DAFC.net
Home 27 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Calcutta Cup
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 24 Feb 18:34

Four in a row! Hello! Hello!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Calcutta Cup
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Sat 24 Feb 18:44

Superb stuff?

Anyone know where I can get some van Der merwe tartan?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Sat 24 Feb 18:56

Won 5 of last 7 and should have won the draw when we got in front! Incredible stuff just need to push it to a Championship win now
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Sat 24 Feb 20:43

Damn that French `try` . It`s always good to put England to bed.

https://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Sun 25 Feb 08:40

Van Der Merwe`s Great, Great Grandmother must be very proud.

Maybe Rhino Pars can assist with the family tree ancestry šŸ¤”

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 25 Feb 09:44

Don`t think his ancestry has anything to do with him representing Scotland. Something to do with him playing for Edinburgh. Rugby has a very weird set up regarding who can play for who unless I`m not understanding it correctly.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 25 Feb 10:07

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 25 Feb 09:44

Don`t think his ancestry has anything to do with him representing Scotland. Something to do with him playing for Edinburgh. Rugby has a very weird set up regarding who can play for who unless I`m not understanding it correctly.

Yup, 3 years of residency at Edinburgh. Incredible to think heā€™s only been available since 2020
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 25 Feb 10:13

For some reason Scotland seems to get slated for applying the qualification rules which apply to all rugby-playing nations. Players can qualify based on residency for a minimum period as well as their place of birth or that of their parents or grandparents.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sun 25 Feb 10:33

Every nation does it.

The Italians had a lot of South Africans playing for them.

A lot of the All Blacks are Samoan`s and am pretty sure Jona Lomu was Samoan.

Scotland have four South Africans in the team. Steyn, Nel, Schoeman and Van Der Merwe and Tiopulote is Australian.

I met Schoeman at Murrayfield and we had a good laugh whilst conversing with him in his native tongue Afrikaans whilst he struggled with his English but plays for Scotland šŸ¤”šŸ˜

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 25 Feb 10:46

Does Scotland do it more or less than the other home nations?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 25 Feb 11:02

`Does Scotland do it more or less than the other home nations?`

That seems to be the inference. I saw a comment on social media that Scotland had 20 players in their squad who weren`t born in Scotland but I don`t know if that`s right. Fin Smith, who came on as a replacement for England, has Scottish parents but was raised in England so qualifies for both. I think Cameron Redpath is in a similar position but he chose to play for Scotland. The bigger nations tend to benefit from higher immigration to these countries so most teams comprise players of various ethnic origins. I think they increased the minimum residency period recently but I think you can still get a situation where a player could play for more than one nation during his career.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 25 Feb 11:37

We need all the help we can get :-

England has 1,900 rugby union clubs; 6,060 referees; 362,319 pre-teen male players; 698,803 teen male players; 121,480 senior male players (total male players 1,182,602)

Scotland has 241 rugby union clubs; 343 referees; 7,556 pre-teen male players; 13,402 teen male players; 10,556 senior male players (total male players 31,514)

We do OK considering the player base we have

ETA .. I thought Russell had his best game for Scotland yesterday .. his goal kicking was top drawer and he put in a fair few tackles

I think since making him Captain has calmed him down .. He is not trying so much fancy stuff .. just doing the basics very well

Post Edited (Sun 25 Feb 11:48)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 25 Feb 11:50

Jack Dempsey played 14 times for Australia before changing to Scotland.

New Zealand and Australia as bad for it with Pacific Islanders really.

Scotland in rugby are like the African Nations in football, who take a lot of players born in France because they wont get a game for France. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Sun 25 Feb 12:48

I didn`t realise Cameron was born in France as his dad was playing there at the time.

Really couldn`t see his dad letting him play for anyone else!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 25 Feb 13:26

I remember being in South Africa for the 1995 Rugby World Cup with South Africa lifting the trophy after a tense extra-time final against the All Blacks

The South African team consisted 100% local South Africans whilst the All Blacks consisted of several Samoan`s including a certain superstar Jona Lomu.

The All Blacks also had one of the worlds best kickers playing for them at the time, a South African called Andrew Merhtens

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 25 Feb 13:33

Jonah Lomu was born in New Zealand and spent most of his formative years there including all his rugby playing youth years.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 25 Feb 13:43

Its an interesting question and for me, I would argue that, if I am a citizen of a country, and I make that country my home, then I should be entitled to (and would want to) represent that country.

If I use Ireland as an example, residency rules are three years out of five and an intention to remain in the country (along with police checks etc) then you can get citizenship - so why shouldnā€™t that person be able to turn out for his adopted nation?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 25 Feb 14:26

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 25 Feb 13:33

Jonah Lomu was born in New Zealand and spent most of his formative years there including all his rugby playing youth years.

My mistake, apologies.

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Sun 25 Feb 15:07

Humza gets his greasy paws on the cup after fans have all gone.. scared of getting booed like Sturgeon did?

Post Edited (Sun 25 Feb 15:09)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 25 Feb 15:12

Have some time off Parboiled. Touch grass as the kids say these days.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 25 Feb 15:24

I wonder who Parboiled was supporting yesterday?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Sun 25 Feb 16:56

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 25 Feb 15:24

Sure I heard him belting out god save the king with a wee in his eye while waving a butcherā€™s apron pretty sure I also heard him booing flower of Scotland while frothing at the mouth

Come on ye pars āš½ļø
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Sun 25 Feb 17:00

Quote:

back oh the net, Sun 25 Feb 16:56

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 25 Feb 15:24

Sure I heard him belting out god save the king with a wee in his eye while waving a butcherā€™s apron pretty sure I also heard him booing flower of Scotland while frothing at the mouth

He better get his eye checked then....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 25 Feb 20:00

I bet he had haggis and neeps for his tea, washed down with a dram and a pibroch playing in the background - just like the rest of us.šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Sun 25 Feb 20:19

Ireland are, in my opinion, the worst (or arguably best) at using the residency rules. They have so called `project players` - players who were actively scouted from abroad in positions where Ireland needed depth and tempted over with lucrative contracts to play a province - before progressing to the National Team. CJ Stander was the one I remember most clearly, but there have been loads.

Scotland take advantage too - Van Der Merwe is actually an interesting case; he was basically abandoned by SA when he had a recurrent hip injury that required risky, uncertain surgery to address. The SRU took a risk, paid for the surgery and rehab, whilst he was under contract at Edinburgh (we can thank Englishman Richard Cockerill for driving that decision) and the risk has paid off handsomely.

Some you win, some you lose - and Scotland have been doing it for years; Who remembers the `Kilted Kiwis` from the late 90s - the Leslie Brothers, Glenn Metcalfe et al..

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Mon 26 Feb 11:25

Quote:

Bandy, Sun 25 Feb 20:19

Ireland are, in my opinion, the worst (or arguably best) at using the residency rules. They have so called `project players` - players who were actively scouted from abroad in positions where Ireland needed depth and tempted over with lucrative contracts to play a province - before progressing to the National Team. CJ Stander was the one I remember most clearly, but there have been loads.

Scotland take advantage too - Van Der Merwe is actually an interesting case; he was basically abandoned by SA when he had a recurrent hip injury that required risky, uncertain surgery to address. The SRU took a risk, paid for the surgery and rehab, whilst he was under contract at Edinburgh (we can thank Englishman Richard Cockerill for driving that decision) and the risk has paid off handsomely.

Some you win, some you lose - and Scotland have been doing it for years; Who remembers the `Kilted Kiwis` from the late 90s - the Leslie Brothers, Glenn Metcalfe et al..

When we click, we have the most exciting attacking play of anyone currently. Russel, `Huwipalotu` and Van der Merwe must be a nightmare to play against
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Mon 26 Feb 13:24

Jings Iā€™m mair Scotch than the guy scoring that hat trick of tries. I wouldnae mind a meaty ruck with some Zulu warriors though..

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 26 Feb 13:38

You`re `Scotch`? That says it all. Blend or malt?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 26 Feb 14:20

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 26 Feb 13:38

You`re `Scotch`? That says it all. Blend or malt?

Guy is as cringeworthy as the Americans thinking they are from Clan `X`. "Scotch" šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Wed 28 Feb 18:10

Topic Originator: Dave_1885 like
Date: Sun 25 Feb 10:07

Quote:

Yup, 3 years of residency at Edinburgh. Incredible to think heā€™s only been available since 2020

Think it has been changed to five years.

Football is similarā€¦..Jordan Rhodesā€¦.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Feb 19:23

By the same token, presumably these players also qualify for the British and Irish Lions?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Wed 28 Feb 19:46

Quote:

desparado, Wed 28 Feb 18:10

Topic Originator: Dave_1885 like
Date: Sun 25 Feb 10:07

Quote:

Think it has been changed to five years.

Football is similarā€¦..Jordan Rhodesā€¦.

It has indeed been changed to 5 years

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Feb 22:20

Quote:

wee eck, Wed 28 Feb 19:23

By the same token, presumably these players also qualify for the British and Irish Lions?

Yup, as thats a selection of eligible players for the home nations šŸ‘šŸ»
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Feb 23:50

Quote:

Has Gatland been punted from the Lions job yet? We might see a team not just filled with Welsh duds if that`s the case
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 10:52

DunfyDave - he comes from George area and qualified on a residency basis. Your Afrikaans must be much better than mine! Up in Hilton it is very rare to hear Afrikaans and pretty much everyone speaks English (or Zulu). It goes both ways - On a residency basis as a Scot I also recently represented South Africa at the 2023 African Master Athletics Championships managing to win a bronze medal in the 200m 65-69 year old male category. Here is a link to a bio of Duane https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duhan_van_der_Merwe#:~:text=International%20career-,Scotland,a%20try%20in%20the%20process. Was a great weekend last weekend with us winning at Firhill and then beating England in the rugby.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 12:31

Quote:

Andrew283, Wed 28 Feb 23:50

Quote:

Has Gatland been punted from the Lions job yet? We might see a team not just filled with Welsh duds if that`s the case

Andy Farrell was appointed Lions Head Coach last month
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 17:47

Quote:

RhinoPars, Thu 29 Feb 10:52

DunfyDave - he comes from George area and qualified on a residency basis. Your Afrikaans must be much better than mine! Up in Hilton it is very rare to hear Afrikaans and pretty much everyone speaks English (or Zulu). It goes both ways - On a residency basis as a Scot I also recently represented South Africa at the 2023 African Master Athletics Championships managing to win a bronze medal in the 200m 65-69 year old male category. Here is a link to a bio of Duane https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duhan_van_der_Merwe#:~:text=International%20career-,Scotland,a%20try%20in%20the%20process. Was a great weekend last weekend with us winning at Firhill and then beating England in the rugby.

^^^ Sawubona Unjani obhejane šŸ‘

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 15:17

Picking a Lions Team to beat Australia must be one of the least taxing jobs in professional sport...

I guess they`ve got a bit of time but they need their NRL defectors to take to Union quickly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 07:40

Quote:

DunfyDave, Thu 29 Feb 17:47

Kahle kakhulu ngiyabonga
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Mon 4 Mar 17:08

Quote:

RhinoPars, Sun 3 Mar 07:40

Quote:

Kahle kakhulu ngiyabonga

Tholani igumbi, Nina nobabili šŸ¤£

Post Edited (Mon 04 Mar 17:08)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Mar 20:25

Quote:

Luxembourg Par, Mon 4 Mar 17:08

Quote:

RhinoPars, Sun 3 Mar 07:40

Quote:

Kahle kakhulu ngiyabonga

Tholani igumbi, Nina nobabili šŸ¤£

^^^ Can we exchange photographs first?

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 13:37

šŸ˜€
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 19:05

Blown it yet again šŸ™„šŸ™„
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 19:19

Correct Dave 1885 .. we approached the game like it was a formality for a superior Scottish team .. we are a total shambles .. There is not 2 players in that team who know what each other are going to do .. We have a lot of talented young players but no leadership .. no direction .. no game plan .. Townsend has to go at the end of the tournament .. we are going backwards .. just saying

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 19:26

We have had so many opportunities in his tenure to get to the last weekend with the chance of winning the 6 Nations, but have blown it in a previous, winnable game - its infuriating to have such talent and consistently fail to get there
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 20:43

I didn`t see the game today but we did manage to score four tries. I remember not so long ago when Scotland could hardly score a try a game so something must have improved surely?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 20:50

Seems like it`s been a very competitive six nations this time round. While I`d obviously preferred to see Scotland win today it`s good to see Italy getting encouraging results to go with their much improved performances.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 21:55

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 9 Mar 20:43

I didn`t see the game today but we did manage to score four tries. I remember not so long ago when Scotland could hardly score a try a game so something must have improved surely?

Yeah, we can score more, the problem is we then still managed to lose to Italyā€¦..šŸ˜‚ which makes it even more frustrating as we are a much better side these days that SHOULD be competing for (and winning) a 6 nations title

Post Edited (Sat 09 Mar 21:56)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 22:16

One thing that seems to have cost us this season is a lack of discipline i.e. conceding too many penalties. That must be down to the players rather than the coach.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 22:32

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 9 Mar 22:16

One thing that seems to have cost us this season is a lack of discipline i.e. conceding too many penalties. That must be down to the players rather than the coach.

Townsend sets up the team with a slower ruck than most teams which in turn can encourage opposition teams to get more players into the ruck quicker
This causes more chances of a turnover and to combat that Scottish players tend to hold on or kill rucks more often leading to penalties
Slower rucks can work with some teams such as the South Africans because they have the strength and skill to hold off the opposition unfortunately our forwards aren`t quite as good but Townsend refuses to change it to use the strengths of our more dynamic players
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 23:21

That`s too technical for me! Peter Wright, who isn`t Townsend`s biggest fan, says it`s down to the players and Huw Jones said the players didn`t do a good enough job of carrying out the game plan.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 14:18

Quote:

Buspasspar, Sat 9 Mar 19:19

Correct Dave 1885 .. we approached the game like it was a formality for a superior Scottish team .. we are a total shambles .. There is not 2 players in that team who know what each other are going to do .. We have a lot of talented young players but no leadership .. no direction .. no game plan .. Townsend has to go at the end of the tournament .. we are going backwards .. just saying

^^^ Townsend does NOT have to go BPP

This is one of the best Scottish teams I have ever watched.

It is also one of the best Italian teams I have ever watched.

Italy drew with France let`s remember and were only unfortunate with the last penalty kick and could possibly have won that match.

We must not take anything away from the Italians they played brilliantly and it was a magnificent game to watch.

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 18:23

Understand DD .. Just so frustrating to be the nearly team yet again

Italy are progressing big style and good on them

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 18:41

Quote:

DunfyDave, Sun 10 Mar 14:18

Quote:

Italy drew with France let`s remember and were only unfortunate with the last penalty kick and could possibly have won that match.

We must not take anything away from the Italians they played brilliantly and it was a magnificent game to watch.

The best Scotland team youā€™ve ever watched that has crumbled under the pressure once againā€¦ā€¦
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 19:04

Quote:

Dave_1885, Sun 10 Mar 18:41

Quote:

DunfyDave, Sun 10 Mar 14:18

Quote:

The best Scotland team youā€™ve ever watched that has crumbled under the pressure once againā€¦ā€¦

^^^ Scotland fought to the final second of the match. They definitely did not succumb or surrender. They fought to the bitter end.

Watch this space! I am going to call a very close last game for Italy against Wales in Cardiff and suspect, much like Italy v Scotland, it could be anyone`s match and hedging my bet on an Italian victory.

^^^^ Called it.

Italy beat Wales today.

This has to be the closest, toughest, most exciting Six Nations ever.

Italy are on the rise.

DunfyDave

Post Edited (Sat 16 Mar 17:06)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 05:31

Oh how I would love for a coach to take over who is from the same mould as Ian mcgeechan or Jim telfer the work Gregor Townsend has done has been amazing but letā€™s be honest heā€™s taken us as far as he can

Come on ye pars āš½ļø
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 17:32

Sandy Smith (Edinburgh Fan and columnist)

Even as a Scotland fan of advancing years, it`s hard to express my disappointment in the game against Italy, and even harder to explain it.

As an Edinburgh fan Itā€™s also hard to look at our players and point to someone who put in an outstanding shift. They all seemed to do something that youā€™d knock off a few ratings points for.

Pierre Schoemanā€™s needless penalty at the start of the second half that saw George Horne`s try chalked off. Duhan Van der Merwe being out of position for Italyā€™s second try - again - and butchering a basic two-on-one. Sam Skinner conceding the penalty that gave Italy a two-score lead.

The other substitutes, Jamie Ritchie and Ewan Ashman, looked solid in the time they got but their efforts made no difference to the result.

And I almost forgot about Ali Price, which tells you all you need to know there.

Grant Gilchrist did nothing wrong and Scotland`s line-out was solid under his direction but as someone in the ā€˜leadership groupā€™ could he have done more to steady the ship as a whole?

We badly needed someone of his stature to figuratively put their foot on the ball and get the team to take a collective breath but there was little in the way of leadership on the field, co-captains notwithstanding, and the blame for that has to lie with the head coach.

Itā€™s hard not to draw the conclusion that the issue is not about lack of talent or ability but is instead one of application and mental fragility.

I`m paraphrasing Churchill when I say never has so little been achieved by those capable of so much more.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 18:13

I`m always frustrated after international games (not just rugby) when you hear coaches say things like `lessons will be learned` eg about poor discipline. These are supposed to be the best players in the country. Shouldn`t they have learned these lessons a long time ago?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 Mar 17:09

Last week I Called it.

Italy beat Wales today.

This has to be the closest, toughest, most exciting Six Nations ever.

Italy are on the rise.

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sat 16 Mar 19:46

Yeah but Wales are a bit rubbish at the moment remember.
Or as they prefer to say , they`re in transition.
Doesn`t say much for Scotland that they nearly beat us.
You have to think that we either took our foot off the gas in the 2nd half against them .... Or we ran out of puff.
We do tend to start well .
I agree that Italy are on the rise , but Wales are poor ... For now.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 Mar 20:44

Nobody is a bit rubbish WidTink

The Six Nations has never been more competitive.The results show that.

Wales reached the quarter finals in the Rugby World Cup a few months back. They are a good team.

Scotland are amazing to watch. Remember Van Der Merwe`s hatrick against England at Murrayfield and his solo try against England last year at Twickenham?

Italy won 2 matches (Scotland and Wales) and drew one (France) and narrowly lost to England and still came 5th

Exciting competition.
Wish our SPFL had a bit.

DunfyDave

Post Edited (Sun 17 Mar 06:35)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 19 Mar 09:53

Can anybody give me an idea of the ticket prices for rugby internationals at Murrayfield or Twickenham?

I ask because they have just put tickets on sale for the Wallabies` match against the British & Irish Lions at the MCG in Melbourne, and I am quite taken aback by their prices. The cheapest tickets are $279 (under 16/pensioner concessions), rising to $649. If you divide by two, you are not very far from the pound equivalent for these prices.

Post Edited (Tue 19 Mar 10:22)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 19 Mar 19:49

Quote:

OzPar, Tue 19 Mar 09:53

Can anybody give me an idea of the ticket prices for rugby internationals at Murrayfield or Twickenham?

I ask because they have just put tickets on sale for the Wallabies` match against the British
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Tue 19 Mar 21:55

Quote:

OzPar, Tue 19 Mar 09:53

I ask because they have just put tickets on sale for the Wallabies` match against the British & Irish Lions at the MCG in Melbourne, and I am quite taken aback by their prices. The cheapest tickets are $279 (under 16/pensioner concessions), rising to $649. If you divide by two, you are not very far from the pound equivalent for these prices.

I was at the Scotland game in Cardiff and tickets were between Ā£50(basically row 1) to Ā£150 for standard admission, if you go into lounges or hospitality you can probably double or treble that price i'd guess
Murryfield is pretty similar from memory

Post Edited (Tue 19 Mar 21:56)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Tue 19 Mar 22:06

This season;
Category France / England
Bronze Ā£78.75 / Ā£78.75
Silver Ā£105 / Ā£110.25
Gold Ā£141.75 / Ā£147
Platinum Ā£157.50 / Ā£162.75

Far too much so stopped going
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 20 Mar 00:39

Thanks guys. Looks like we are getting royally ripped off here.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 20 Mar 13:50

Hi Oz

It can range anywhere between Ā£75 for cheap behind the posts tickets to Ā£160 for half-way line.

Both Thistle and Centenary suites for hospitality are around Ā£895 - Ā£1,295 per ticket

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 11:08

Thanks, DunfyDave. Rugby has become a costly game to watch.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 12:20

Apart from Mighty Mouse`s team, I`ve never really warmed to rugby. Too much standing about and not enough action. The boring up and under and brute force tactics don`t inspire and the scrum is long past its usefulness. It keeps collapsing to the chagrin of the weary spectator. The lineout is only won by the team that can cheat best by throwing the ball slightly squint and lifting your ball catcher to three times his height. The ball is the wrong shape. They call it rugby football. Try dribbling that thing half-way up the park. No I don`t see the relevance, make the ball round, put nets on the bottom part of the posts and turn it into a real game.

Post Edited (Thu 21 Mar 12:22)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 16:56

Quote:

Paralex, Thu 21 Mar 12:20

Apart from Mighty Mouse`s team, I`ve never really warmed to rugby. Too much standing about and not enough action. The boring up and under and brute force tactics don`t inspire and the scrum is long past its usefulness. It keeps collapsing to the chagrin of the weary spectator. The lineout is only won by the team that can cheat best by throwing the ball slightly squint and lifting your ball catcher to three times his height. The ball is the wrong shape. They call it rugby football. Try dribbling that thing half-way up the park. No I don`t see the relevance, make the ball round, put nets on the bottom part of the posts and turn it into a real game.

^^^ Good post and brought a smile to my face.

Rugby of yore was not far from your lengthy description.

It has modernised into a fantastic spectator sport and is very fast paced with lots of running at your opponent and always gets the fans on their feet.

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 17:22

From my limited knowledge of the rules, it appears that the whole point of the scrum has been removed, the hooker doesnā€™t hook, and the ball is played immediately into your own 2nd row.
Not much point in the scrum now.

Similarly, I see many throw ins that look distinctly ā€˜not-straightā€™ but rarely get punished.
Although Scotland managed to screw one up badly early against Ireland šŸ™„

Not to mention the amount of passes that appear to be clearly forward (oh momentumā€¦)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 17:41

I agree with the scrum debate LP. It has had its day. The input team nearly always win the scrum and can only really lose possession if they collapse the scrum.

I was at the opening game of Scotland v Ivory Coast game in the 1995 WC and it was a landslide victory to the Scots but highlighted the dangers involved in scrummages particularly with inexperienced teams.

The very next match Ivory Coast played Tonga and one player was paralysed from the neck down for life.

It`s not uncommon either.

DunfyDave

Post Edited (Thu 21 Mar 17:43)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 18:06

Lux sums it up .. when rugby was rugby the feed into the scrum had to be straight .. the skill was the hookers ability with a solid platform from the other 7 to hook the ball back into his own side .. Line out .. I have never ever seen a straight England line out ..

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 19:37

I agree, the game seems to have changed a lot since I played it at Woodmill under the guidance of ex Scotland international Colin Galbraith. We used to spend a lot of time working on the scrums and rucks, and kicking was a rarity, usually only after a try.
Watching international rugby now, I agree, scrums and line outs are hardly competitive or fair, but the main change I have noticed is the amount of kicking, sometimes there are spells of play where the ball is just booted back and forward, it`s like watching the Airdrie and Wimbledon football teams of the early 90s play long ball football
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 23:34

Rugby Union has changed massively since I played 18 years ago, the scrums are the most infuriating part.

Think they have tried to adapt it more towards League as thats a faster paced game with more attacking emphasis on it.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
Ā© 2021-- DAFC.net