Dunfermline Athletic

Clyde 1-2 Dunfermline

Author: Alistair Campbell Date: Saturday, 23rd Feb 2008

Dunfermline got back to winning ways with a welcome 3 points at a windy Broadwood.

Stephen Simmons scores

Two first half goals from Simmons and Burchill gave the Pars a comfortable lead at half-time and although Pat Clarke pulled one back from the spot for Clyde, the Pars survived a some late scares to claim their first league win in Cumbernauld since a fortnight after the stadium opened back in February 1994.

Simmons wheeling away to celebrate

Dunfermline made one enforced change from the side that drew with Partick - Nicky Phinn coming in to play right midfield in place of Kevin Harper whose red card last week had been upheld on appeal.

Thus they started with Gallacher in goals, a back four of Woods, Wilson, Thomson and Morrison, a midfield of Phinn, Simmons, Glass and Burke on the left; Crawford and Burchill completed the 4-4-2 formation.

Clyde featured 3 former Pars in their line-up: Iain Campbell. Pat Clarke and Craig McKeown.

The Pars came to terms first with the difficult overhead conditions and after an early scare, when Gallacher was forced to parry a David McGowan header, took the lead after 11 minutes when a low driven cross by Burke on the left was bravely met by a diving Simmons - the ball looping over the head of the static keeper Hutton, to the seeming surprise of many in the ground.

The Pars grew in confidence and doubled their lead after 35 minutes when a swerving Scott Morrison drive was spilled by Hutton leaving the ever alert Burchill to tap in his 13th of the season.

Meantime Crawford and McKeown were yellow carded in an off the ball incident which saw the Pars awarded a free kick.

Clyde had given a debut to McKay, who was rumoured to have a bit of pace about him and Wilson and Thomson had to be alert to any breaks from the home team.

Bomber Brown took decisive action at half-time hooking Fagan and Bestvina, replacing them with Michael McGowan and Jimmy Gibson and this seemed to galvanise the home outfit as they had much the better of the early proceedings after the break.

After Clarke had spurned a couple of good opportunities they got due reward for their efforts after 67 minutes when Wilson gave away a soft penalty with a slightly mis-timed challenge on David MacGowan as the Pars had tried to play their way out of trouble.

Players celebrate going 1-0 up

This time Pat Clarke confidently dispatched the kick past Gallacher. Although the recent slimmed down (at least numerically) squad meant there wasn`t a great deal of experience on the bench, manager McIntyre decided to defend the one-goal lead by substituting the front pair, introducing McManus to lead the line on his own and giving a debut to 16-year old Paul Willis on the right of a 5-man midfield.

The youngster showed no nerves and one or two nice touches in the five minutes he had on the park.

views: 2,948
Story Archives

To top