DAFC.net
Home 07 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Deposit return scheme
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 18:40

This was announced the other day with barely a murmur :-

`A UK deposit return scheme for recycling drinks bottles has been delayed to 2027, meaning it will not be in place until almost a decade after it was proposed. Campaigners say the delay is a “huge disappointment”, adding they are doubly dismayed that the plan will not include glass bottles.

The environment minister Robbie Moore told parliament on Wednesday that the scheme would not include glass because glass recycling would “create undue complexity for the drinks industry and it increases storage and handling costs for retailers”. Large drinks companies have been lobbying the government to remove glass from the scheme across the UK.

He said the delay was because additional time was needed to synchronise the policy of the devolved administrations in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales with that in England. Scotland has agreed to remove glass from its scheme after being asked to by the UK government, but Wales is still including it.`

They were quick enough to veto the proposed Scottish scheme but show no urgency about a UK-wide scheme.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Deposit return scheme
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 21:46

The veto of the Scottish scheme was an utter embarrassment. The UK is run by complete morons. How anyone can ever vote Tory is beyond me. They`re absolute fannies.

No doubt they`re spinning up some waste firms in their in-laws names to get the recycling handling contracts.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 08:01

I wonder if the UK scheme is also set up like the Scottish one where it only works if enough people don`t return their containers?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Sat 27 Apr 11:13

Did they try to estimate the required capacity so as to not overspent on provision?

I hope so.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net