Dunfermline Athletic

Dunfermline Athletic 2 - 1 Clyde

Author: Stephen Taylor Date: Saturday, 12th Apr 2008

The Pars stumbled to a narrow home win over relegation threatened Clyde. A slightly debatable penalty brought the Pars level before player-manager, Jim McIntyre, slotted home the winner.

Maybe we are all spoiled by too much football on TV but it seems that the Pars support have voted with their feet by staying at home which is a genuine reflection on the lack of entertainment on display at East End Park in recent months. Yet another dismal display which just about got up to an average level in the second half saw the Pars take three points from Clyde.

With Paul Gallacher in goals, the back four were Woods, Wislon, Thomson and Muirhead. The midfield quartet was Simmons, Glass,Young and Burke. Stevie Crawford and Jim McIntyre led the attack.

A completely boring, in fact, tedious first half hour or so had nothing to report other than misplaced passes and no chances, for either side. One lot being as bad as the other. It took the Pars until 27 minutes to win their first corner from which Burke hit a reasonable shot across goals. He followed that up with another good effort a minute later which he hit over from 8 yards out.

Calum Woods picked up a yellow card for a shirt pull as Clyde threatened to break away. Former Rangers star Jorg Albertz hit a ferocious free kick that just went past Gallacher`s left hand post in 40 minutes. McIntyre put over a ball from a cross by Burke.

Just as the fans were looking forward to their half time Bovril, Clyde took the lead with a good break down the right wing and Pat Clarke slotted home very easily right on the stroke of half time. Half time 0-1.

Simmons was replaced by Ian Williamson at the start of the second half.

The game was only 3 minutes into the new half with the Pars showing a little bit more urgency. A break by Crawford to the edge of the Clyde area saw him bundled off the ball. The referee seemed to take an age to signal a penalty with the Clyde players disputing if the infringement happened outside the area. Stephen Glass slotted home the penalty after the Clyde players had calmed down and the referee had checked with his linesman twice.

Williamson set up Burke for a good cross which was cleared for a corner in 53 minutes. Wilson headed over from the corner. Burke was then put through by Crawford in 60 minutes but his lack of pace saw him closed down and his shot blocked.

The Pars were playing better and the visitors were not showing much going forward whatsoever. It was no surprise when the Pars took the lead. A good move down the right saw Crawford cut back a great pass to McIntyre who shot low into the net. Ian Williamson had a chance to increase the lead in 75 minutes as he stabbed a ball past the post.

Wilson got a yeallow card in 77 minutes which appeared to be for persistent fouling.

Clyde were throwing men forward by this time and Gallacher made a great reaction save in 81 minutes from a close shot that he saw late. Despite Burchill coming on for McIntyre there were no more chances created and the game limped out 2-1 despite the referee adding about half an hour injury time. Final score 2-1.

OK, the Pars won but it was far from impressive. There was obviously more for Clyde to play for but the first half in particular was poor. The second half was much better with the Pars simply showing a bit more hunger and a bit more creativity.

views: 3,520
Story Archives

To top