the rest so nothing new there.
It`s time to get on with it though, one incoming signing against twelve outgoings is not a good place to be.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 23:12

"It is thought...."

Stopped reading right there.

I`d imagine McPake has been seriously misrepresented with this.

The Courier has went downhill fast over the last few years

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 00:21

The bones of that article were in the Press but none of the `meat` speculating about particular players we were interested in.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 05:32

Quote:

Stanza, Thu 20 Jun 21:21

Quote:

Parsdaft, Thu 20 Jun 20:25

Not to forget the monthly fans contribution of ~ £20k that no other team has.

Falkirk Supporters Society (FFS) contributed £350,000 to the club in 2023, and I believe most of its monthly membership fees also go to the club. It wouldn`t surprise me if other clubs also have some similar form of supporter contributions.

To be fair, FFS received shares for its contribution, and as the largest single shareholder it has two directors on the Falkirk FC Board - much like the PST at DAFC.

Stanza, why have you abbreviated Falkirk Supporters Society to FFS? Who`s a very naughty boy then? 🤔🤪

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cfad  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 07:04

Great, having already bought my season ticket for next year at an increased price, this does not fill me with much confidence for a successful season ahead
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 08:48

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 21 Jun 05:32

Stanza, why have you abbreviated Falkirk Supporters Society to FFS? Who`s a very naughty boy then? 🤔🤪

Ooft! Funnily enough, it was the Falkirk Herald that used FFS in the heading for an article about FSS, and I must have subliminally agreed with it!
https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/falkirk-fc-falkirk-supporters-society-officially-clubs-largest-shareholder-4200371

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (DADSC) when you shop online with one of 8000 firms: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc[
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thebear  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 09:48

OK, but it still bothers me. Why don`t you have cash. Is it legacy debts, incredibly careful accounting, too much salary for in contract players or the training academy costs. What happened to nisbett cash is it tue that fans still £20k per month, are the Germans slowly withdrawing a return on their investment. something very wrong
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 10:24

Quote:

thebear, Fri 21 Jun 09:48

OK, but it still bothers me. Why don`t you have cash. Is it legacy debts, incredibly careful accounting, too much salary for in contract players or the training academy costs. What happened to nisbett cash is it tue that fans still £20k per month, are the Germans slowly withdrawing a return on their investment. something very wrong

It will most probably be the day to day running cost of the club, medical bills stadium maintenance, training facilities, fees, pay offs etc I think its important to remember league 1 cost us a fortune and we also paid a fee for fisher, otoo and KRH which I imagine was at least £150k for all 3 minimum.

I suspect our medical bills would`ve been quite high last year.

Accommodation for the loan players too.

Post Edited (Fri 21 Jun 10:25)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 11:01

The point was made in the `Close season deals` thread that we are now paying salaries for positions that were previously held by volunteers - just another example of how we take things for granted when they cost us nothing. A lot of rational arguments have been put forward on here as to why our wages` budget might be restricted but we still have some who can`t see past the size of our crowds.

On the question of the owners withdrawing a return on their investment it should be pointed out that the club has around £10m of historical losses which would have to be made good by making profits before they could even contemplate paying a dividend.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 13:08

I`m not sure there`s anything in this that feels like new information and it`s important to remember that a journalists job is to get eyeballs on an article, not act as PR for a football club.

Our owners` strategy is to professionalise the club so that we benefit in the medium to long term. We knew this already. Other clubs are investing in the first team. We knew that too.

I think there`s a number of competing points in here that is adding up to the overarching frustration so I reckon it`s best to try and seperate out the issues.

1. To run a medium sized business in the long term you need to pay people to do it. Unless you get extraordinarily lucky where you have an army of volunteers who happen to be excellent at what they do but even then, they`ll eventually run out of steam. Which is what seems to have happened here.

2. But even then you have to separate out the issues underneath this. Is the new commercial guy (Alistair?) doing a good job? Way, way, way too early to make an informed judgement on this but early signs are good. He secured Scotland`s biggest Euro fanzone. It might not make a tonne of money but you have to consider things like sponsorship renewals. Makes his job easier when you can say "actually we`re trying to run the stadium as a better resource for the community and we`ll get more eyeballs on your adverts. This is just marketing 101 stuff but that`s his job and he`s doing it. He`s not there to pick the team or recruit them.

3. David Cook? Still too early to make a real judgement but I think we`ve dropped the ball on comms. Something that should be easy enough to fix but won`t happen overnight. They are trying to engage with the support though - hence the meetings & efforts to set up representation groups and whatnot. So it`s disingenuous to suggest this isn`t on his radar.

4. The investors? They`ve got a strategy and they`re sticking to it. And they`re funding it. We made a £1 million operating loss and they`re fronting it with no external debt. You might not like the strategy or agree with it, but it`s a strategy nonetheless. I kind of like the fact that we`re not just plodding on like others and competing by way of offering journeymen a bit more than other clubs. Every business strategy is a calculated gamble and we just have to hope it reaps rewards. One thing is for sure though is that Scottish football is littered with a history of awful, awful business results and I`m glad we`re at least trying something different that`s rooted in sustainability.

5. I still think we have the core of an extremely competitive squad. I`d take Bene, Fisher, Otoo, Hammy, Todd, KRH and Kane ahead of most of the other division. But we`re very light.

6. I do think the biggest issue of all is that Raith and Falkirk are `on the up` and we`re perceived to be stalling. Football fans are essentially illogical, emotional wrecks (myself included) and we can`t handle this.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 13:17

That`s a great post, Rusty. If we`re not careful we`ll ignore the good things happening at the club and become engulfed by a wave of doom.

I`m sure I read the other day that the Rovers are about to sell the naming rights to Stark`s Park. What kept them? I`m also pleased we`ve got a grass pitch which could be a big plus if we get promoted to the Premiership.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Back_oh_the_net  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 13:53

Quote:

cfad, Fri 21 Jun 07:04

Great, having already bought my season ticket for next year at an increased price, this does not fill me with much confidence for a successful season ahead

My heart bleeds for you it really does your post reads like if you had known it was this bad you wouldn’t have bothered buying a season ticket if everyone thought like you then things would a lot worse for the club
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 14:59

Excellent post, Rusty.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cfad  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 15:09

Quote:

Back_oh_the_net, Fri 21 Jun 13:53

Quote:

cfad, Fri 21 Jun 07:04

My heart bleeds for you it really does your post reads like if you had known it was this bad you wouldn’t have bothered buying a season ticket if everyone thought like you then things would a lot worse for the club

Nope, season ticket bought whatever (like every other season), just a bit disappointed with the messaging from our manager before a ball is even kicked!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 15:44

Anyone on this forum ever play poker?🤔💰🏁🏁🏁
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SeasonedPar  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 15:46

Excellent summary Rusty.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: KnebworthPar  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 16:00

Excellent post Rusty, welcome sense of perspective.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Adundeemonkey  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 16:13

Looks like some teams are gambling with Livi coming down giving an opportunity to get promoted. However, considering our history, i can`t believe people would be arguing we go for broke. We suffered a huge loss to get out of League One and need to cover those costs.

The owners were open with us. Their aim is for us to be sustainable, that means investing in infrastructure and building a team within our means.

The player carousel is still to end. There are lots of players out there hoping for contracts at a higher level. Once those spots go then we can go in for them. Same applies to securing loan deals.

Its tuff being a Par but we love it!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 16:52

Rusty`s post was a superb analysis of where we are - I agreed with it all, including the bit about the illogical nature of all football fans!

It`s never made any sort of rational sense for us to invest so much time, money and emotional energy into following a provincial football club, but we still do it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 16:59

There are some decent points there, but I`d add some further comment to that. I`ve highlighted some points in this paragraph in bold:

4. The investors? They`ve got a strategy and they`re sticking to it. And they`re funding it. We made a £1 million operating loss and they`re fronting it with no external debt. You might not like the strategy or agree with it, but it`s a strategy nonetheless. I kind of like the fact that we`re not just plodding on like others and competing by way of offering journeymen a bit more than other clubs. Every business strategy is a calculated gamble and we just have to hope it reaps rewards. One thing is for sure though is that Scottish football is littered with a history of awful, awful business results and I`m glad we`re at least trying something different that`s rooted in sustainability.

I genuinely would like to know how 2022/23 loss was funded. When the accounts were published, I asked here if I was reading the accounts right when it seemed to me that the loss was covered mainly by a combination of a reduction in cash at hand and an increase in what are only listed as `other creditors` in the current liabilities. I had hoped that someone with an accounting background could have cleared that up, but nobody did. When `other creditors` increase by £330k and the cash balance reduces by £500k, are you quite sure that `they`re funding it` and `they`re fronting it with no external debt`, or is that just an assumption? And if the increase in creditors are loans from them (payable within a year, remember), did that ultimately have to come out of last season`s budget, and also possibly this coming season`s?

I don`t mean that to be arsey and I`m sorry if it come across as such, but those accounts did frighten me and I do worry that we`re too passive in just accepting it without sufficient scrutiny. And I`m not sure we can claim any of it is rooted in sustainability when we make such a huge loss. The culture of deference towards `Gavin` in 2012/13 still annoys me, and at times it blows up into a burst of intense anger. We shouldn`t lose track of anything more positive, but it`s legitimate to question why we are not able to compete with other clubs. It might well be true that other clubs are offering stupid money they can`t afford, but just because that`s the `supportive` response to assume that, it doesn`t make it any more valid or correct than an assumption that our budget is unreasonably low because we`re trying to divert too much money away from the team.

We just don`t know and, when comms are as poor as they have been, that`s when articles like this one start to fill the space. And yes, it did feel pretty miserable to read that article.

That said, we`re surely due a season when our team significantly overachieves as we haven`t done that in over a decade. At the moment few would consider us among the favourites but do we have a chance of being the unfancied side that upsets the m

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 17:05

Don`t disagree with any of that Socks. I can`t offer any reassurances on the accounting side to be fair other than I recall seeing a pretty good breakdown from someone I trust. Doesn`t mean either they`re right of course, just that I trust them.

We absolutely shouldn`t avoid scrutiny, especially after what we went through.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 17:43

Club update now on COWS
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 18:10

That`s a pretty comprehensive update from David Cook. There`s also a good contribution from the manager about pre-season training.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 18:45

the update from cook is predictable nothing to get excited about
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 18:52

What exactly did you want him to say? `We`re going to win the League`? Tell us which players he`s trying to sign?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 20:06

I think JM has merely stated facts as a transparent statement. Personally, I don`t see anything wrong with it and don`t read anything into it.

From my perspective, we are making progress. It`s small steps, but it`s progress. I see that we only need to sign a couple of players. The remainder will be loans. Hopefully, we can put the injury issues behind us. We have a good squad who weathered the storm of a season in the championship, so irrespective, I see us pushing on this season. There will be opportunities for the younger players to step up to the first team this year.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 20:29

McPakes interview is talking about mostly transfers and lack off and Cooks blog is a wee bit about transfers and all about the open day etc selling and marketing..
You can’t combine these and imo McPake is frustrated at lack of players he wants signed put to the board.

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 21:01

Cooks statement effectively says to expect the youths to be in the team and we will maybe sign a left back and another…….its not exactly inspiring
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 22:44

I doubt we would have heard from our ceo had McPake not had that interview.
At the end of the day, it’s lots of cliches and doesn’t really tell us what we don’t already know.

meh

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 23:18

Damned if he does and damned if he doesn`t. There are a lot of folk on here who will never be pleased by anything the club does or says.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 23:25

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 21 Jun 23:18

Damned if he does and damned if he doesn`t. There are a lot of folk on here who will never be pleased by anything the club does or says.

People are allowed to be frustrated with the club. Especially when looking at our rivals making early moves. I`ve always hated late summer deals where the player often has to play catch up on preseason or integrating into the team
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 23:26

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 21 Jun 23:18

There will be plenty on here that will back him when they hear stuff with substance in it rather than just waffling. Hasn’t eased the fears at all.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 00:06

Is it possible to `ease the fears` without breaching confidentiality or disclosing information which might be detrimental to negotiations?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 00:25

Fears! Really?
I can`t see anything to be afraid about.

We play football at the level we can afford to.
Worst case scenario, we get relegated and continue to play football at the level we can afford to. Probably win more often and enjoy more weekends too.

Fear? I won`t be sweating or losing sleep over any of it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 00:33

Quote:

PARrot, Sat 22 Jun 00:25

Fears! Really?
I can`t see anything to be afraid about.

We play football at the level we can afford to.
Worst case scenario, we get relegated and continue to play football at the level we can afford to. Probably win more often and enjoy more weekends too.

Fear? I won`t be sweating or losing sleep over any of it.

Inverness are going to enjoy next season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 03:08

The absolute lack of any ambition
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 06:34

How can you develop an academy without having any ambition?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 08:22

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 22 Jun 00:06

Is it possible to `ease the fears` without breaching confidentiality or disclosing information which might be detrimental to negotiations?

That would be a nice thought if there were actually negotiations taking place with several players - which I take with a very large pinch of salt.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 09:05

The old `fake news` argument, eh?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 09:33

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 22 Jun 09:05

Who said it was fake news? I said I take it with a pinch of salt…….

This is the problem with you wee eck, when it comes to the club and the board - they cant do any wrong in your eyes…..you think the situation is acceptable and will have no word said against it.

Its fine to criticise the board when things don’t look right, just like its fine to criticise managers and players when underperforming. Not everything has to be positive and rosy.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 09:44

Would you rather we signed these old hibees like the Rovers have done or would you rather say look at Breen and think, decent prospect, needs a good run of games and to keep fit, but let’s make sure he gets game time and isn’t sat on the bench?

Interesting comment about giving the young lads opportunity in the squad to actually play.

For me, I’m looking forward to seeing Tod and Sutherland for example get a bit more game time.

Post Edited (Sat 22 Jun 09:48)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 09:54

I`d be very surprised if tod and sutherland are able to make any real impact at this level. Hopefully, I`m wrong.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 10:14

`This is the problem with you wee eck, when it comes to the club and the board - they cant do any wrong in your eyes…..you think the situation is acceptable and will have no word said against it.`

Like a lot of folk on here you obviously don`t read my posts or you would have noted that I said during the week that communication between the club and the fans was not good enough, particularly in relation to recruitment. Since then we`ve seen some comments from the manager and the CEO in the media and on COWS. i have no reason to doubt what either had to say and appreciate that there are limits on what they can reveal.

My main frustration with this forum is the way posters come to conclusions without knowing the full facts and take the default position that, if things aren`t going the way they think they should, the board is to blame. If you have a more sceptical view of professional people trying to do their jobs, that`s fine, but I prefer to hear both sides of a story before making a judgement.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 10:27

All signings are a risk. I think the only signing I`ve seen in this league where I was disappointed we didn`t get in there was Easton, and it was pretty clear he`d stay at the Rovers or go to the Premier.

I could see benefit from us signing a bit of experience but equally don`t see why we can`t utilise our youth players. For me the key thing is confidence. These lads are having a ball at youth level but last season our first team must have been miserable. Let`s instill a bit of confidence.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 11:07

Can’t see Sutherland getting game time with Kane, wighton and McCann all above him in the pecking order IF they all stay fit

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 11:28

Quote:

parsfan97, Sat 22 Jun 11:07

Can’t see Sutherland getting game time with Kane, wighton and McCann all above him in the pecking order IF they all stay fit

That’s the spirit! 👍
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 11:32

Quote:

KnebworthPar, Sat 22 Jun 11:28

Quote:

That’s the spirit! 👍

To be fair If he was behind Holmes last season then he is obviously not ready at this level.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 11:39

The lack of ambition was aimed at the relegation comment. Frankly Dunfermline should be aiming for Championship playoffs minimal. McPake misses that this year he can ram it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 11:56

I presume the target is to achieve as high a league position as possible. I don`t see the point in coming out in public and setting a specific target. Words are cheap. Peter Grant told the world we were going to win the League.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 12:01

Quote:

Andrew283, Sat 22 Jun 11:39

The lack of ambition was aimed at the relegation comment. Frankly Dunfermline should be aiming for Championship playoffs minimal. McPake misses that this year he can ram it.

The minimum we should expect as supporters this season should be 5th place. Anything lower then we are infact going backwards.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 12:28

Quote:

Reading between the lines McPake is trying to bring in players and is being blocked by the board on budget .So can`t see how you can lay the blame on him
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 12:32

Quote:

Rigger Al, Sat 22 Jun 12:28

Quote:

Reading between the lines McPake is trying to bring in players and is being blocked by the board on budget .So can`t see how you can lay the blame on him

According to Cook we have several offers out there for players………who to believe is anyones guess……
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 13:15

I suspect that when we make an offer, it will be fair but easily beatable and almost final.
Maybe this is where Cook gets the rep as being hard to deal with.

I`m OK if that is the case as this way players will sign who want to be here.

The flip side is that we will more often than not lose out to a higher bid.

It`s maybe a case of " this is our club, our vision, our goals. This is our offer of £1200 per week, etc. "

And when an agent comes back and says Partick has offered £1500. Cook is maybe instructed to stick to the original offer. "Good luck at Partick".

We have to be prepared to battle for the right signing......but not every signing.

The danger being when someone like Logan Chalmers being part of Thistles team has the ability to tear us apart at East end park.

Who knows, maybe we will secure some quality in the coming weeks, but as it stands, we are lightweight and lacking depth.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shellypar  
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 15:07

Quote:

weemike, Sat 22 Jun 11:32

Quote:

Quote:

That’s the spirit! 👍

To be fair If he was behind Holmes last season then he is obviously not ready at this level.

Regardless of what mcpake and co say, i am 100% sure that blackpool wanted holmes to play a certain amount of minutes, ik that may not be true, but the boy was nowhere near the required standard, he was a nice bloke tbf as i met him a few times in subway, but sutherland has the ability to play at a high level if he continues on the right development path, remember im sure hes only 17 if im correct, has many years to mature and develop into something great

COYP
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 15:26

Quote:

shellypar, Sat 22 Jun 15:07

Quote:

weemike, Sat 22 Jun 11:32

Quote:

Quote:

Can’t see Sutherland getting game time with Kane, wighton, and McCann all above him in the pecking order IF they all stay fit

That’s the spirit! 👍

To be fair, if he was behind Holmes last season, then he is obviously not ready at this level.

Regardless of what mcpake and co say, i am 100% sure that blackpool wanted holmes to play a certain amount of minutes, ik that may not be true, but the boy was nowhere near the required standard, he was a nice bloke tbf as i met him a few times in subway, but sutherland has the ability to play at a high level if he continues on the right development path, remember im sure hes only 17 if im correct, has many years to mature and develop into something great

I doubt holmes had a play requirement, as he`s

A. Been let go by Blackpool.
B. Why would mcpake carry on playing him if he knew he wasn`t good enough and was near the end of the loan term anyway.

Mcpake could`ve just cancelled the loan/ not put him in the match day squad.

You also suggest that Mcpake has flat-out lied at the supporters` meetings.

I think it`s more likely that Holmes is decent and ahead of sutherland in his development, and more importantly, Mcpake wanted to give him an honest chance. It was unfortunate for the lad, and hopefully, he finds a club and can find the net.

As frustrating as it is for us, they see the guys day in and day out in training, and if sutherland was ahead of holmes or McCann, he would feature a lot more.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 16:07

Holmes is 21, Sutherland is 18. Surely that explains why Holmes got priority. I think TS is a real prospect but football`s a fickle business.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 16:22

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 22 Jun 16:07

Holmes is 21, Sutherland is 18. Surely that explains why Holmes got priority. I think TS is a real prospect but football`s a fickle business.

It explains why he is ahead of him in terms of development.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 16:24

Quote:

weemike, Sat 22 Jun 16:22

Quote:

Tbf i would disagree, sutherlane is far better at a younger age, and holmes looked so out of place, nowhere near ahead

COYP
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 16:27

Quote:

shellypar, Sat 22 Jun 16:24

Quote:

Quote:

Tbf i would disagree, sutherlane is far better at a younger age, and holmes looked so out of place, nowhere near ahead

Well, to be fair, I would expect Mcpakes judgement to be better than yours. You`re basically saying that mcpake doesn`t want to get a result by playing a worse player instead of our own prospect.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 16:29

Quote:

weemike, Sat 22 Jun 16:27

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, to be fair, I would expect Mcpakes judgement to be better than yours. You`re basically saying that mcpake doesn`t want to get a result by playing a worse player instead of our own prospect.

Manager sometimes doesnt see things others do, do u think holmes was better? And no that doesnt mean im saying he doesnt want to get a result

COYP
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 16:53

Quote:

shellypar, Sat 22 Jun 16:29

Quote:

weemike, Sat 22 Jun 16:27

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Manager sometimes doesnt see things others do, do u think holmes was better? And no that doesnt mean im saying he doesnt want to get a result

I haven`t seen enough of both players against opposition of a similar standard to make that judgement. But I would expect the professionals who have been hired to make that judgement will do accurately, seeing as they witness them on a day to day basis.

But you have said that mcpake has lied to the forums with regards to his loan arrangements and stated that he would rather play a substandard player who we don`t own over a player who is better which we do own.

I think it is far more likely, he hasn`t lied. And Holmes is infact better equipped at this level than sutherland at the moment.

And for the record, I am not slating sutherlands` ability or potential.

But there must be a reason why he didn`t feature at the end of the season and, in all probability, it`s because he wasn`t ready.

To suggest a manager won`t play the best 15/16 players consistently is mind-boggling.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 17:24

I was very surprised that Taylor Sutherland couldn’t even get on as sub when we were down to the bare bones and needing a goal last season.
What’s the chances of more game time this season ?

In other news, Kerr McInroy has no club or training facilities

Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sat 22 Jun 17:24)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 17:49

Quote:

weemike, Sat 22 Jun 16:53

I think it is far more likely, he hasn`t lied. And Holmes is infact better equipped at this level than sutherland at the moment.

The problem there is you`ve applied common sense and logic. This will never do.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 18:15

Quote:

fcda, Sat 22 Jun 17:49

Quote:

weemike, Sat 22 Jun 16:53

The problem there is you`ve applied common sense and logic. This will never do.

I wasnt tryna say he lied, i was just stating thats what i thought because he wasnt very good, but i still agree if mcpake says that wasnt the case, i should`ve added that was what i thought, and i admit i havent been keeping up with supporters meetings etc, apologies if i didnt make myself too clear, but i will say i have played football with taylor on some occasions and he will be championship standard in a year or too imo

COYP
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 18:16

Again sorry for any confusion, im not the best at conveying what im trying to say, english isnt my first language so apolgies

COYP
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 18:19

Quote:

shellypar, Sat 22 Jun 18:16

Again sorry for any confusion, im not the best at conveying what im trying to say, english isnt my first language so apolgies

Or for most on here tbf

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 18:21

Quote:

EastEndTales, Sat 22 Jun 18:19

Quote:

Or for most on here tbf

🤣, i have to change my keyboard out of cyrillic everytime i type on here

COYP
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 18:26

I was at a dinner where James McPake said he wouldn`t take a player on loan if the lending club set any conditions regarding the player`s selection.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 18:29

Quote:

No need to apologise. I fully understand.

I hope Taylor does feature this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 19:05

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 22 Jun 18:26

I was at a dinner where James McPake said he wouldn`t take a player on loan if the lending club set any conditions regarding the player`s selection.

Ah i see thank u

COYP
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 20:17

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 22 Jun 18:26

Perhaps he was pushed into a corner wee eck given the injury problems and had no option but to agree to some sort of conditions regarding game time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect69  
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 23:36

Got to try Sutherland ahead of McCann. The latter mentioned has had potential for the last 5 years and is not up to the task imo. Lewis Strapp is a must for a replacement for Edwards. I can’t understand how we are so skint. We may be in league 2 once we unearth a gem from our renowned academy
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 09:52

The squad needs a refresh but it’s not possible this summer. Wighton and Kane fighting for the start and McCann warming the bench with Sutherland out on loan for game time sounds about right.

Nothing doing with o’hallaran so another expensive bench/treatment table filler.

We’re relying on our existing players improving and having a better season for any improvement we show. At least Kane should chip in with more goals if he can keep himself fit.

We’ve a decent first 11 but absolutely no squad when we pick up injuries or suspensions. It’s a fingers crossed strategy.

The post below replying to me is by one of .nets finest champions of mediocrity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 11:26

I suppose this is the philosophy of signing younger players. They might not be good enough immediately but given time they should improve, resulting in a better squad overall.

Tricky balance to get right. Time will tell
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 11:36

I don`t think the club is skint. They will have a wage structure that is fair to all. At the end of the day you have to balance the books. Every problem form one perspective brings opportunity from another. I thinks it`s fair to say OHalloran didn`t have a great season interrupted with a period of injury, but he will surely be contributing in terms of his experience with younger players and in training every day.

If I was a young player on the fringes, I would see an opportunity to step up to the first team as a real prospect. Yesterday`s solutions are unfortunately today`s problems where we have to live with the reality of the financial situation we face.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 11:37

Except, the manager didn’t appear to trust the young players last season, perhaps Tod aside ?

Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sun 23 Jun 11:38)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 11:44

Hopefully a Todd and KRH will be like new signings after a full and injury free preseason under their belts

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 11:44

Full pre season for Todd and KRH, plus Otoo with a season behind him at this level? Lots to be excited about if you want to find it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 12:16

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Sun 23 Jun 11:37

Except, the manager didn’t appear to trust the young players last season, perhaps Tod aside ?

Agreed, but a new season, fresh start, championship experience, I would hope to see some of the younger players who the club has invested in over the last few years start to filter into the 1st team. Start as you mean to go on. Last year, we were on the back foot. This year, we know what to expect.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 13:35

Quote:

Dave_1885, Sat 22 Jun 12:32

Quote:

Rigger Al, Sat 22 Jun 12:28

Quote:

According to Cook we have several offers out there for players………who to believe is anyones guess……

Why not both?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 13:42

Quote:

Dave_1885, Sat 22 Jun 09:33

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 22 Jun 09:05

Who said it was fake news? I said I take it with a pinch of salt…….

This is the problem with you wee eck, when it comes to the club and the board - they cant do any wrong in your eyes…..you think the situation is acceptable and will have no word said against it.

Its fine to criticise the board when things don’t look right, just like its fine to criticise managers and players when underperforming. Not everything has to be positive and rosy.

You said you take it with a pinch of salt. So you think it is untrue, ergo fake news.
It`s good that some folk try to justify the boards decisions when so many create situations out of fantasy and lack of facts, which is then progressively discussed as fact.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 14:01

There`s a similar thread to this on the East End Bounce forum. Some connected with the club contributed their experiences of dealing with David Cook and all commended his professionalism and helpfulness in their dealings with him. I find it quite worrying that folk come on here and suggest someone isn`t telling the truth when they have no hard evidence that this is the case. It`s also disappointing that so few people challenge them on it. Unfortunately it`s pretty common throughout social media nowadays.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 16:48

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 23 Jun 14:01

There`s a similar thread to this on the East End Bounce forum. Some connected with the club contributed their experiences of dealing with David Cook and all commended his professionalism and helpfulness in their dealings with him. I find it quite worrying that folk come on here and suggest someone isn`t telling the truth when they have no hard evidence that this is the case. It`s also disappointing that so few people challenge them on it. Unfortunately it`s pretty common throughout social media nowadays.

The thing is it is always the usual suspects and most folk just ignore them.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 18:35

You can have as many offers on the table as you like, it’s the ability to get them through the door that matters.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 19:21

Cooks experience is probably unparalleled in this league being honest. I`d definitely review the website and Comms but a massive well done in the likes of the fan zone and utilising that set up for the strip launch
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 23:11

Amazing . Glad his experience is showing.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 23:23

Quote:

Westies squint kicks, Sun 23 Jun 18:35

You can have as many offers on the table as you like, it’s the ability to get them through the door that matters.

Correct, Westie

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 23:24

Quote:

jake89, Sun 23 Jun 19:21

Cooks experience is probably unparalleled in this league being honest. I`d definitely review the website and Comms but a massive well done in the likes of the fan zone and utilising that set up for the strip launch

Yes, well done but I’d rather have promotion than a successful fan zone

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 23:30

I didn`t realise it was an `either or`. The CEO has many responsibilities he can`t just ignore in favour of one.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 23:41

Quote:

jake89, Sun 23 Jun 19:21

Great, we are going to win the league because we had a successful Fan Zone during the Euros 😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 07:01

A successful fan zone = cash in the bank. I bet you`d be moaning and asking why we didn`t have it if it had gone to Raith or Falkirk. No pleasing some people it seems.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 09:09

Quote:

jake89, Mon 24 Jun 07:01

A successful fan zone = cash in the bank. I bet you`d be moaning and asking why we didn`t have it if it had gone to Raith or Falkirk. No pleasing some people it seems.

I wouldnt be moaning at all…..and if it means money in the bank then cant wait to see the new signings its bringing in unveiled next week!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 09:40

Are you sure? You wouldn`t moan if the fanzone went to a rival and deprived us of a valuable income stream? I`d be raging.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PansPar  
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 09:47

Agreed Jake, huge credit to the club for the fanzone. However much cash that made us, it was a success as a community venture and in proving that we can do more commercially.

I spent too long playing an old version of Championship Manager at the weekend so my expectations are high that we will sign a otherwise unknown 19 year phenomenon from Azerbaijan, who will single-handedly win us the league next year.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 09:54

Quote:

PansPar, Mon 24 Jun 09:47

Agreed Jake, huge credit to the club for the fanzone. However much cash that made us, it was a success as a community venture and in proving that we can do more commercially.

I spent too long playing an old version of Championship Manager at the weekend so my expectations are high that we will sign a otherwise unknown 19 year phenomenon from Azerbaijan, who will single-handedly win us the league next year.

Jetson from the Brazil. Guaranteed goals.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 11:48

the budget is unlikely to change but something has to to get players in

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 17:35

McPake in the Press

https://www.dunfermlinepress.com/sport/24412007.dunfermline-boss-still-looking-quality-additions/

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Boss  
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 18:14

Quote:

GJS93, Wed 26 Jun 17:35

McPake in the Press

https://www.dunfermlinepress.com/sport/24412007.dunfermline-boss-still-looking-quality-additions/

Same old, same old. Yawn

I like black and white (dreaming of black and white)
You like black and white
Run run away
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Football_Par  
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 18:16

GJS93 wrote:

> McPake in the Press
>
> https://www.dunfermlinepress.com/sport/24412007.dunfermline-boss-still-looking-quality-additions/
>
>

looks like were are going all out to find the money for Weatherspoon`s wage demands.

read on Twitter we cant afford to offer Him and Chris Mochrie a deal the latter most likely going to Airdrie.

Hope David plays enough to be worth it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 18:50

Quote:

Football_Par, Wed 26 Jun 18:16

GJS93 wrote:

> McPake in the Press
>
> https://www.dunfermlinepress.com/sport/24412007.dunfermline-boss-still-looking-quality-additions/
>

looks like were are going all out to find the money for Weatherspoon`s wage demands.

read on Twitter we cant afford to offer Him and Chris Mochrie a deal the latter most likely going to Airdrie.

Hope David plays enough to be worth it.

No way would we be signing both when we still have a GK and LB to sign, both a priority over a creative midfielder.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bannockburn Par  
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 20:18

I reckon it’s loan players that will come in at the end of the window. We’re completely skint and it’s going to be a while before we can compete with the top teams in the league. Tough season ahead for us all again.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ianoappar  
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 20:33

That`s the question Wetherspoon or Mochrie best years are behind Wetherspoon and had injury problems,I would rather have Mochrie if we as we say are looking to develop young players.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 20:36

Financial constraints are a fact of life for us. Reading between the lines, it looks likely we will try and sign a couple of players for next season at most, the remainder being loans I suspect. If it`s one or two, they have to be the right quality and experience. If we can`t get the quality, give the younger players an opportunity they need to be able to see a way into 1st team football.

To be honest I'm not keen on Mochrie or Wetherspoon because I don't see them adding to what we already have.

Post Edited (Wed 26 Jun 20:39)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 21:17

If the loans are playing well for us, can`t complain.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net