Walking on eggshellsDate: Wednesday, 13th Jan 2021
It was cringeworthy to watch FM Nicola Sturgeon, in the Scottish Government Covid briefing, ever so sensitively choosing her words to criticise the deplorable Celtic trip to Dubai.
She is not a football fan though her Family support Ayr Utd. However, the TV audience was well aware of the reasons for her caution. Subsequently, the Scottish Conservative Leader and Asst Referee, Douglas Ross, walked on egg shells lest he face criticism.
The impotence of this and previous Scottish Governments in cleansing the Augean stables of sectarianism has empowered the likes of Celtic.They have not apologised for their actions.The tragedy is that it looks like the sacrificial lambs, offered up by the Football Authorities, are the innocent lower leagues, which will have a devastating impact on our little communities.
We should hardly be surprised at the arrogance of Celtic.
1) Neil Doncaster and Iain Maxwell have fiddled as Rome burned in the midst of cringeworthy singing, repulsive banners, missile throwing, assaults, vandalism, flares etc.
2) There were no sanctions when eg Derek McInnes and Steve Clarke were the victims of sectarian bile
3) The ghastly scenes at Parkhead, after the Celtic defeat to Ross County, went unpunished, yet Police ended up in Hospital, Police Vans were vandalised, barriers toppled, cameramen threatened ,missiles thrown etc
4) The oven ready solution ie "Strict Liability", as employed by every other UEFA Nation and outlined by Dr Rosmarijn Van Kleef at the Scottish Parliament; (which would lead to clubs being responsible for their fans and employees ie fines, points deducted, stadia partially or fully closed), was voted down by the Football Authorities.
5) Celtic used their immense influence to get the Offensive Behaviour At Football Act repealed.
6) Celtic benefit from what UEFA describe as the most inequitable income distribution in Europe.
7) Celtic get preferential treatment from the SPFL.Just ask St Mirren,Kilmarnock or Hibernian.
8) When Michael Matheson was Justice Minister there was renewed optimism as he threatened to impose this on Hampden but he frightened the horses and was replaced by the ineffective Humza Yousaf.When the Morrow Report(2017) came out, Nil By Mouth made an FOI request regarding the number of sectarian incidents at Football matches.Yousaf blocked it on the grounds that it would have undermined the Football Authorities trust in Holyrood.
Hence Hampden has every confidence Holyrood will not tackle the cesspit of sectarianism. That has to change. The continued perception that they are paper tigers facilitates Celtic acting as if they are above the law.